Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer style(s) for Thanksgiving?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline ThreeBeer

• 1st Kit
Beer style(s) for Thanksgiving?
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »
As the family homebrewer, I usually bring a beer or two for Thanksgiving. Nothing special, usually whatever I have around.

This year I'd like to brew one, or two, specifically for the day. One that will pair with the food. The usual Tday stuff on the table, and pies after everybody wakes from the food coma.

Anyone have suggestions?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Beer style(s) for Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »
Thanksgiving is a really big deal in my family, and I've always brewed a beer to bring along.

My advice is, don't brew something heavy or too high in alcohol. The first time I brewed for Thanksgiving I did NB's Surly Bender clone. It was a great beer, but just too filling/intoxicating. Folks had one or two then switched to commercial beers. (Heineken, Sam Adams, etc.)

Since then I've always tried to keep the ABV under 5%, and folks have said they prefer this. Last year I brewed a 3.8ish% bitter, we killed the corny that day. This year I'm planning a stout porter, should be about 4.2%. Planning on serving this one on cask, we'll see how it goes...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
I agree that high abv beers can be tough after all the heavy food. Having several taps, I like to have a tap or two with lighter bodied offerings for people to choose - cream ale, various pils, table saison, etc. But I'll admit that in the fall I like to have beers like American Brown, Dubbel, stouts,etc., around as seasonals. But I brew a pretty decent American hoppy beer and those seem to go fast regardless of season.

Edit - It pains me to suggest a pumpkin beer (as I'm thoroughly burned out on them) but given the holiday....never mind. Nope.  Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:22:50 am »
I bring cranberry mead to Thanksgiving.
As a beer lover and foodie I actually have to say that beer just doesn't go with Thanksgiving.Its just a recipe for feeling crappy. Mead or wine before the meal and with it and a pour of whiskey or a digestive like fernet or grappa after (or the best of both worlds:a smoking gun) is the way to go.
But that's not what you want to hear. How about a <4% saison with a little cranberry for before the meal? Then, against the others advice, how about a quad, RIS, or barleywine to go with dessert in 4 or 6 oz pours?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:24:16 am »
Really take it to heart and make a Thanksgiving-flavored beer. Add sweet potatoes and pumpkin to the mash. Boil with a whole turkey like an old cock ale. Add poultry herbs at flameout. Ferment and add cranberries in secondary. Don't be afraid to add other vegetables to the mash--whatever you enjoy on turkey day.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:38:44 pm »
I think a Vienna Lager would be nice for Thanksgiving.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »
Any homebrew is great on a day devoted to a homemade meal. But I always like to have an Amber Ale and a Porter--the first with the meal itself and the second before and maybe after (especially by the fireplace).
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 05:02:18 am »
I bring cranberry mead to Thanksgiving.
As a beer lover and foodie I actually have to say that beer just doesn't go with Thanksgiving.Its just a recipe for feeling crappy. Mead or wine before the meal and with it and a pour of whiskey or a digestive like fernet or grappa after (or the best of both worlds:a smoking gun) is the way to go.
But that's not what you want to hear. How about a <4% saison with a little cranberry for before the meal? Then, against the others advice, how about a quad, RIS, or barleywine to go with dessert in 4 or 6 oz pours?

Pete has a point. Maybe the better question is what sort of food do you serve?

I'm fortunate that aside from the typical turkey/mashed potatoes/stuffing, we also have a bunch of regional/family favorites that are Thanksgiving staples. SOMD stuffed ham, Tourtière, roasted turnips, homemade rolls...all very good with beer.

If your family has any of it's own favorite/traditional meals it might be fun to brew a beer specifically to go along with that dish.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

narvin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:11:03 am »
I'm a huge fan of Saison Dupont with turkey, so I'd suggest something in that vein.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:42 am »
I'm a huge fan of Saison Dupont with turkey, so I'd suggest something in that vein.

Yep, not too many beers I like better. Goes great @ Thanksgiving.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:36:21 am »
I often make an apple ale for Thanksgiving.  It's basically a witbier base with half the liquid being fresh orchard apple cider.

In the past I have also made winter warmers... probably about time for me to brew a winter warmer again actually, I think that's a really good idea.  Yeah...
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 04:04:37 pm »
I'll go completely against the grain and suggest a Mild or an English Bitter.  Or better yet, one in-between the two - an English Bitter with some Simpson's Double Roast to land in a "sweet spot" between the two styles.  I just made some of that and I am having trouble not tapping into it every night this week!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:07 pm »
I'll go completely against the grain and suggest a Mild or an English Bitter.  Or better yet, one in-between the two - an English Bitter with some Simpson's Double Roast to land in a "sweet spot" between the two styles.  I just made some of that and I am having trouble not tapping into it every night this week!
I agree that a Mild would be very nice.
Dan Chisholm

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Also along the lines of Bitters and Marzens is Irish Red.  Very refreshing and quaffable and goes great with many foods.  I think its a great gateway beer for the BMC "I don't like dark beer" folks. They taste Irish Red and are surprised (in a good way).  It's another one of my "unsung hero" favorites, and is quite flexible in terms of how big or small you can make it.
(1.044 - 1.060).
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge