Author Topic: Vessi  (Read 21949 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vessi
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:52 am »
FYI, this is a Vessi thread, not a Vessi forum....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 12:27:01 pm »
I had no such issues with the SRS, at least so far. I've only used it once on my first brew.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »
Hi Denny,
Is there a way to make this more of a forum versus a thread? It would probably work better as a forum so we could respond to specific posts versus the whole thread.
Is that something I could setup, or would it take a moderator? We may end up having a lot of users join and I'd like it to be a great experience.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »
So...about my Vessi and temperature, the folks from the labs actually emailed me directly. I think my Vessi may have an issue. It took 4 days to get to 41 degrees but from what I've seen here, thats not normal. Bob had talked about an algorithm about how the unit cycles and all that. Here is from an engineer:

From the performance tests we have done, the displayed temperature may continue to be 41.  However, that reading is just from one spot towards the bottom of the vessel.  The beer above that point is actually colder than that spot.  From the tests we have done, it all depends on the ambient temperature of the room the Vessi is in, the set point for temperature, the specific gravity of the beer, the alcohol content of the beer, and the amount of liquid in the vessel.  Our goal is to be +/- 2F at any place in the vessel to your set temperature.

It is normal for the unit to take more than 24 hours to get from 70 to 39.  Our algorithms for temperature control purposefully slow the cooling down to prevent over-chilling (and freezing) the upper section of the vessel while going from max temp to set temp.  For set temperatures at 46F and above, the unit will cool until it reaches the set temperature straight away with no delays, because we did not see over-chilling issues at that temperature set point.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
So I asked this in the IGG page, but any advise on when should you cold crash? An should let the beer warm back up to age?

I let a batch ferment for 7 days and it hit the correct F.G. Then I removed sediment for a couple days in a row using the Sediment Removal System.  After a few days I lower the temp for a week and removed more sediment that fell out during the cold crash

Since I carbonated under pressure, it was ready to drink and I sampled a few.  They were pretty good, but still a little “green”.  Since the recipe says to leave in secondary for 3 weeks;  is it okay to age it cold, or should I warm it back up to let it age?

Sorry for the question, but cold crashing is new to me.  Normally I just transfer and let age in the secondary for awhile depending on the recipe before kegging and/or bottling.

My guess would be that since you hit the FG, there is no point to warm it back up. I'd just let sit and age a little more, then drink.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 02:21:34 pm »
Hi Denny,
Is there a way to make this more of a forum versus a thread? It would probably work better as a forum so we could respond to specific posts versus the whole thread.
Is that something I could setup, or would it take a moderator? We may end up having a lot of users join and I'd like it to be a great experience.

No, sorry.  Making a forum for a product would violate our "no advertising" rule.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:22:12 pm »
Hi guys - thanks for setting up this thread! I'm just crashing my first batch now so I'm very excited to hear the progress of others.

In reference to the aging question, my goal is to keg each batch after crashing/fining and let it age in cold storage until it's ready. If you didn't have kegging equipment, I would predict a 7-21 day maturation phase would improve the flavor overall, at serving temps would be fine or in the 40's.

I do have a question for anyone who was fermenting under pressure, did you have any issues with your SRS when you dropped sediment? I reduced my pressure to 5-8 psi and when I ran the first couple of purges, the pressure gauge shot way back up and my SRS appeared to be leaking around the sightglass. Startled me to say the least. No leaks and no issues pressurizing it all the way up to 1.5 bar during fermentation, only when I went to drop the yeast.

Cheers!
I read somewhere in the Vessi documentation that a little leaking from the sight glass is ok.
I'm not sure what you mean by the 1.5 bar though.
I keep my pressure knob in the off position when I use the SRS tool. Once done I just turn it to pressurize to bring the vessel back to 10 psi while fermenting.
Also, I leave my bubblier attached all the time just to make sure no co2 is leaking out with the pressure relief valve all the way closed. I had to re-seat it a couple of times to stop the leak.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 02:23:51 pm »
Hi Denny,

No, sorry.  Making a forum for a product would violate our "no advertising" rule.
Then a thread it stays! Thanks!

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »
The easiest way to post a picture is to get the tapatalk app and take a picture with your device. Its as easy as sharing a photo via text or email that way.
The hosting thing is a pia, relatively speaking.

Thanks for that tip! I'll be installing tapatalk shortly.

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:19 pm »

My Vessi...just got a 3D printer as well and made the tap handle, so fun!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline aaronweiser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:46 pm »
I read somewhere in the Vessi documentation that a little leaking from the sight glass is ok.
I'm not sure what you mean by the 1.5 bar though.
I keep my pressure knob in the off position when I use the SRS tool. Once done I just turn it to pressurize to bring the vessel back to 10 psi while fermenting.
Also, I leave my bubblier attached all the time just to make sure no co2 is leaking out with the pressure relief valve all the way closed. I had to re-seat it a couple of times to stop the leak.

Thanks for the reminder - I had anticipated leaking would occur from the bottom of the valve not from the sightglass. It almost seemed like beer was going to explode from the valve, which concerned me. I don't want to drop the pressure to zero as I'm trying to use as much of the natural CO2 as possible. The manual says to drop to somewhere between 5-8 PSI, I might try going lower next time to see what happens.

1.5 Bar is a pressure, just different units. If you look at your gauge underneath the PSI, you will see it is ~22 PSI. I wanted to use as much natural carbonation as possible, so that when I cold crash I can reach the volumes I want with little to no additional CO2. Using a handy Carbonation Chart you can tell fairly well how much you would need based on your fermentation temperatures.

I haven't had any issues with the seating of the pressure relief valve, but the liquid injection port seems to seep CO2 when I bubble through it. I can't seem to get it to not leak no matter how tight or loose I screw the cap on. I might try adding some of the Husky grease to the o-ring to seal it better.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
So...about my Vessi and temperature, the folks from the labs actually emailed me directly. I think my Vessi may have an issue. It took 4 days to get to 41 degrees but from what I've seen here, thats not normal. Bob had talked about an algorithm about how the unit cycles and all that. Here is from an engineer:

It is normal for the unit to take more than 24 hours to get from 70 to 39.  Our algorithms for temperature control purposefully slow the cooling down to prevent over-chilling (and freezing) the upper section of the vessel while going from max temp to set temp.  For set temperatures at 46F and above, the unit will cool until it reaches the set temperature straight away with no delays, because we did not see over-chilling issues at that temperature set point.

So it seems like if you set it to crash cool to 46 deg it would cool as fast as possible and then you could set it colder from that point?

Charles, I'm curious how your issue was or is being resolved as you think your unit has an issue. Do they think it has an issue?

Offline cjdock

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »

So it seems like if you set it to crash cool to 46 deg it would cool as fast as possible and then you could set it colder from that point?

Charles, I'm curious how your issue was or is being resolved as you think your unit has an issue. Do they think it has an issue?

Good question for sure. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm going to try what you said though, on my next batch. I'll set the temp to 46, and if it doesn't get there in a reasonable time I'll contact the folks again and see what next steps are. I just hate to deal with returning the device and all that. I love this device and not having to move around carboys, transfers, all the sterilizing and all that has been a blessing. At 41 degrees the beer is plenty cold enough for sure but if the device has an issue, it will be best dealt with soon.

Offline blenderbender

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »
I'll be watching to see how it goes with your next batch. And in the meantime I'll be crash cooling my first batch in a couple days and will pay close attention to cooling rate. I'll post results when I get there.

Offline Patrick

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 04:04:06 pm »

My Vessi...just got a 3D printer as well and made the tap handle, so fun!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Awesome! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk