Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill  (Read 6682 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Year, whatcha getting, and other brewing chatter time kill
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 02:38:58 pm »
Cool!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 07:20:40 am »
I dig the cryo hops but they are a little harder to use.

I assume you mean the powder?  Have you tried the pellets?  Do you still find them difficult?

Yes, the powder. I worry about it mixing properly. I heard they were coming out with pellets but didn't know that was available yet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 11:06:17 am »
I dig the cryo hops but they are a little harder to use.

I assume you mean the powder?  Have you tried the pellets?  Do you still find them difficult?

Yes, the powder. I worry about it mixing properly. I heard they were coming out with pellets but didn't know that was available yet.

Yeah, they've been available for a while.  I use a combo of the pellets and powder and have no issues.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 12:26:44 pm »
I'm adding a new lazy brewer procedure today. I used to let my wort settle about 15 minutes after recirulation chilling, then rack it to fermenter with an auto siphon. I've heard enough evidence to convince me to just pump it straight to fermenter as soon as I hit pitching temp. I'm looking forward to not staring at my timer trying to Zen 15 minutes away. I'm looking forward to not sanitizing my auto siphon. I'm looking forward to not cleaning my auto siphon. And I'm looking forward to even more amazing beer from just leaving the trub in there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
I'm adding a new lazy brewer procedure today. I used to let my wort settle about 15 minutes after recirulation chilling, then rack it to fermenter with an auto siphon. I've heard enough evidence to convince me to just pump it straight to fermenter as soon as I hit pitching temp. I'm looking forward to not staring at my timer trying to Zen 15 minutes away. I'm looking forward to not sanitizing my auto siphon. I'm looking forward to not cleaning my auto siphon. And I'm looking forward to even more amazing beer from just leaving the trub in there.

Good on ya!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 12:41:50 pm »
Actually I'm adding 2 new lazy brewer procedures. The other one is mash recirculation. I used to make an aluminum foil cap with slits in it, and place that on top of my mash. Then recirculation hose flows onto that. I was thinking channeling when I first started doing it, which is not an issue because I'm not fly soaring. But I just kept making them out of habit. Reading Martin's comment on another thread, that just running the hose into the top is fine and will reduce mash O2dation, I've decided to just do it.

Looking forward to not making the foil disk, and not fishing it out after runoff. And looking forward to even more amazing results from this low effort LODO technique.

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
Actually I'm adding 2 new lazy brewer procedures. The other one is mash recirculation. I used to make an aluminum foil cap with slits in it, and place that on top of my mash. Then recirculation hose flows onto that. I was thinking channeling when I first started doing it, which is not an issue because I'm not fly soaring. But I just kept making them out of habit. Reading Martin's comment on another thread, that just running the hose into the top is fine and will reduce mash O2dation, I've decided to just do it.

Looking forward to not making the foil disk, and not fishing it out after runoff. And looking forward to even more amazing results from this low effort LODO technique.

Sorry to break it to you but that won’t do anything for ya!

A stepping stone maybe?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »

With everything being so much easier, I bet you will feel like you're fly soaring.  Gotta love autocorrupt!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 12:48:01 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?

Of course it will.  It may not do what you would have him do, but it will make his brew day easier and more fun.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?

Of course it will.  It may not do what you would have him do, but it will make his brew day easier and more fun.

Agreed. I meant that it won’t do anything oxygen related. Will certainly simplify things though.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 12:51:23 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?
It's vorlauf. I think it will get my running somewhat more clear of grain bits than just dumping the whole thing into the boil. So there's that.

I'm an HSA denier, so actually the O2dation part is just to fit in. I realize it won't prevent HSA but I don't believe it exists anyway.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »
And the people most emphatic about keeping grain bits out of the boil are the ones who just did a decoction mash....is anything real?!🤔
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?
It's vorlauf. I think it will get my running somewhat more clear of grain bits than just dumping the whole thing into the boil. So there's that.

I'm an HSA denier, so actually the O2dation part is just to fit in. I realize it won't prevent HSA but I don't believe it exists anyway.

For the record Jim: I wasn’t trying to antagonize you. I recognized the humor I’m sure you intended and was only about 10% serious.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 01:02:45 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?

For the record Jim: I wasn’t trying to antagonize you. I recognized the humor I’m sure you intended and was only about 10% serious.
We're totally good! No problems

Big Monk

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 01:04:25 pm »

A stepping stone maybe?

We're totally good! No problems

Of course if you are ever interested in new methods, we got your back!