Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast  (Read 28220 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2016, 10:06:55 am »
I'm going to try this yeast tomorrow, assuming the LHBS carries it and the other stuff I want. I adapted the following recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. ESB is the first style I ever brewed, from an extract kit I bought in Jan 2009.

I'm mulling over buying RO water and then treating it. Regardless, it will be beer. There is one process change: fermenting in a bucket with a spigot, so I can drain directly into a purged keg.

Interregnum ESB (2.5 gallons)

6 lbs Golden Promise
4 oz Crystal 15L
2 oz Crystal 120L
.75 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA 60 min
1.25 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA whirlpool
1/2 tab whirfloc
1 packet Lallemand London Premium ESB Yeast
Campden tablet in bottled spring water

Mash 152 (no sparge)
Ferment 68
Carbonate 1.75 vol
Maybe toss .5 oz hops in the keg in a small weighted bag
I would suggest mashing a little cooler, 148 maybe.  I did an ESB with that yeast and mashed 152-154.  It fermented out a bit sweet for my taste.  This yeast doesn't ferment maltriose.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:32 am »
I'm going to try this yeast tomorrow, assuming the LHBS carries it and the other stuff I want. I adapted the following recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. ESB is the first style I ever brewed, from an extract kit I bought in Jan 2009.

I'm mulling over buying RO water and then treating it. Regardless, it will be beer. There is one process change: fermenting in a bucket with a spigot, so I can drain directly into a purged keg.

Interregnum ESB (2.5 gallons)

6 lbs Golden Promise
4 oz Crystal 15L
2 oz Crystal 120L
.75 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA 60 min
1.25 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA whirlpool
1/2 tab whirfloc
1 packet Lallemand London Premium ESB Yeast
Campden tablet in bottled spring water

Mash 152 (no sparge)
Ferment 68
Carbonate 1.75 vol
Maybe toss .5 oz hops in the keg in a small weighted bag
I would suggest mashing a little cooler, 148 maybe.  I did an ESB with that yeast and mashed 152-154.  It fermented out a bit sweet for my taste.  This yeast doesn't ferment maltriose.

That's very helpful, thanks!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 03:33:19 pm »
I used this today. Made a Bitter, 1.048 and mashed 148-150* for the most part. Pitched at 66* and will ferment around the same. Used Bru'n Water Amber Dry water profile pretty much.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:49 am »
I used this today. Made a Bitter, 1.048 and mashed 148-150* for the most part. Pitched at 66* and will ferment around the same. Used Bru'n Water Amber Dry water profile pretty much.

This strain is a low attenuation yeast strain that cannot utilize any maltotriose generated during the mash.  Unless you have a decent amount of simple sugars (table sugar, invert, candi syrup, dextrose, etc) in the beer, or have planned your recipe around 65% attenuation (FG 1.016-1.017), I would recommend "encouraging" continued fermentation through temperature increasing.  Another characteristic is that this yeast is FAST to ferment (36-48 hours to FG).  With these things in mind, I personally give about 24 hours of controlled fermentation at the temperature of my choice, and after that period I get the fermenter up to 72-74F and keep it there (and cross my fingers it helps with additional attenuation).

I'd like to hear how it all works out regardless of good/bad results.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 04:41:05 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread concerning London Ale dry yeast. I used it in a Brown Ale and planned for the low AA as I didn’t include simple sugars in my recipe. Good to go there.

My concern is the difficulty in clearing. I used whirlflock, Brewtan, cold crashed, and gelatin but still have a cloudy beer. I don’t like cloudy beer.

hopefully it clears in the next cpl days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »
Resurrecting this old thread concerning London Ale dry yeast. I used it in a Brown Ale and planned for the low AA as I didn’t include simple sugars in my recipe. Good to go there.

My concern is the difficulty in clearing. I used whirlflock, Brewtan, cold crashed, and gelatin but still have a cloudy beer. I don’t like cloudy beer.

Hopefully. I had trouble with it also. But it did clear eventually. I don’t remember how long it took.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2020, 06:35:01 am »

Add me to the list. I'm guilty of not updating after I used it but I remember it pretty well. The beer was an English Bitter, I don't recall the lag time or fermentation qualities but I do remember the finished beer. I don't recall it being overly sweet from high finishing gravity but I also remember it being just pretty middle of the road otherwise. Now that I know more about this yeast it's reported to be very close to Windsor English dry yeast, having similar fermentation qualities but cleaner esters. It also had a name change from London ESB to London. This beer didn't clear well, even with my usual process at the end of boil. I was initially very excited to try it as a dry alternative to ESB liquid strains but I don't find it to be the case. It also does not like to go cool, it needs to be 65* and up. Lallemand in general has the need for higher pitch rates, or at least suggests them, so I think this is where we find ourselves with such long lag times using it.

