Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wrap or Pad for Chest Freezer?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
Wrap or Pad for Chest Freezer?
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »
I just bought a chest freezer for fermentation and was wondering if it makes a difference whether I use as my heating source a fermenter wrap (I have a Fermwrap) or a heating pad, which seems to be another popular option from what I can tell. In other words, is it better to warm the beer directly or the freezer so as to reach the proper temperature?

My sense is that both are fine--and if so, then I'll just use the wrap. But I'd rather hear from people with experience before I take the next step. Thanks.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Wrap or Pad for Chest Freezer?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »
I've had both. The pad I bought crapped out on me. I really only had it for when I had 2 batches working at same time. When it died, I bought a second wrap for those occasions

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:04:42 pm »
With some insulation around the wraps, I feel they do a better job and faster than heating the while interior. Both will get the job done

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:48 am »
I just bought a chest freezer for fermentation and was wondering if it makes a difference whether I use as my heating source a fermenter wrap (I have a Fermwrap) or a heating pad, which seems to be another popular option from what I can tell. In other words, is it better to warm the beer directly or the freezer so as to reach the proper temperature?

My sense is that both are fine--and if so, then I'll just use the wrap. But I'd rather hear from people with experience before I take the next step. Thanks.

A wrap is fine if you only ferment one batch at a time. If you plan on doing more than one, a 60 watt incandescent light bulb does a good job.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38:27 am »
My old setup with a heating pad was quite the Rube Goldberg machine.  Since the pad would shut off after being on an hour, I had a timer run it for 55 minutes every two hours.  It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback--it helps a lot to bring the matter into focus.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:10:21 pm »
I have a repti-heat cable that I wrapped around the inside with outdoor command hooks. It's a radiant heat and safe to the touch. Made for the inside of reptile terrariums, so it is safe to the touch.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:44 pm »
I recommend a ferm wrap taped against the inside wall, hooked to a temperature controller.  I do that to ferment two buckets at a time and it works fine -- with the probe in a thermowell placed through a hole drilled in the bucket lid.  I've done this for years.