Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SafAle US-05 Optimum temperature range changed on spec sheet  (Read 44984 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: SafAle US-05 Optimum temperature range changed on spec sheet
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:19:40 am »
In my honest opinion, just ignore the "recommended temp ranges" on the yeast packages.
If you are unsure of a good fermentation temp you want for your beer, just look around the forums and see what folks have been recommending for the yeast/style you are brewing.

Totally agree.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:31 am »
In my honest opinion, just ignore the "recommended temp ranges" on the yeast packages.
If you are unsure of a good fermentation temp you want for your beer, just look around the forums and see what folks have been recommending for the yeast/style you are brewing.

Good point!

In my opinion US05 has an optimum range of about 58F-75F. People report "peach" and other flavor differences depending on temp but I have never detected that...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 09:32:49 am »

This is the best advice. And find out for yourself. People here report they like us-05 at low temps, I don't at all. Doesn't make them wrong or me right. Just preference.

FYI I like us-05 and find it cleanest at about 66-68 degrees

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:48 am »

Good point!

In my opinion US05 has an optimum range of about 58F-75F. People report "peach" and other flavor differences depending on temp but I have never detected that...

I find the peach so objectionable that I've dumped batches of beer made with 05 and will not use it any longer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:42 am »

Good point!

I find the peach so objectionable that I've dumped batches of beer made with 05 and will not use it any longer.

That's cool. Glad that hasn't happened to me. Maybe I don't know what peach tastes like...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:51 am »
When the peach is present, it's unmistakeable.  It's happened to me only when I've fermented below 55 F.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 11:05:46 am »
When the peach is present, it's unmistakeable.  It's happened to me only when I've fermented below 55 F.

I got it at 65F.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:52 am »

Good point!

Do you also get peach from the liquid equivalents?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 11:54:40 am »
Personally I haven't used WLP001 or 1056 in many many years so I can't speak to that.  In fact I'm on a quest to find the best 21st century dry yeast for every beer style under the sun.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 11:57:15 am »

Nope, not at all.  And you bring up something Marshall and I have been discussing today....I don't really find all 3 to be equivalents.  I find 1056 to be drier and crisper than 001.  And 05 isn't even in the game.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 02:28:57 pm »

Nope, not at all.  And you bring up something Marshall and I have been discussing today....I don't really find all 3 to be equivalents.  I find 1056 to be drier and crisper than 001.  And 05 isn't even in the game.

hmm, might need to revisit some things and check it out. Any experience with some of the new guys "chico" strain, i.e. imperial and gigayeast?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »
hmm, might need to revisit some things and check it out. Any experience with some of the new guys "chico" strain, i.e. imperial and gigayeast?

Tried the Imperial A07 Flagship.  IMO it's just like 1056.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »
It's funny, Denny, I've always liked WLP001 just a tad better than Wy1056, because I thought it produced a cleaner, drier beer.  I gave US-05 a good shot, probably made about 8 or 10 batches with it, but I'm just not a fan.  I like both of the liquid Chico strains better.

After a while, I started to use the James Bond yeast WLP007 (which I also like better than Wy1098) for my IPAs and APAs because I find both of the American strains were almost too clean.  I still occasionally go back to 1056 and 001 though.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:43 pm »
It's funny, Denny, I've always liked WLP001 just a tad better than Wy1056, because I thought it produced a cleaner, drier beer.  I gave US-05 a good shot, probably made about 8 or 10 batches with it, but I'm just not a fan.  I like both of the liquid Chico strains better.

After a while, I started to use the James Bond yeast WLP007 (which I also like better than Wy1098) for my IPAs and APAs because I find both of the American strains were almost too clean.  I still occasionally go back to 1056 and 001 though.

I've brewed back to back bitters with WY1098 after a few years of WLP007. I also think these are a bit different and I'm going back to WLP007.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 12:50:31 pm »

I've brewed back to back bitters with WY1098 after a few years of WLP007. I also think these are a bit different and I'm going back to WLP007.

I'm in the minority and prefer 1098. I'll say I use it to be fairly clean, with only a slight ester. I've gotten away from brewing most British beers (just decided I don't care for the fruity esters), so I can't judge its estery character at higher levels. I use it for my Arrogant Bastard-ish American Strong Ale because Stone allegedly does.
Jon H.