Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lil critters in my starter  (Read 3403 times)

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
lil critters in my starter
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:59:55 pm »
I just pulled out 3 lil nuseeums/gnats that got into my starter. It's on a stir plate almost done. First time this happened to me. I'm hoping it doesn't cause an infection. I had tin foil loosely topping the flask. Thoughts? I'll probly start putting mesh rubber banded over the flask in the future but wondering if i should worry about them lil buggers causing infection on this starter.
Thx!
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: lil critters in my starter
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:06:13 am »
If it were me I would dump and start over. It's no doubt inoculated with acetobacter and who knows what

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:14:22 am »
Ya that makes sense, thanks man!
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 01:05:33 am »
You bet

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 06:22:31 am »
I have had gnat issues in my brewery before and they are a serious pain.  Apparently, they are attracted to the aroma of fermentation.  (I suppose you can’t blame them for that). I discovered them in my airlock and fortunately, they were not able to pass into my brew.

To get rid of gnats, you need to cut very small pieces of apple (1/2” X 1/2”) and place a piece into a jar or cup. Then add some cider vinegar until it’s half way up the piece of apple.  Then cover the jar with foil and a tight rubber band.  Then poke some very small holes in the aluminum foil.  This is a trap.  They are attracted to the sent, but can’t get out. Once they hit the vinegar, it’s over.

Now I ferment in a temperature controlled fermentation chamber and my problem is solved.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
lil critters in my starter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 06:28:27 am »
I’ve had a red wasp land in my boil when I brewed outside. It turned out great. I’ve also had gnats land in a hydrometer sample.

Of, course that’s quite different that a yeast starter. I’d dump it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:30:30 am by BrewBama »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:25:31 am »
This is the type of situation in which I would dump my starter and do a shaken not stirred starter.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:23 pm »
Dump it and start again. I use foam stoppers.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:51 pm »
I have had gnat issues in my brewery before and they are a serious pain.  Apparently, they are attracted to the aroma of fermentation.  (I suppose you can’t blame them for that). I discovered them in my airlock and fortunately, they were not able to pass into my brew.

To get rid of gnats, you need to cut very small pieces of apple (1/2” X 1/2”) and place a piece into a jar or cup. Then add some cider vinegar until it’s half way up the piece of apple.  Then cover the jar with foil and a tight rubber band.  Then poke some very small holes in the aluminum foil.  This is a trap.  They are attracted to the sent, but can’t get out. Once they hit the vinegar, it’s over.

Now I ferment in a temperature controlled fermentation chamber and my problem is solved.

Does this trap have to be near a suspected attractant, or is it the big draw in the house?  Li'l beasties just showed up in my house.  Not a brewery problem at the moment (though one just landed in my pint) but I'd like to try this idea.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 07:59:02 am »
They aren't gnats, they are fruit flies.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:19:27 am »
True, they are attracted to fermentation because that's the smell of (over-) ripe fruit.  They probably come in with fresh produce this time of year.  Call them what you like, I want to get rid of them.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 03:44:04 pm »
True, they are attracted to fermentation because that's the smell of (over-) ripe fruit.  They probably come in with fresh produce this time of year.  Call them what you like, I want to get rid of them.

I've had really good luck with this stuff, especially when I suspend the end of it over a cup containing a small amount of beer or wine:

https://www.amazon.com/PIC-FR10B-Sticky-Ribbons-10-Pack/dp/B005V6ASZU/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1533073060&sr=1-6&keywords=fly+paper

We had a major problem with them last week which I managed to solve (at least temporarily) by using the ribbons for a few days.

It sucks, we can't really keep any non-refrigerated fruit in the house during the summer.  Washing fruit off in the sink right when you get home from the store can help some, but we've been overrun.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 06:12:02 am »

Does this trap have to be near a suspected attractant, or is it the big draw in the house?  Li'l beasties just showed up in my house.  Not a brewery problem at the moment (though one just landed in my pint) but I'd like to try this idea.

Greetings Robert - they can be placed anywhere you have a gnat issue.  Our gnat issue started in my brewery and with a couple days we had those little suckers all over the house.  We had roughly 6 traps set out.  They work.  Good luck!  Hope this helps!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 07:35:08 am »
Similar trap.  Apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of Dawn.  Put them near any fruits/vegetables stored on the countertop. 
I put one in the basement brewery but never had any hits, that's a good thing!

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »
Didn't have an apple, but I always have cider vinegar and Dawn -- and I see I've got my first catch.  Thanks, guys.  Taking a brief brewing break, maybe they won't be swarming near the wort next brew day.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio