Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vessi  (Read 21947 times)

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
Re: Vessi
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »
I read somewhere in the Vessi documentation that a little leaking from the sight glass is ok.
I'm not sure what you mean by the 1.5 bar though.
I keep my pressure knob in the off position when I use the SRS tool. Once done I just turn it to pressurize to bring the vessel back to 10 psi while fermenting.
Also, I leave my bubblier attached all the time just to make sure no co2 is leaking out with the pressure relief valve all the way closed. I had to re-seat it a couple of times to stop the leak.

Thanks for the reminder - I had anticipated leaking would occur from the bottom of the valve not from the sightglass. It almost seemed like beer was going to explode from the valve, which concerned me. I don't want to drop the pressure to zero as I'm trying to use as much of the natural CO2 as possible. The manual says to drop to somewhere between 5-8 PSI, I might try going lower next time to see what happens.

1.5 Bar is a pressure, just different units. If you look at your gauge underneath the PSI, you will see it is ~22 PSI. I wanted to use as much natural carbonation as possible, so that when I cold crash I can reach the volumes I want with little to no additional CO2. Using a handy Carbonation Chart you can tell fairly well how much you would need based on your fermentation temperatures.

I haven't had any issues with the seating of the pressure relief valve, but the liquid injection port seems to seep CO2 when I bubble through it. I can't seem to get it to not leak no matter how tight or loose I screw the cap on. I might try adding some of the Husky grease to the o-ring to seal it better.
So far I've dropped my pressure down to between 5-8 PSI when using the SRS and have noticed once or twice the same thing around the sight glass. With my second brew though it didn't happen at all. It's probably just dependent on how you reassemble the SRS and how much grease is sued. I don't think it's a big though considering how much force is exerted when you crank the ball around, I'm sure it's built to operate this way. I noticed the same thing with the liquid injection port as well. Again no big deal to me since that's only used ever so often for a few seconds at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 04:21:17 pm »
So...about my Vessi and temperature, the folks from the labs actually emailed me directly. I think my Vessi may have an issue. It took 4 days to get to 41 degrees but from what I've seen here, thats not normal. Bob had talked about an algorithm about how the unit cycles and all that. Here is from an engineer:

It is normal for the unit to take more than 24 hours to get from 70 to 39.  Our algorithms for temperature control purposefully slow the cooling down to prevent over-chilling (and freezing) the upper section of the vessel while going from max temp to set temp.  For set temperatures at 46F and above, the unit will cool until it reaches the set temperature straight away with no delays, because we did not see over-chilling issues at that temperature set point.

So it seems like if you set it to crash cool to 46 deg it would cool as fast as possible and then you could set it colder from that point?

Charles, I'm curious how your issue was or is being resolved as you think your unit has an issue. Do they think it has an issue?

Good question for sure. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm going to try what you said though, on my next batch. I'll set the temp to 46, and if it doesn't get there in a reasonable time I'll contact the folks again and see what next steps are. I just hate to deal with returning the device and all that. I love this device and not having to move around carboys, transfers, all the sterilizing and all that has been a blessing. At 41 degrees the beer is plenty cold enough for sure but if the device has an issue, it will be best dealt with soon.
My first unit wouldn't chill properly similar to yours. I went to crash my first batch and after 48 hours the compressor never once turned off and the temperature only dropped 5 degrees! Immediately knew something wasn't right. After a few emails back and forth they decided to exchange the unit. It took a few good weeks to finally hear anything about the replacement unit but I was in no rush since the unit still had a good beer in it. I had to go about some asinine way of chilling each pour but it wasn't a total loss. The exchange was easy enough as well. They had a semi-local Whirlpool salesman/repairman exchange the units. New unit is 100% working and is pouring a tasty coffee stout w/ vanilla. My only gripe at this point is that this regulator is SUPER sensitive compared to my first one.

Offline valestij

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »
Ya, my regulator was super sensitive too. The reviews on Northern Brewer weren't the best for that regulator either.  Customer support for NB did say this though:
"We find that new regulators need a little bit of wearing in to help the diaphragm hold pressure as reliably as possible. Usually this takes a few uses and you can try increasing the pressure and purging the regulator by opening the red valve with nothing attached to try and loosen/dislodge any dust from manufacture."

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:07 pm »
Ya, my regulator was super sensitive too. The reviews on Northern Brewer weren't the best for that regulator either.  Customer support for NB did say this though:
"We find that new regulators need a little bit of wearing in to help the diaphragm hold pressure as reliably as possible. Usually this takes a few uses and you can try increasing the pressure and purging the regulator by opening the red valve with nothing attached to try and loosen/dislodge any dust from manufacture."
Oh cool! Well I'm glad to hear it's not a one off thing. Hopefully then over time it gets a little less sensitive.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:02 am »
@Patrick & Charles.... Patrick, how long did it take you to reach your desired 'cold crash' temp? I'm wondering how that compares to Charles who was wondering if it wasn't taking too long to get down to 40 deg.... Gary
I'd say about 24 hours. It is a very slow process by design, I assume. Why? No clue. You'll hear the compressor come on, the temperature will drop a few degrees, and then it will shut off and stay off for what seems like an eternity. It's like watching water boil so just walk away and it'll do its thing. HOWEVER, I did figure out a trick to force shorter cycles between the compressor turning on and off. Once the unit is showing that it has dropped a few degrees and the compressor has shut off you can turn the entire off, let it sit for a minute, and then turn it back on. The set temperature will remain at what you set it and the compressor will kick back on to drop it a few more degrees. Repeat that process and you can skip the cycles. Although this process probably shouldn't be done since it's not by design. 

Yesterday I tried that same idea Patrick except after I shut vessi off, I forgot to turn it back on so it sat off for 45 minutes. When I turned it back on it had gone from 41 degrees to 47 degrees, which I was surprised about. That kind of tells me that vessi isn't to well insulated. My house was 70 degrees so its not to warm in here, like it will be in the summer. The device slowly cycled all night and is down to just 42 degrees now. It's never been lower than 41 degrees as well. I'll contact Whirlpool and see what they think.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 06:46:13 am »
@Patrick & Charles.... Patrick, how long did it take you to reach your desired 'cold crash' temp? I'm wondering how that compares to Charles who was wondering if it wasn't taking too long to get down to 40 deg.... Gary
I'd say about 24 hours. It is a very slow process by design, I assume. Why? No clue. You'll hear the compressor come on, the temperature will drop a few degrees, and then it will shut off and stay off for what seems like an eternity. It's like watching water boil so just walk away and it'll do its thing. HOWEVER, I did figure out a trick to force shorter cycles between the compressor turning on and off. Once the unit is showing that it has dropped a few degrees and the compressor has shut off you can turn the entire off, let it sit for a minute, and then turn it back on. The set temperature will remain at what you set it and the compressor will kick back on to drop it a few more degrees. Repeat that process and you can skip the cycles. Although this process probably shouldn't be done since it's not by design. 

Yesterday I tried that same idea Patrick except after I shut vessi off, I forgot to turn it back on so it sat off for 45 minutes. When I turned it back on it had gone from 41 degrees to 47 degrees, which I was surprised about. That kind of tells me that vessi isn't to well insulated. My house was 70 degrees so its not to warm in here, like it will be in the summer. The device slowly cycled all night and is down to just 42 degrees now. It's never been lower than 41 degrees as well. I'll contact Whirlpool and see what they think.
Yeah just keep in touch with askbob@getvessi.com to figure out if it's indeed not right and will be exchanged.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 07:07:09 am »

Yeah just keep in touch with askbob@getvessi.com to figure out if it's indeed not right and will be exchanged.

I tried the cycling trick and now its at 40 degrees and will probably go lower if I keep doing that...
I emailed the Vessi folks and updated them with what I see and asked for next steps.
Thanks!

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 04:38:59 pm »
I started cold crashing a batch and set it at 47 deg. It dropped from 75 deg to 47 in exactly 3 hours and then compressor turned off. I reset for 35 deg. and watching to see how quickly it drops to the set temp as now it's in that 'probably going to cycle on and off' stage of the cooling algorithm.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 06:57:48 pm »
I started cold crashing a batch and set it at 47 deg. It dropped from 75 deg to 47 in exactly 3 hours and then compressor turned off. I reset for 35 deg. and watching to see how quickly it drops to the set temp as now it's in that 'probably going to cycle on and off' stage of the cooling algorithm.
Very good to know, thank you!. I did the power cycle trick a couple times today and my vessi went to 38 degrees. That's where I have it set now and it's maintained temperature all day, cycling as needed. Not sure if I should persure replacement yet, and may wait until my next batch of beer to see.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
I only rebooted it once after it reached the 47 deg setpoint. Since then it seems to be dropping about 2 deg/hr and is now at 42 deg. I'll leave it run it's course and by all accounts it should reach the current setpoint of 35 deg by the time I roll out in the morning.

Offline √ brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:40 pm »
 I was one of the eary bird purchaser that still have not received their Vessi yet. Seems like a few of the Vessi are having the same problems with cold cashing to the proper temp. I sure hope they will render this problem when mine comes in. I will keep y'all posted. Looking forward to sharing brewing ideas and recipes.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 04:36:26 am »
I only rebooted it once after it reached the 47 deg setpoint. Since then it seems to be dropping about 2 deg/hr and is now at 42 deg. I'll leave it run it's course and by all accounts it should reach the current setpoint of 35 deg by the time I roll out in the morning.
It's right at 35 deg at 6 this morning, so it seems mine is  functioning as expected :).

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 05:12:44 am »
Nice! Well mine didn't do great. After mine being at 38 all day, last night I changed the set point to 35 and this morning it's still 38. It's like this device won't change temp unless I reboot it, but yet it will hold temp all day long. So it's probably going back, bummer.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 06:14:31 am »
Bummer CJ.... hope it all sorts out in the end.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:08 pm »
I was one of the eary bird purchaser that still have not received their Vessi yet. Seems like a few of the Vessi are having the same problems with cold cashing to the proper temp. I sure hope they will render this problem when mine comes in. I will keep y'all posted. Looking forward to sharing brewing ideas and recipes.
Welcome to the conversation! I was one of the first 10 backers myself and have had the unit for a few months now. Let us know when you get yours and feel free to ask any questions you may have! I've made two beers with it so far.