I'm not against trying it again, but there was nothing that really grabbed my attention to do so. Maybe more so for darker English Styles, especially Mild, Southern Brown Ale, maybe Brown Porter and Stouts. Beers more on the lower OG and session side where you might want the body it leaves.

Hopefully. I had trouble with it also. But it did clear eventually. I don’t remember how long it took.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2020, 06:40:56 am »

Add me to the list. I'm guilty of not updating after I used it but I remember it pretty well. The beer was an English Bitter, I don't recall the lag time or fermentation qualities but I do remember the finished beer. I don't recall it being overly sweet from high finishing gravity but I also remember it being just pretty middle of the road otherwise. Now that I know more about this yeast it's reported to be very close to Windsor English dry yeast, having similar fermentation qualities but cleaner esters. It also had a name change from London ESB to London. This beer didn't clear well, even with my usual process at the end of boil. I was initially very excited to try it as a dry alternative to ESB liquid strains but I don't find it to be the case. It also does not like to go cool, it needs to be 65* and up. Lallemand in general has the need for higher pitch rates, or at least suggests them, so I think this is where we find ourselves with such long lag times using it.

I'm not against trying it again, but there was nothing that really grabbed my attention to do so. Maybe more so for darker English Styles, especially Mild, Southern Brown Ale, maybe Brown Porter and Stouts. Beers more on the lower OG and session side where you might want the body it leaves.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:42 am »
I recently made a few really good beers with this yeast, a London brown ale, a cream ale, and a witbier(!).  The wit didn't clear I think because of all the oats (I decided to try oats instead of wheat), but I didn't notice any problems with the others clearing.  I think this is a relatively clean yeast, very low esters (for me, anyway), brings out the malt.  I will be using it again anytime I want malty flavors, don't mind low esters, and don't want a lot of alcohol or very dry finish.  It's a tool in my toolbox and I will use it again.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2020, 05:04:11 pm »
I recently made a few really good beers with this yeast, a London brown ale, a cream ale, and a witbier(!).  The wit didn't clear I think because of all the oats (I decided to try oats instead of wheat), but I didn't notice any problems with the others clearing.  I think this is a relatively clean yeast, very low esters (for me, anyway), brings out the malt.  I will be using it again anytime I want malty flavors, don't mind low esters, and don't want a lot of alcohol or very dry finish.  It's a tool in my toolbox and I will use it again.
Something just clicked when I read this. I've always felt pretty meh when it comes to this yeast because I was looking for an estery English strain, but this was much cleaner than I hoped. I hadn't considered its potential utility for session ales. This would be really nice in a lower gravity amber, porter, american brown ale, etc. I have room in my toolbox for that :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2020, 06:42:20 pm »
Something just clicked when I read this. I've always felt pretty meh when it comes to this yeast because I was looking for an estery English strain, but this was much cleaner than I hoped. I hadn't considered its potential utility for session ales. This would be really nice in a lower gravity amber, porter, american brown ale, etc. I have room in my toolbox for that :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have been thinking of trying it in an ordinary bitter.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2021, 09:21:42 am »
Re-resurrecting an old thread...

I will be trying this yeast out in an English/London Porter in a couple of weeks.  My goal is to accentuate the malt flavors and mouthfeel without ending up with a "sweet" beer.  I've had some success doing this with 1450 and Windsor in the past but thought I'd give London (née ESB) a shot.

The recipe will have about 75% base malt, with brown, crystal and chocolate making up the difference.

I was thinking of mashing relatively low, say 148°F, since attenuation will probably be pretty low to begin with.  (I'm basing the recipe on 65%aa.)  I will also be fermenting in the upper 60's.  I'm not super concerned about clarity though I will use kettle finings and allow plenty of time in both FV and keg for whatever yeast that decides to settle out to actually do so.

I kicked around the idea of adding a wee bit of sugar to the mash to help with attenuation but I'm thinking that will be counterproductive to the goal.

To the London users, thoughts on any of this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2021, 10:57:31 am »
You may want to add some sugar whereby to reach a decent apparent attenuation.  Something like Demerara or Invert sugar might be best.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2021, 11:37:08 am »
Is there a rule of thumb on how much sugar is needed to move the FG down by 1 point? I understand the advice to add sugar to decrease gravity but don’t know how much sugar is needed.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2021, 12:11:19 pm »
Is there a rule of thumb on how much sugar is needed to move the FG down by 1 point? I understand the advice to add sugar to decrease gravity but don’t know how much sugar is needed.
If I plug 1 lb Demerara sugar into BeerSmith it says 1.009. So 1.001 should be ~.125 lb.