Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 13686 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 04:52:38 pm »
Geez for all that money, you could pay me to come brew for you, and HSA the F out of it.
I actually wondered if you could seal one of these up in a CO2 purged keezer before running it.
Chest freezer seal oxygen ingress study?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
I don’t get the way they scaled it either. The only advantage i see is using less bins if the mash isn’t too large.

Keep in mind that a lot of the focus of this product is restaurants and other commercial operations like that.
You keep saying that, but your not explaining the logic. What makes this design better for restaurants than another design? What are it’s primary benefits?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:20 pm »
I don’t get the way they scaled it either. The only advantage i see is using less bins if the mash isn’t too large.

Keep in mind that a lot of the focus of this product is restaurants and other commercial operations like that.
You keep saying that, but your not explaining the logic. What makes this design better for restaurants than another design? What are it’s primary benefits?
I think the idea is, the Z is fully automated. Other brew systems can scale easily with bigger pots, but, those aren’t fully automated. Those other systems still need someone to mash, sparge, start the boil, add hops, etc. The Picobrew Z cuts a lot of that out. Crush grain, load the Z with ingredients, press a button and come back in 4 hours to cool, pitch yeast, and ferment. A few more buttons to cleanup. Presumably this is easier for a restaurant that wants craft beer without having to develop recipes and find a brewer. They can buy PicoPaks and assuming they manage the fermentation and kegging process correctly (which is not that hard) they get craft beer made on premises.

The stack ability keeps the cost down. Picobrew mass produces the same 2.5G unit and sells it in 4 batch size increments. It looks awkward to use because we all have one mash, but, it should work.

I think the main annoyance for a 10G brewer would be dividing all the ingredients in 4 parts.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:56 pm »
I’m not debating the desire for set it and forget it. I just don’t get the “parallel” brewing. Cheaper development costs could be it. The FAQ on the site is a little lacking.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:41 am »
That's crazy to have to ill all those grain and hop bins. I was hoping they were going to come up with something completely different. I like my little Zymatic it's not hard to do a back to back batch to get a 5 gallon batch of beer. And you can do some neat things with it. Heck for lab work it is great at holding steady temps for stuff like forced diacetyl tests or sous vide!

But having to individually fill and clean each grain and hop bin would drive me crazy. The worst part of the Zymatic is the cleaning part. I'd hate to have to do multiple bins.

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:51 pm »
I think the main annoyance for a 10G brewer would be dividing all the ingredients in 4 parts.

Right there, unless it has the ability to run multiple (different) recipes at the same time, that would be a nice feature.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:14 pm »

Right there, unless it has the ability to run multiple (different) recipes at the same time, that would be a nice feature.
It can do multiple recipes at once.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 06:33:47 pm »

I didn’t see that in the marketing material. Honestly there shouldn’t be a reason it couldn’t considering it is just a bunch of units stacked.

Offline tommymorris

Picobrew Z
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 10:03:11 pm »
This post (post #34 in the thread) on HBT has an email from PicoBrew support. The email says that each module can run different brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/picobrew-z.645332/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 06:37:53 am »
This post (post #34 in the thread) on HBT has an email from PicoBrew support. The email says that each module can run different brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/picobrew-z.645332/

That's kinda neat but I still don't get why they didn't just make a larger unit with one grain bin, figure out a way to add the hops to the actual wort rather that recircing them in a loop and add chilling compacity. 5 gallon automated batches would have been great.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:41 am »
It still doesn’t chill?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:54 am »
I don’t think it chills.  This blurb is from their FAQ under “What’s the whole process from grain to glass?”

“At the end of the brew cycle, chill the beer or disconnect the keg to cool, and then, pitch (add) yeast, attach an airlock, and place it somewhere cool to ferment. “

https://www.picobrew.com/About/FAQ_Z.cshtml

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Another question, did the AHA endorse the Z or write an article about it? There is a banner on top of PicoBrew’s Z page with a bunch of blog and magazine names. In that list is “American Homebrewer’s Association”. I haven’t seen an article on the AHA site so I am curious why the AHA is mentioned in that group.

PS. I have no beef if AHA did write an article or get paid to endorse. I am just curious and would like to read the article if there is one.

https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products/z.cshtml

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:14 am »

I didn’t see that in the marketing material. Honestly there shouldn’t be a reason it couldn’t considering it is just a bunch of units stacked.

It definitely does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:52 am »
It still doesn’t chill?

It does chill.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell