Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW vs Oxiclean  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: PBW vs Oxiclean
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 12:45:37 pm »
If you're really looking to save $$$ and use supermarket products,  plain distilled vinegar in a little hot water will take care of the residue left by alkaline cleaners.  And you can easily tell when you've rinsed it sufficiently,  just sniff.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:06 am »
If you're really looking to save $$$ and use supermarket products,  plain distilled vinegar in a little hot water will take care of the residue left by alkaline cleaners.  And you can easily tell when you've rinsed it sufficiently,  just sniff.

Gaaah, I never thought of that before. Star-san is dang expensive if you don't buy in bulk, and I get nervous trying to mix it in small batches to get the concentration right just to do a rinse. White distilled vinegar would be perfect for neutralizing the Oxiclean film, is premixed, and less likely to burn my hands compared to eyeballed small batch Star-san solution.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:19 pm »
I typically use a mix of oxy and dishwasher detergent.  So far, I haven't encountered anything that won't come clean.

As far as rinsing with Star San, I do that anyway before using my equipment so it's not an issue for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton