Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Bins  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain Bins
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:58 am »
I would like to move to bulk base grain storage this summer. Any one have recommendations on decent bins for grain storage? 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Grain Bins
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:23:27 am »
For my base malts I like these: IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container, 50-Pound, Clear/Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006JRRRQI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uu-FCbVXYFN14

For adjuncts/specialties I like these: Bergan Stack-N-Stor 40 Stackable Storage https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00004X14K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cw-FCbT2V1179

Most importantly is that they have a lid to prevent rodents and to keep moisture out.  Depending on where you live you may want to get a dehumidifier for the grain storage room. I live in Utah and don't have problems with moisture because, well, desert.  Good luck!  Hope it works out for you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:42:11 am »
Thank you. I'm in Colorado so moisture is not an issue. Thinking about starting small with 3 base grains since I primarily use Pilsner and Munich malts in a lot of my beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:51:37 am »
I leave the grain in the bags and put the bags in plastic storage tubs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:55 am »
Yes, I would second this!  This is a good technique! Roll the tops of the bags down and press out as much air as possible then tape the tops shut, then lid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:20 am »
I leave the grain in the bags and put the bags in plastic storage tubs.

Thanks Denny. I had thought about that yesterday. Seems like the most cost effective way as well.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:03:56 am »
I like 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids.  Airtight, but tight, and a handy size.  50-55 lbs is ~2 1/2 buckets.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:49 am »
Vittle Vaults are my go to storage container, but I also use buckets with gamma lids. Both are good. The VV are large enough to hold a full sack.

https://vittlesvault.com/products/outback-50/

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:24:12 am »
   Your climate is fairly similar to ours, just a little bit more humid. I've found that grain left in the bag is fine in the basement. Now if you have pest issues then you definitely some type of containers, even if they aren't airtight. The only thing I've had a problem with is flaked rice, even at cool [mid 50's to mid 60's] temps it'll start to get a bit rancid after several months. Mebbe it's the radon gas ;).
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 06:10:58 am »
I don’t purchase my base malts in bulk....yet.  But I simply reseal my specialty grains in the plastic bags they were bought in using my FoodSaver machine.  I can’t use the FoodSaver to pull a vacuum due to the type of bag, but forcing the air out and resealing the bag is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Machine-Starter-Certified/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KZO20U4BTPTS&keywords=foodsaver&qid=1551964131&s=gateway&sprefix=Foodsaver%2Caps%2C799&sr=8-3
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:29:41 am »
I don’t purchase my base malts in bulk....yet.  But I simply reseal my specialty grains in the plastic bags they were bought in using my FoodSaver machine.  I can’t use the FoodSaver to pull a vacuum due to the type of bag, but forcing the air out and resealing the bag is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Machine-Starter-Certified/dp/B0044XDA3S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KZO20U4BTPTS&keywords=foodsaver&qid=1551964131&s=gateway&sprefix=Foodsaver%2Caps%2C799&sr=8-3
Another good option for smaller amounts of specialty malts is Mason jars,  available up to 64 oz at Walmart.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 06:41:51 am »
I prefer to let the dealer store bulk ingredients. I simply buy from a high volume dealer about a week out to ensure fresh quality grains are delivered just in time to brew.  This allows me spontaneity and variety without consuming space for storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:53:25 am »
I prefer to let the dealer store bulk ingredients. I simply buy from a high volume dealer about a week out to ensure fresh quality grains are delivered just in time to brew.  This allows me spontaneity and variety without consuming space for storage.

There's wisdom here.  When I start to accumulate little jars with odds and ends of specialty grains I may never use up, I am inspired to reboot, discard said grains and return to simplified recipes.  I hate to feel compelled to complicate a recipe or brew a certain style to use a grain just because it's there on the shelf.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 07:07:36 am »
Vittle Vaults are my go to storage container, but I also use buckets with gamma lids. Both are good. The VV are large enough to hold a full sack.

https://vittlesvault.com/products/outback-50/

Same here.  They are always a decent price on Amazon and the 50lb vault will hold 55lbs of grain.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 09:45:11 am »

There's wisdom here.  When I start to accumulate little jars with odds and ends of specialty grains I may never use up, I am inspired to reboot, discard said grains and return to simplified recipes.  I hate to feel compelled to complicate a recipe or brew a certain style to use a grain just because it's there on the shelf.

I too tend to be spontaneous in my brewing. Unfortunately, the nearest HBS is 130 miles away and stuff ordered online usually takes most of a week to arrive, unless I pay 1/2 the cost of the supplies for expedited delivery. Since I can't just hop over to the LHBS, a well stocked larder is necessary. I usually have on hand at least 4 of 5 bags of base malt, and varying amounts of 20 or more specialty malts and grains. With a comparable variety of hops and dry yeast I generally can brew whatever I happen to feel like. If I get a bunch of odds and sods that are getting long in the tooth I just make some beer stew, which usually is better than attempts at any particular style. The one thing I rarely by and therefore don't have on hand is liquid yeast, after a week in the back of a Fedex truck it's usually cooked in the summer or frozen solid in the winter.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!