Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vessi  (Read 21951 times)

Offline √ brewing

• 1st Kit
Re: Vessi
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 08:30:31 pm »
Has anyone received their bottler yet. If so does it function well?

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 08:50:43 am »
Just looking for a little input from those that are drinking a completed Vessi brew. Curious what you may have brewed and how long was it in the Vessi before you found it drinkable. I just tasted a bit of my cider (1st ever cider and 1st Vessi brew) and after 30+ hr. cold crash to 35 deg it's still relatively cloudy and yeasty tasting. I'm certainly not expecting a fully aged cider at this point (2 weeks in) and cloudy doesn't bother me as long as it's not yeast still in suspension. I may have to use something to drop the yeast further. It started at 1.062 and finished at 1.000 so it's relatively dry and I had to back sweeten with 2 cans frozen concentrate.

On another note, I haven't sorted out how the brew in the vessel gets to the dispensing tap. I haven't looked real close inside but I hadn't noticed a port anywhere near the bottom.

Offline aaronweiser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:19 am »
Just looking for a little input from those that are drinking a completed Vessi brew. Curious what you may have brewed and how long was it in the Vessi before you found it drinkable. I just tasted a bit of my cider (1st ever cider and 1st Vessi brew) and after 30+ hr. cold crash to 35 deg it's still relatively cloudy and yeasty tasting. I'm certainly not expecting a fully aged cider at this point (2 weeks in) and cloudy doesn't bother me as long as it's not yeast still in suspension. I may have to use something to drop the yeast further. It started at 1.062 and finished at 1.000 so it's relatively dry and I had to back sweeten with 2 cans frozen concentrate.

On another note, I haven't sorted out how the brew in the vessel gets to the dispensing tap. I haven't looked real close inside but I hadn't noticed a port anywhere near the bottom.

There is a port, just above where the tri clamp fitting is at the bottom. Easy to miss, it looks just like the CO2 outlet at the top, slightly rounded. The vessel only leaves a few inches of liquid in it which is a nice feature when cleaning.

From what I can tell looking in the back of the machine, there must be push fit tubing or bev tubing like the CO2 runs on and a tee valve to split the liquid to either the kegging/bottling port or to the tap. I didn't feel adventurous enough to take apart the machine housing and look through it yet.  ;)

I have just completed a pale lager for my first brew, and my experience is much the same as yours. I have dumped yeast twice but still have a hazy, slightly yeasty brew at 12 days post-pitch. I think I will try filtering, but you could also try gelatin or the like to drop the yeast. It will naturally clear, generally, within two or so weeks of conditioning time. I plan to keg mine so I can start the next batch - so I will let it clear and mature and get my Cider started!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:04:34 am by aaronweiser »

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:51 am »
Thanks Aaron.... we're about on the same page. I plan on kegging my cider once it clears up and then going onto batch #2 of something tasty! Post your cider experience.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:22 am »

There is a port, just above where the tri clamp fitting is at the bottom. Easy to miss, it looks just like the CO2 outlet at the top, slightly rounded. The vessel only leaves a few inches of liquid in it which is a nice feature when cleaning.

From what I can tell looking in the back of the machine, there must be push fit tubing or bev tubing like the CO2 runs on and a tee valve to split the liquid to either the kegging/bottling port or to the tap. I didn't feel adventurous enough to take apart the machine housing and look through it yet.  ;)

I have just completed a pale lager for my first brew, and my experience is much the same as yours. I have dumped yeast twice but still have a hazy, slightly yeasty brew at 12 days post-pitch. I think I will try filtering, but you could also try gelatin or the like to drop the yeast. It will naturally clear, generally, within two or so weeks of conditioning time. I plan to keg mine so I can start the next batch - so I will let it clear and mature and get my Cider started!
I'm drinking an IPA that I started almost a month ago. I dry hopped it a week ago as well. I purged the vessel probably 6 times since the bubblier stopped and after dry hopping. The beer is really good, and just lightly hazy. I love how the Vessi pours as well. I have a 2 tap kegerator and it doesn't pour nearly as nice.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:15 am »

I'm drinking an IPA that I started almost a month ago. I dry hopped it a week ago as well. I purged the vessel probably 6 times since the bubblier stopped and after dry hopping. The beer is really good, and just lightly hazy. I love how the Vessi pours as well. I have a 2 tap kegerator and it doesn't pour nearly as nice.

It's been 12-15 years since I've brewed (Vessi has reawakened me!) and I forgot a lot. I've dry hopped before but can't recall specifics. How did you dry hop with the Vessi? Anything different about the process?

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:21 am »

It's been 12-15 years since I've brewed (Vessi has reawakened me!) and I forgot a lot. I've dry hopped before but can't recall specifics. How did you dry hop with the Vessi? Anything different about the process?
I just waited until fermentation seemed done, then released the pressure in the tank and removed the big cover and added the dry hops. I waited around 4 days and then started purging the hops that had settled. I purged around 3-4 times after that, until the sight glass showed clear brown.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 09:55:54 am »

I just waited until fermentation seemed done, then released the pressure in the tank and removed the big cover and added the dry hops. I waited around 4 days and then started purging the hops that had settled. I purged around 3-4 times after that, until the sight glass showed clear brown.

Did you use whole or pellet hops?

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 10:47:40 am »

Did you use whole or pellet hops?
I used pellets but do grow hops too and use them in a hop back device for flavoring at the end of a boil. I probably won't dry hop with whole hops in Vessi. I'd be scared the input hole to the tap would clog and that would be a mess.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
Sipping on my fresh squeeze iPa, tasty!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 04:07:58 pm »

Clone that is, lol!

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 05:45:05 pm »

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline √ brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:26 pm »
Looks nice a good color and clear. How often did you have to remove the sediment? Did you do extract or all grain?

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 06:21:47 am »
Looks nice a good color and clear. How often did you have to remove the sediment? Did you do extract or all grain?
Thanks! When I move the wort from the kettle to Vessi, I use a stainless steel strainer to trap a lot of the trub. After fermentation I used the SRS a couple times a day for 4 days or so. I just rely on the site glass and purge until that comes back clean.
I've been brewing for around 1.5 years but on my third batch of beer, I went directly to all grain. I buy the grain in bulk and mill it at home with a corona mill. I went right to kegging as well, versus bottling not long after I went to all grain.
My next goal is to have a dedicated area for brewing versus using my kitchen...hoping to build a pole barn this spring for that.
I have a few friends that wanted to get into all grain so I made a youtube video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndcZLR-x6xM&t=2340s

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2017, 06:26:48 am »

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!