Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2016 Final Round scores  (Read 10485 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: NHC 2016 Final Round scores
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »

FWIW, though, I have never hit 40 in the Finals, and now have 4 medals.  38.5 is very good

Ugh.... I think I am the opposite of you.  I have had 4 over 40 in the finals and no medals.  44 on Dortmunder this year was my "high" for the finals. I would gladly trade:)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 06:01:42 am »
42 for my Doppelbock, 40 for the new world cider and both got bumped in mini-BOS
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:02 am »
Hmmmm.  Got a 38.5 for my mbos Hefe but a 0 for my RIS. does that mean they lost it or it wasn't judged?  It scored a 44 and a 1st place in the first round.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 06:45:14 am »
I got a 40 for my vienna and made it mini-BOS, but got bumped.  Only a 33 for my german pils, which always scores high 30's to low 40s in the first round, but never gets above low 30s in the Finals.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 07:39:43 am »
It must be fun to judge the NHC final round with all the great scores. Great job!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 08:20:07 am »
It must be fun to judge the NHC final round with all the great scores. Great job!

Yes, and no.  Mostly good to great beers, but there are some stinkers on occasion.  Guys next to us received a really problematic Black or Brown IPA.  The first bottle was awful, so they asked for a second bottle, and it was only bad.  They wound up giving it a 19 (which honestly is the same as a courtesy 13 in most competitions).  Much like any other competition, bad bottles show up (infection or similar problems), and other times, it's a rushed rebrew that didn't turn out the same.  This one had some manner of infection.  They poured the steward a big cup to 'thank him' for bringing it to them.

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 02:16:00 pm »
I scored a 41 for my cream ale, which made mini-bos but did not place. First time I've made it that far, and I am still without a medal after five final round appearances.  There is always next year.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »
I scored a 41 for my cream ale, which made mini-bos but did not place. First time I've made it that far, and I am still without a medal after five final round appearances.  There is always next year.

I am in the same boat, but going on my sixth year with no hardware. We must be the best losers!  ;)

Offline seyahmit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 02:58:37 pm »
My international amber lager scored a 35 and made it to mini BOS. No medal though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 03:04:04 pm »
I'm on a run of good scores not advancing lately. Best this year was a 41 on my cider, didn't advance. Hoping to break the streak next year.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 03:43:13 pm »
I'm on a run of good scores not advancing lately. Best this year was a 41 on my cider, didn't advance. Hoping to break the streak next year.
Hey, last time I had one in the second round was Philly. Had a nice run, but the last 3 years makes me say "there are a lot of good Brewers out there".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2016, 03:50:02 pm »
but the last 3 years makes me say "there are a lot of good Brewers out there".

Absolutely. The talent pool is pretty deep.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:52 pm »
but the last 3 years makes me say "there are a lot of good Brewers out there".

Absolutely. The talent pool is pretty deep.
It is also getting deeper. It was a long time before I saw familiar names.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 06:44:00 pm »

Yes, and no.  Mostly good to great beers, but there are some stinkers on occasion.  Guys next to us received a really problematic Black or Brown IPA.  The first bottle was awful, so they asked for a second bottle, and it was only bad.  They wound up giving it a 19 (which honestly is the same as a courtesy 13 in most competitions).  Much like any other competition, bad bottles show up (infection or similar problems), and other times, it's a rushed rebrew that didn't turn out the same.  This one had some manner of infection.  They poured the steward a big cup to 'thank him' for bringing it to them.

Totally agree with Toby's comments.  Some of the 2nd round beers are awesome.  Some of the styles that would benefit from rebrew are not, and the age shows, or, the rebrew is not as good as the one that got them there.

I was lucky enough to also judge 2nd round NHC BOS last year (San Diego).  Even then, we narrowed down to about the top 12 somewhat quickly.  After that, it got very difficult.
The Gueze that won that flight was simply phenomenal.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 07:24:55 am »

Totally agree with Toby's comments.  Some of the 2nd round beers are awesome.  Some of the styles that would benefit from rebrew are not, and the age shows, or, the rebrew is not as good as the one that got them there.

I was lucky enough to also judge 2nd round NHC BOS last year (San Diego).  Even then, we narrowed down to about the top 12 somewhat quickly.  After that, it got very difficult.
The Gueze that won that flight was simply phenomenal.

Going through the 24 beers (2 didn't send a 3rd bottle and weren't represented) quickly is the only way the hefe managed to win.  We wanted to kick flawed beers as soon as they landed on the table but couldn't hear over the stewards so we did have to let them finish.  After that though, 30 minutes.