Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ph meter  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
Ph meter
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:05 pm »
Which ph meter do you guys like? I have been looking around, most are a lot of maintenance but I guess that's typical.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Ph meter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:14 am »
Depending on your budget and how serious you want to be about brewing. Like anything else you get what you pay for.
I personally like the Hanna products. IMO model HI98108 is a good one to start with for $50.
If you take care of the meter clean and calibrate, it will last a long while. As soon as I started using a pH meter and figured out how to adjust my water, my beers got 10x better.
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:09:53 am by curtdogg »
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:05 am »
Like everything else with brewing it's all a matter of needs, wants, budget and preference. You can get a decent $30 meter or a $300 dollar bench top model...

I have been using a Hanna Checker for years. I'm on my 3rd one. You can find them on Amazon for around $30. They have replaceable probes for around $20.

As far as maintenance, keep them clean stored in a storage solution and calibrate the meter before use with 4 and 7 pH calibration fluid. Pretty easy and come in handy to have.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:43 am »
I got el cheapo on Amazon for less than $20.  Works great.  Looks similar to this but a different color.

https://www.amazon.com/VANTAKOOL-Accuracy-Measurement-Household-Drinking/dp/B01N20ZRC5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505303277&sr=8-5&keywords=ph+meter

If it fails in a year or two, I'll buy a new one for just $14.  No sense in getting anything more fancy than that -- it would never ever pay for itself compared to these cheap things that work just friggin fine for far less cost.  Calibrate upon every use and you're fine.  Don't skip the calibration.  That's the real key.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:47 am »
   As a rule I'm one who always tries to buy the best tools I can afford, but after my experience with the Milwaukee MW102 I bought, I'm tempted to follow Dave's advice. The MW is a total POS, even new out of the box it took anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes to settle on a reading, and can't be relied upon for consistent readings. I may have just gotten a lemon, but based on my experience I can't recommend the Milwaukee meter.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:57:16 am »
   As a rule I'm one who always tries to buy the best tools I can afford, but after my experience with the Milwaukee MW102 I bought, I'm tempted to follow Dave's advice. The MW is a total POS, even new out of the box it took anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes to settle on a reading, and can't be relied upon for consistent readings. I may have just gotten a lemon, but based on my experience I can't recommend the Milwaukee meter.

Sounds like your probe was shot. Everytime this happens to me it has meant a new probe is needed. Get a new probe and calibration happens at a normal pace.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:19 am »
   Once bitten, twice shy. If the brand new probe was shot, it makes me a bit leery about buying more product from the same manufacturer, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:19 am »
I have an MW 101 and an Extech 110.  I much prefer the Extech.

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-PH110-Waterproof-ExStik-Meter/dp/B004WN9QUG
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:01:00 am »
I too have an Extech. There is a new meter that I've seen pushed on Facebook a lot lately.

Apera Instruments PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOIQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4qwUzbATDMMD1

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:28 am »
My Milwaukee MW-101 has been solid for over 5 years. I can recommend it.

An even better unit is the Hanna Halo unit that pairs with your phone app. Hanna gave me one of those units about 6 months ago to evaluate and it has been a champ. The only thing I have a problem with for the Halo is its cost (~$250) and the fact that the entire unit has to be replaced when the probe fully wears out. The probe and the phone app work very well.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:38:50 am »
Thanks for the input guys. Very good advice from all of you.

Offline tominboston

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:38:40 pm »
I have the Apera PH60.  It works great (once you read the instructions to calibrate it correctly).  It was not cheap (about 80 bucks), but it seems to work good.  I also use it to measure my swimming pool ph which further helped me rationalize the purchase..:).  someday I will test it against a cheap one for the eventual day it craps out on me.

Offline rpkincaid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 09:05:16 pm »
I have a Hanna HALO FC2022 that I dual purpose for cheese making and it has been great.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 06:13:36 am »
This thread has peeked my interest again in purchasing a meter. Leaning toward the Apera or the Extech.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 08:04:05 am »
I agree with Mr. dmTaylor on this one.  I got a cheapo 15 dollar meter and it has been plenty sufficient.  Honestly, I just needed to dial in the numbers that I was using to line up with whatever tool I was using, after that you don't really need to check it so much.  I still check it when I'm doing recipes that I don't know but now that the system is dialed in things usually come in right where they should.

There is a thread about cheap meters here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28462.msg372962#msg372962
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:13:58 am by natebrews »
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.