Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closed transfer  (Read 14500 times)

Big Monk

Re: Closed transfer
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 06:38:43 am »
Iodophor: Embrace the stain

"Don't Fear the Foam" has a much nicer (and much cleaner sounding) ring to it...

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 07:35:44 am »
Check NorCal- they have a bunch of nifty innovations and I seem to recall one was a thermowell from the top with an airlock arrangement.
Thanks!   Combined dip tube and thermowell, ball lock gas in; looks like I could really configure a nice system.  Just have to figure out the right probe to go in the thermowell (ideas welcome) and an airlock alternative to attach to the gas in (ideas welcome again:  spund valve set to almost nothing might work, except what to do when cold crashing and creating negative pressure...)

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Dip-Tube-Thermowell-Half-Inch-NPT-Male.html
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Ball-Lock-Gas-In-with-Pressure-Relief-Valve.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:40:21 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 08:54:54 am »
Call them. They are super helpful.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 08:57:07 am »
Iodophor: Embrace the stain

"Don't Fear the Foam" has a much nicer (and much cleaner sounding) ring to it...
Except the full saying is "Bugs... don't fear the foam." Lol

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:56 am »
This is what I would use for pressure in

it'd be nice if blichmann made a corny keg lid with a post on it like that...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:52 am »
Nor cal can build you one. Call them

Offline blatz

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 09:27:25 am »
Nor cal can build you one. Call them

thanks will do!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Robert

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:01 am »

Carbonation Keg Lid,Ferroday Stainless Steel Carbonation lid With 0.5 Micron Diffusion Air Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M335AXA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 09:34:35 am »

Carbonation Keg Lid,Ferroday Stainless Steel Carbonation lid With 0.5 Micron Diffusion Air Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M335AXA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

thanks! yeah I thought about that but the blichmann fermenters have a pressure release weighted piston in there to prevent a pressure disaster;  I want to keep that but add the corny post.

what I do now works, I have a barbed valve at the end of tubing which serves as both blowoff and then a connection to my CO2 tank when transferring.

the more I consider it, the more I think I'm looking for a solution to a problem I don't really have. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:25 am »
That's what the other thing in the picture is, adjustable pressure release.

Offline Robert

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 12:12:27 pm »
Call them. They are super helpful.

Indeed they are helpful! Thanks for the encouragement.  Questions answered, I am getting a Speidel 30, gas in and pressure relief, and the combined dip tube and thermowell to replace the spigot.  Already have a spare ball valve to use, and with a QD I can connect the gas in to my double-jar airlock thingy.  Just need to pick up a thermometer and some kind of gasket to fit the thermowell.  Hope to have it ready for next brewday; now my process will be completely closed after pitching and oxygenating!  But, like all beer, my beer will still be oxidized.  I know. ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »
Cool people. I got a false bottom for my mash tun today, just in time to mash in. Made specifically for my kettle. Fits perfect, works perfect. They even polished the word "Cheers" on the top of it. Can't say anything bad about these guys.

Offline Robert

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »
Here's my new setup, ready for this weekend's brew!  Will be completely closed after pitching right through serving.  For closed transfer it's gas in the top and jumper from the bottling spigot, which I attached to Nor Cal's threaded port with a 304 stainless reducer.  Kitchen thermometer probe is secured in the thermowell with a rubber grommet.  Nor Cal were super helpful!

Pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gzzQ9vDVWFMUIDdm8Mz1wd2HTlvNrmRI/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gcWnuUirU1MR43qwfSqry2ffh0rFrpba/view?usp=drivesdk

EDIT stillage was needed because of extension of the port and spigot, this would be the case with anything using their accessories on the 30 liter.

I have the port at 45° So the dip tube is positioned to leave ~2 qts behind for yeast harvesting.

EDIT 1st pic updated to show final "airlock" configuration.  Skipped the twin jar job.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:27:05 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2018, 05:07:25 am »
I wish these fermenter were around when I bought all of my red screw top fermenters. That flat area and the the threaded mount is key. I like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 04:22:46 pm »
Jim, you use Iodophor to sanitize?  I am considering a switch from Star San because I read it doesn’t kill everything. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The one negative of Iodophor is it doesn’t last nearly as long as Starsan. Iodophor seems to last about 24-48 hours. Starsan can stay in a bucket for weeks or months.

I use both. But Starsan has never let me down and I am not sure I will replace my Iodophor when it runs out.