Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What kettle is best for a new brewer  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What kettle is best for a new brewer
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »
I do 5 gallon batches using BIAB, so I need a 10 gallon kettle to hold 8 gallons of water plus grain. I got this one:
https://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-2-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6827.html on sale at Christmas a couple of years ago. Not the highest quality, but perfectly adequate for me and I am happy with it. I added a Blichman electric coil to it myself, which was easier than I thought it would be. Now I can brew inside, right next to the sink, in any weather.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:31 pm »
I'd strongly recommend getting a 12 to 15 gallon kettle if you plan to BIAB. I bought a 10 gallon and immediately realized I underestimated the size. I max it out for anything bigger than a session brew. I ended up getting a 20 gallon and have plenty of room to brew 7+ gallon batches of  just about any recipe and could do a 5+ gallon batch of a big a$$ beer!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:59 pm »
I'd strongly recommend getting a 12 to 15 gallon kettle if you plan to BIAB. I bought a 10 gallon and immediately realized I underestimated the size. I max it out for anything bigger than a session brew. I ended up getting a 20 gallon and have plenty of room to brew 7+ gallon batches of  just about any recipe and could do a 5+ gallon batch of a big a$$ beer!

Yup. For 5-7 gallon batches!

I have 2 15s. If I used a bag I'd only need 1. Great size for no sparge 6 gallon batches from session to 1.070 ish. And if you double mash, you can go skys the limit. 1.110 is my biggest yet.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 01:21:01 pm »
Yes, a 10-gallon kettle is a bit limiting for 5 gallon BIAB batches, but not too bad. I can handle 13 lbs of grain and can get OGs in the range 1.050 - 1.060, so not exactly session beers. For stronger beers I either add some extract after the mash or I mash with less than the full volume of water and top up the kettle after pulling the grains.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
How fast would 5 gallons go and how many drinking i got a few friends but not all of I feel like 5 would be a lot

5 Gallons is approx 53 bottles of brew. In the real world you'll get more like 48 or 50. So if you and your buddies drink 10 bottles per night it will last 5 days.

That's why I upgraded to keggles. I like my beer better than almost anything I can buy, and I didn't want to have to brew every weekend. So I brew a 10 gal batch every other week, and have a small surplus to carry over when the next brew comes on-line.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 07:54:01 am »
Some random thoughts:

- Look for a restaurant supply shop near you. They'll have all sorts of sauce/soup pots, many in stainless, in lots of sizes. And usually at very good prices. They won't have valves, etc., but that's what power tools are for.

- Don't get any glass carboys. Ever. They are seriously dangerous; heavy, slippery when wet, likely to cause stitch-worthy wounds when they do break. Notice I said "when"; many people like carboys, but that's usually because they haven't had their accident yet. My alternative is the plastic "Ale Pail"; been using the same two for years with zero issues.

- I control fermentation temperature by putting my ale pail in a plastic tub of cold water, cover with a wet towel and add frozen water bottles as needed. it's not quite as precise as a fermentation chamber, but there's enough thermal mass to maintain temps within a few degrees. I brew only ales, so I rarely ferment below about 60F, though; if you intend to do lagers, you might need something that maintains colder temps.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 08:01:47 am »
Some random thoughts:

- Look for a restaurant supply shop near you. They'll have all sorts of sauce/soup pots, many in stainless, in lots of sizes. And usually at very good prices. They won't have valves, etc., but that's what power tools are for.

- Don't get any glass carboys. Ever. They are seriously dangerous; heavy, slippery when wet, likely to cause stitch-worthy wounds when they do break. Notice I said "when"; many people like carboys, but that's usually because they haven't had their accident yet. My alternative is the plastic "Ale Pail"; been using the same two for years with zero issues.

- I control fermentation temperature by putting my ale pail in a plastic tub of cold water, cover with a wet towel and add frozen water bottles as needed. it's not quite as precise as a fermentation chamber, but there's enough thermal mass to maintain temps within a few degrees. I brew only ales, so I rarely ferment below about 60F, though; if you intend to do lagers, you might need something that maintains colder temps.
Except sours...

I love my Speidels for anything clean but gotta have the glass (or stainless, but that's not cheap) for long term aging to prevent too much O2 ingress/ oxidation and to have a surface that can be sanitized.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:13 am »
Some random thoughts:

Except sours...

I love my Speidels for anything clean but gotta have the glass (or stainless, but that's not cheap) for long term aging to prevent too much O2 ingress/ oxidation and to have a surface that can be sanitized.

I hear ya, and understand where you're coming from. I don't doubt that you've assessed the potential for harm against the effectiveness, convenience and cost. But I still recommend against glass for anyone just starting out.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
Some random thoughts:

Except sours...

I hear ya, and understand where you're coming from. I don't doubt that you've assessed the potential for harm against the effectiveness, convenience and cost. But I still recommend against glass for anyone just starting out.
Fair enough. I am VERY careful and the truly horrific stories about shattered carboys and the gruesome injuries they can cause should give anyone pause 🤢🤮

But we digress, back to your regularly scheduled programming! Restaurant supply stores, Craigslist, yard sales are all great options. Also check with brew clubs. Members always have extra stuff to sell as they progress in the hobby and adapt/ change/ upgrade their systems. I recently moved, joined my first club, and another member has given my retired keggle new life!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 01:33:09 pm »
Here’s a prime example of what you could find on craigslist.
https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/for/d/homebrew-supplies-and/6647248165.html
My search was actually for “chest freezer” but they have freezer in the title. Everything you need to brew and keg beer is there though. Here’s a search for “homebrew”
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/home-brew-equipment/6640524979.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:35:29 pm by jkirkham »
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline nshort32991

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
I jumped from the little 5 gallon kit kettle to a Bayou Classic 44 Qt stainless pot with a steamer basket that did brew in a bag with. 5 gallon paint strainer bags fit perfectly in the steamer basket and I could do roughly up to 1.060 OG 5 gallon. I have since ditched the steamer basket and just got a custom made BIAB bag which works even better (have done up to 1.070 without issue). I also got a 62 qt bayou classic to do 10 gallon BIAB batches with, and just use the BIAB bag made for Keggles.

I have been using these for about 5 years or so without any issues, and really like the quality, and you can find them for pretty good deals if you keep your eye out. I have also used a keggle with a false bottom that I found locally, and use it with the others in a 3 vessel set up on occasion, but I would avoid the keggles unless you get a great deal on one already built the way you want, they are just much heavier and harder to clean than they need to be, but that's just me.

I purchased weldless valve kits, thermowells, and sightglasses to install myself, and customized them to fit my needs, but I really enjoy doing that kinda thing. I have seen a couple that come with at least a ball valve on the bottom.

Anyhow, thats my .02. I hope you find something that works best for you and will last you for years to come!

Cheers,
Nathan

Offline noiz2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »
Wow a lot of replies in a short time...

First the guy has nothing and is asking about a kettle so "fermentation control" is crazy past where he is.  I have been brewing since the 1980's and other than using a heat wrap to boost a bit in winter I have NEVER had any "fermentation control".  Refrigeration only came in in the middle of the 20th century so most beer historically has not had fermentation control.  Not saying it's a bad idea but just not pertinent to this topic.

Kettle wise you do not need a "fancy" kettle and I would not recommend one with a sight tube for wort, that will be a bugger to clean.

You need at least an 8 gallon for a five gallon batch but I would argue with others that you are better off with a 18+ gallon kettle.  The reason is you have room to expand and with 5 gallon batches you are pretty much boil over proof.  And it doesn't cost a lot more.

Other than pride (and you should take that in to account) there is very little functional difference between the cheapest kettle you can find and the most expensive.  Thick bottoms are great for stews and such but you are boiling water (essentially) so very limited advantages.  I have a pair of 8 gallon pots I got on sale from my LHBS for ~$30.  I use them alternately for brew pots and fermentors.  I have a 18 gallon pot with a sight tube and a thermometer that I use for a HLT.  I got it for ?!$40- $50 bucks on sale, and it replaced an aluminum pot I got used for $25.  I replaced it because it was too small (7 gal), the aluminum scare has been pretty solidly debunked.  And I have a 6-7 gal pot I got at a Chinese grocery a long time ago.  It's taller so less of a boil over risk.  All but the last I bought with a 1/2" coupling welded on.  The first pot I drilled a hone and added a bulkhead coupling and a valve, but I had brewed extract with it for years just as it came from the store.

BUT what I would do first is join whatever homebrew club meats closest to you and then ask about gear.  The chances are really high that someone has a pot they have out grown and would be willing to sell it to you for a lot less that a new one would cost.  That is how I got the aluminum HLT and it's how I will pass it along.

The other thing is I would look at some of these all in one systems.  You were going to drop $200 on a pot but for $300 you can get a "mash and brew" and that will let you get off the stove and do all grain (save a lot of $).

Something like this
https://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-1-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6065.html
would work well for $60 or this
https://www.homebrewing.org/15-Gallon-1-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6066.html
for $90

RoboBrew $350
https://www.homebrewing.org/Robobrew-All-Grain-Brewing-System-925-Gallons_p_7485.html
or Mash and Brew $300
https://www.homebrewing.org/Brewers-Edge-Mash-Boil-All-Grain-Brewing-System_p_7497.html

I just posted links to one of my LHBS so buy local if possible.  I have seen cheaper prices for some of these items but it was easy to use my LHBS links.  I don't work for them and the links don't put anything in my pocket, they are just for reference.

Hope that was enough disclaimers...
Your local Home Brew Club is the best place to start.

Offline noiz2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 07:15:34 pm »
I would agree with this.  I have used "glass" but it turned out it wasn't (it was a 7 gallon pyrex carboy!), a very different beast.  But even with out the emergency room issues it is a PITA because they are just a PITA.  Ale Pails are good.  I use them with cling wrap over the top and a giant O ring to seal (I use the O ring that is in 5Gal bucket lids).  I also bought some 8 gal. stainless pots on sale and use the same seal (it's a bit more work to stretch the O ring over the pot but it works).

Offline noiz2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 07:35:29 pm »
Oh I will plug something.
Basic Brewing.com (it's a pod cast) is worth listening to.  I would start with the early days and go forward if you can.  They have been at it for like ten years and it is a fantastic resource for new brewers.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/

They are pretty experienced now so some of the shows are not as "basic" as they used to be but it's fun and informative.  They also do some short video casts but the meat of the show is the audio podcasts.

There are other good shows but I think they are the best for new brewers.  I'm pretty experienced and I still listen every week.

Offline epierce7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
You mentioned the Vigor from WebRestaurant.com early on.  I got the 60qt five years ago and I gotta say I love it.  it's been my BIAB workhorse.  Great quality.  I like the thicker base.  Less of a scorching hazard.  It's wider than the usual brew pot which benefits in less boil over but has a higher boil off rate (I get 1.25g/hr on slow rolling boil). I got a high quality step drill bit and installed my own ball lock valve. I have a cheaper pot I usually use for heating mash water and drilling the thinner pot was harder than the thicker one because at the end you can get some buckling in the thinner stainless steel.  If you go that route make sure you get a good quality bit that is rated for stainless steel.  But, you don't have to.  Unless you are planning on recirculating/whirlpooling or using a pump for transfers, spend the money on a good chiller and use an auto siphon to get your wort into the fermenter.

BTW, that 15 gallon pot from homebrewing.org that was mentioned looks like a really good deal.  As for Craigslist, I've got half of my brewing stuff that way.

Cheers!