Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What kettle is best for a new brewer  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Koregoth

• 1st Kit
What kettle is best for a new brewer
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »
I am having a hard time picking a kettle I have no gear and a few gift cards to northern brew so I am thinking of getting a nice kettle from them or a starter kit from them and pot from lows. Is starting off with a cheap kettle that I can repurpose for all grains better or a nice kettle worth the 200 I would put down for it this is the one that looks like the best bang for my buck
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/edelmetall-bru-kettle

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What kettle is best for a new brewer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
I'd spend my money on a way to control fermentation temp before a nifty kettle.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:17 pm »
I bought a 8gal kettle on amazon for $120  I still use it.  It has a bazooka filter on it which was good to help strain hop matter for me in the beginning. And you can always biab so you don’t need a false bottom. Deside on how big of batches you want to make. An 8 gallon pot is good for 5 gal because you will boil off about 1.5 gal during your boil.

I would spend my gift card on something else. Like temp control ^^ or wort chiller, carboys, a mash tun (which you can build), etc.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:07:54 pm »
I agree with Jim. Also, if you are going to spend a lot of money on a kettle, make sure you won't be itching to replace it within a year. I started with a small stovetop kettle for partial mash and extract brews and quickly wanted to upgrade. It was less than $50, but it is now sitting unused. I eventually purchased a 10 gallon kettle on sale for $49 and added an electric element myself. I saved hundreds of dollars and have been using that happily for a couple of years. Think carefully before dropping a lot of bucks on equipment and make sure that what you buy today will work for you next year.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:36:13 pm »
I agree with Jim. Also, if you are going to spend a lot of money on a kettle, make sure you won't be itching to replace it within a year. I started with a small stovetop kettle for partial mash and extract brews and quickly wanted to upgrade. It was less than $50, but it is now sitting unused. I eventually purchased a 10 gallon kettle on sale for $49 and added an electric element myself. I saved hundreds of dollars and have been using that happily for a couple of years. Think carefully before dropping a lot of bucks on equipment and make sure that what you buy today will work for you next year.

Control that fermentation. Second vote for Jim.

When you do buy a kettle, make sure it has the size and all the options you want now and down the road.

Buy once, cry once!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Koregoth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:17 pm »
I am not trying to justify getting a fancy kettle just wanted advice from people who got the equipment. As far as cooling the beer I have a few ideas i am going to look into. So getting a starter kit is the best way to go. Does a ball valve make a big difference in the kettle or can you wait and just siphon

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:19:14 pm »
I am not trying to justify getting a fancy kettle just wanted advice from people who got the equipment. As far as cooling the beer I have a few ideas i am going to look into. So getting a starter kit is the best way to go. Does a ball valve make a big difference in the kettle or can you wait and just siphon
The ball valve would make it easier to transfer wort. Just get some silicone tubing to put on the end of the ball valve. I would not go with that eldemetall kettle, something much cheaper would do just fine.
I found a keg a while ago, added a ball valve, added a thermometer, cost me about $50 and can hold 15.5gal.

Offline Koregoth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:20 pm »
Is that whay you brew in ?

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:50 pm »
Is that whay you brew in ?

No I brew in the 8 gallon pot I got on amazon, it also has a ball valve. I’ve had that pot for about 4 years. But my brewing has evolved (buy once, cry once). I used to brew extract and the 8 gal pot worked for me, now I brew all grain and use that keg for my hot liquor tank and the 8 gal pot for the boil. Before I made the shift to all grain I would use the 8 gallon pot to fill my mash tun, and add water back into the kettle (8gal) after mashing, now I don’t have to.  I use gravity and plenty of hot water to sparge and collect enough mash to boil for 5gal.

I would say the kettle is the least of your worries when it come to brewing, focus your time and energy on equipment you will really need and value.

Heck, 12 years ago I bought a pot a Walmart and just siphoned my material. I got the biggest pot I could find. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 04:43:12 am »
If you look on various online buy/sell lists such as Craigslist, you can find brewing equipment for cheap.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:29:44 am »
Vote #3 for control that fermentation first.

If you are going to buy a kettle though, I would try to steer away from any aluminum ones.  I am a bit leery of the acidity of the wort attacking the aluminum and pitting it.  Try to go with stainless steel.  Look on Craig's List, Ebay, and the equipment section of this forum and you also might find something that is relatively inexpensive.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What kettle is best for a new brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
If you look on various online buy/sell lists such as Craigslist, you can find brewing equipment for cheap.

...  Look on Craig's List, Ebay, and the equipment section of this forum and you also might find something that is relatively inexpensive.

+1 for EBay, C-list, and the various Homebrew forums. Most have a classified section where you can get gently used equipment for very reasonable prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:09:39 am by BrewBama »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 01:44:36 pm »
Also, if  you are going to use a ball valve I would strongly recommend a valve that can be fully disassembled for cleaning. Every time I take mine apart for cleaning I am surprised at how much stuff has managed to survive all the flushing and rinsing and stay in the hidden regions off to the side of the ball, around the handle, etc.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 07:29:39 pm »
Go for it - you can brew ales and use a laundry tub with coll water and ice bottle swapping for temp control, if you have a basement.  At least for now...Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"