Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Mash  (Read 19205 times)

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: Double Mash
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:00 am »
This post is super exciting and has my mind whirling with ideas.   

My idea is to do a brew with a friend or use their mash tun.  The goal is to mash 15 lbs of Maris with a ratio of 1.5 qt/lb and achieve a mash temp of 158F.  Allow to rest for 60 minutes and then lauter into another tun with 9 lbs of maris and achieve 148F. allow to rest 60 - 90 minutes and then proceed as normal with a sparge from the second mash. 

So I just plugged some numbers into my calculator and if I use 15 lb of maris otter at 1.5 qt/lb (22.5 quarts total or 5.625 gallons) with grain temp at 66F and strike water temp at 169.3F I should hit 158 F for mash temp.  Lauter directly from first mash tun to a second pre-heated tun with 9 lb grain again and, assuming a pint per lb is absorbed by the grain I will be adding 3.75 gallons of 158F wort to the next batch which should achieve a mash temp of 148 in the second batch and the ratio of 1.5 qt/lb should stay the same. 

If I do decide to go forward with this I will post updates here.
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »
What final ferment size?

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2018, 10:35:08 am »
What final ferment size?

5 Gallon final.  probably shoot for 6 in the kettle pre boil

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2018, 01:11:15 pm »
Why not just put total needed water in 1st mash, and split your grain bill 50/50?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:15 pm »
Why not just put total needed water in 1st mash, and split your grain bill 50/50?

And do a no-sparge while you're at it (if you have space for it in your mash tun). That will maximize your OG for a really big beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:02 pm »

And do a no-sparge while you're at it (if you have space for it in your mash tun). That will maximize your OG for a really big beer.
My next shot at this I'll be trying your suggestion of 158-160 on the first mash, 145-148 on the second.

I think the magic of this method is
1. Big fermentable wort with no sugar added
2. Half the needed mash tun size
3. Shortened boil by high gravity preboil

Some might think it's a waste to not sparge the extra sugars out, but there's nothing stopping them from sparging that to a second boil kettle if they wish.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:34 pm »
I am looking forward to a try at a double mash and then partigyle sparge to make a second smaller beer....I’ll make sure I have some DME on hand, if the second runnings are lower than expected.  Maybe an English Barleywine, followed by a Mild.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 01:08:52 pm »

I want to keep my water to grain ratio at 1.5 qt/lb.  If i go half and half I will have to increase it in the first mash to get it close in the second. 

This will be a no sparge method for the first mash tun but it looks like I will have to sparge somewhere to get the final volume I need. so probably in the second mash. 

Still working this idea out.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2018, 01:29:13 pm »

I want to keep my water to grain ratio at 1.5 qt/lb.  If i go half and half I will have to increase it in the first mash to get it close in the second. 

This will be a no sparge method for the first mash tun but it looks like I will have to sparge somewhere to get the final volume I need. so probably in the second mash. 

Still working this idea out.
Ok. Mine was 3qts per lb

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2018, 10:55:29 pm »
Second try at double mashing. I brewed a Barleywine/Triple IPA on the 5th and another Imperial Stout the second day. Could have done them both in one day but decided to spread out the fun.

In short, my first try at double mash was not a fluke. Everything went as planned again. The only thing I did different this time is Erockrph's suggestion of 160 1st mash 148 2nd mash. We'll see if the results bear that out. If it turns out the same, well it shaved 45 min off the 1st mash. The other tweak I made was starting my fermentation cooler. Last time I fermented at 65 for 4 days then 68. This time I'm trusting Denny that 1450 goes low. I started at 60f. They were bubbling away nicely. Today I bumped it to 64f and in another 4 days I'll top out at 68f.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:37 am »
Second try at double mashing. I brewed a Barleywine/Triple IPA on the 5th and another Imperial Stout the second day. Could have done them both in one day but decided to spread out the fun.

In short, my first try at double mash was not a fluke. Everything went as planned again. The only thing I did different this time is Erockrph's suggestion of 160 1st mash 148 2nd mash. We'll see if the results bear that out. If it turns out the same, well it shaved 45 min off the 1st mash. The other tweak I made was starting my fermentation cooler. Last time I fermented at 65 for 4 days then 68. This time I'm trusting Denny that 1450 goes low. I started at 60f. They were bubbling away nicely. Today I bumped it to 64f and in another 4 days I'll top out at 68f.

It's probably a few weeks out, but my next batch will be a big double-mash brew inspired by the recent activity in this thread. I'm going to brew a monster saison, using 100% of my house base malt blend (75% Weyermann Bo Pils/25% Dingeman's Pale Ale) and Belle Saison. I'm curious to see just how low of an FG I can get with Belle on a massive beer.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »

It's probably a few weeks out, but my next batch will be a big double-mash brew inspired by the recent activity in this thread. I'm going to brew a monster saison, using 100% of my house base malt blend (75% Weyermann Bo Pils/25% Dingeman's Pale Ale) and Belle Saison. I'm curious to see just how low of an FG I can get with Belle on a massive beer.
I'm liking the 160F first mash, 148F second mash!

I brewed a 25.7°P IIIPA 7 days ago, it's now at 6.7°P corrected!  So 1.102 to 1.027 in 7 days, and still covered in thick krausen.

6 days ago I brewed a 23.8°P Imperial Stout. It's now at 6.4°P corrected! So 1.095 to 1.025 in six days and still covered in thick krausen.

They were pitched at 60F, my normal 1200ml oxygenated starter (wy1450) made morning of brew day. On the 8th I bumped it to 64F. Yesterday I bumped it to 68F. Both samples smell lovely,  no fusels!

Thanks Erockrph!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:17:22 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »
Did you dose the O2 more than just at pitching time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2018, 07:56:13 pm »
Did you dose the O2 more than just at pitching time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-pitch, about 4 hrs later, and about 8hrs after that. Basically before bed time, and the next morning.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:32 am »

I'm liking the 160F first mash, 148F second mash!

I brewed a 25.7°P IIIPA 7 days ago, it's now at 6.7°P corrected!  So 1.102 to 1.027 in 7 days, and still covered in thick krausen.

6 days ago I brewed a 23.8°P Imperial Stout. It's now at 6.4°P corrected! So 1.095 to 1.025 in six days and still covered in thick krausen.

They were pitched at 60F, my normal 1200ml oxygenated starter (wy1450) made morning of brew day. On the 8th I bumped it to 64F. Yesterday I bumped it to 68F. Both samples smell lovely,  no fusels!

Thanks Erockrph!

Glad the technique is working out for you, Jim!

BTW, my usual pitching practice for big beers has been to brew a 1.040ish beer, then use some of that slurry in a 1.060ish beer (to start to build up some alcohol tolerance in the yeast), then pitch the entire slurry into the big beer. I don't have time for the stepped starter method this time around, so I'll be giving the vitality starter method a try. I've never made a starter with dry yeast, though. I might pitch the night before, then hit it with O2 in the AM to get through the longer lag time with dry yeast.
Eric B.