Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 619880 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5505 on: March 02, 2024, 05:26:36 pm »
My interpretation of Chimay Blue Grande Reserve. I soaked a few sticks of medium toast French oak with Cavaldos Apple brandy. Tapped 30 days after kegging, needs more time to mature with the oak. It is good though but needs more of that barrel aged influence. Next go around I may splurge for the real deal barrel and increase batch size because I am very happy with the base beer! Cheers!!

Nice looking beer! Love Belgian Dark Strong Ales. I have one on tap where I soaked bourbon with bourbon barrel oak cubes and it turned out good. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5506 on: March 08, 2024, 09:28:51 pm »

obviously not happy with the clarity of this pils, though the pic doesnt do it complete justice. its chill haze rather than sediment, though i forgot how insanely powdery and persistent diamond is. another data point.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5507 on: March 09, 2024, 04:32:07 am »
Diamond is gin clear for me - fermented under pressure at 54F, I get clear pretty clear beer at day 5 and rack to serving keg and lager at 34F for 2 weeks.  But I repitch up to 7-10 times.  It really hits its stride around the 3rd repitch.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5508 on: March 09, 2024, 06:43:45 am »
Diamond is gin clear for me - fermented under pressure at 54F, I get clear pretty clear beer at day 5 and rack to serving keg and lager at 34F for 2 weeks.  But I repitch up to 7-10 times.  It really hits its stride around the 3rd repitch.

Cheers.

nice, im brewing the 3rd repitch of it today, in process now. just a lager with cascade n hallertau

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5509 on: March 09, 2024, 07:48:42 am »

obviously not happy with the clarity of this pils, though the pic doesnt do it complete justice. its chill haze rather than sediment, though i forgot how insanely powdery and persistent diamond is. another data point.

I'll state the obvious, time clears most beers. Not everyone has patience to wait. What I do is use brew tan B in the last 15 mins of the boil and when kegging or bottling, I add 7cc of Biofine/5 gallons. My beers are crystal clear after a few pints have been pulled.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5510 on: March 09, 2024, 10:01:44 am »

I'll state the obvious, time clears most beers. Not everyone has patience to wait. What I do is use brew tan B in the last 15 mins of the boil and when kegging or bottling, I add 7cc of Biofine/5 gallons. My beers are crystal clear after a few pints have been pulled.

i heard about biofine another time very recently. im using gelatin, i find it can be good

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5511 on: March 09, 2024, 10:15:34 am »

i heard about biofine another time very recently. im using gelatin, i find it can be good
It is good, it works. I used to use it but switched to biofine because in my experience it works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5512 on: March 09, 2024, 10:20:42 am »
For those who use Diamond Lager, do you prefer it over other dry lager yeasts? I've never tried it. I've used lots of 34/70 and CellarScience German and really like the results.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5513 on: March 09, 2024, 10:40:24 am »
For those who use Diamond Lager, do you prefer it over other dry lager yeasts? I've never tried it. I've used lots of 34/70 and CellarScience German and really like the results.

others mileage my vary, but the best dry lager yeast i used was S-189. i should have gotten it this time, but it always seems to be pricier than others at least where i am.

havent dried novalager, but also maybe should have.

and when you are recommended to buy 2 packs of lager yeast, that $2 more expensive turns into $4 more.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5514 on: March 09, 2024, 11:00:14 am »

At this point, I prefer it over both 34/70 and Novalager. I wasn't overly impressed with Novalager. Not bad, but nothing special.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5515 on: March 09, 2024, 11:16:44 am »

34/70 is my go to yeast. Diamond is also great. S-189 is another performer that I have used with good results. I will add that I much prefer dry yeast over liquid for my lagers. No mess, no fuss, no rehydration, no starters, nothing but just sprinkle it in!!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5516 on: March 10, 2024, 10:14:52 am »

Diamond Lager is my usual one now -- 34/70 often gives me a bit of a cidery taste. S-189 is my other usual one -- it drops clear so well, and has a clean flavor. I'll use NovaLager every once in awhile...a solid performer, too.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewmaster
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5517 on: March 10, 2024, 09:35:09 pm »

A very old-school IPA, based on a 2000-era recipe from the Maltose Falcons. I am nostalgic for these kinds of late 1990s/early 2000s IPAs, and this particular batch delivered! It used Chinook, Magnum, Centennial, Strisslespalt, and Cascade, all adding up to a blast of pine and resin.

Details on my blog: https://andybrews.com/2024/03/10/olde-tyme-ipa/
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5518 on: March 11, 2024, 05:30:12 pm »

A very old-school IPA, based on a 2000-era recipe from the Maltose Falcons. I am nostalgic for these kinds of late 1990s/early 2000s IPAs, and this particular batch delivered! It used Chinook, Magnum, Centennial, Strisslespalt, and Cascade, all adding up to a blast of pine and resin.

Details on my blog: https://andybrews.com/2024/03/10/olde-tyme-ipa/

centennial is on my to-use again list after hearing a professional brewer explaining how underrated it is and how its hop properties are so good at making it over into the finish product. also lol strisslespalt. the 4th brew i made was some kit IPA that mixed a lot of amarillo and saaz and that was probably the first beer i made that really blew me away. it was amazing i thought.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5519 on: March 14, 2024, 03:42:24 pm »
Semi-sweet passionfruit mead. It's my first mead in years, and it is my best batch by far. I'm glad I got back into it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer