Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain mills  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Grain mills
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:57:20 am »
   I recently, finally, managed to get back into brewing after a 25 year hiatus.  I want to upgrade from my old corona mill and am seeking input from you all on what to buy. I am less concerned about cost than quality, I'll gladly spend more if I receive a commensurate increase in product quality. Are 3 roller mills worth the extra cost over 2 roller mills? Is a 2 roller Monster Mill worth nearly double the price of a Barley Crusher branded 2 roller mill? Have any of you experience with the Kegco 3 roller mill or the Captain Crush 3 roller? Sorry if this seems a bit pedestrian for you more advanced guys.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Grain mills
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:37 am »
I have used a 2 roller JSP adjustable for over 15 years and thousands of lb. of grain.  I get a great crush and can't imagine why I'd want a 3 roller mill.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain mills
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:06:59 am »
I have an MM2 v1 and love it. Many friends have the MM3 and love it equally. I don't like how difficult it is to measure the gap on the MM3, but I guess that isn't a big deal after it's set.

The captain crush is way to expensive considering it has a plastic hopper.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:26:13 am by Stevie »

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:17 am »
I have a JSP non-adjustable, and I love it. I get a perfect crush and 80% efficiency every time. Mill cost $110 plus $25 for shipping, and the thing is built like a tank.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »
I have a MM3. My thought was buy once, cry once. Yes a 2-roller may have met my needs perfectly as well, but at the time I was paranoid about tannins. I don't think you'd go bad either way.

With the MM3 you have to take it off the base to measure gap. I don't change my grind settings, so it doesn't bother me.

Don't touch anything Kegco, even with a 10' pole. Especially if it's inexplicably cheaper than the competition...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:06:32 pm »
I've had a Barley Crusher for about 7 years, works great.
If you get a Barley Crusher get the 15 pound hopper.
It has (or at least used to, may still have) a life-time warranty.
Had to send it back a year ago to have the rollers refurbished.
Works better now than when it was new.
I've also heard good things about the Monster mills and the JSP mills.
I suspect you'll find that most people love the mills they have and use.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:28:50 pm »
+1 to the JSP.  I've had two other mills a Cereal Killer and a Captain Crush.  I actually sent two Captain Crushes back.  Neither one worked worth a hoot.  It could have been just an odd coincidence that I got two semi-functional ones in a row, but I was done trying.  The first one developed a screeching noise (after only 4-5 batches) that was so bad dogs in the neighborhood howled.  The second one would just spin the driven roller but never pull grain - no matter how I adjusted it.

The JSP works flawlessly.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:07 pm »
I have a cereal killer 2 roller and have had no issues with it. It is the first mill I have owned and I like that it is adjustable. My LHBS has a MM3 and I always got good crush from that as well, but had no control over gap settings. Having an adjustable mill allowed me to get what I wanted, and I really have not adjusted in the last almost 2 years. I seriously looked at the JSP after hearing so much good about it on here, but found a deal on the cereal killer for $99 shipped: tough to pass up as a first time mill buyer. Only wish would be for a bigger hopper, but whenever I get around to it, I can work something up for it. The 7 pound hopper is working great for the 3.5 gallon batches I have made so far this year down from years past when I always made 5-6 gallon batches
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:12:59 pm »

+3 for the JSP. Great mill.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »

+3 for the JSP. Great mill.

Something to be said for being around a while, huh?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 03:14:12 pm »
   Thanks, all interesting and useful contributions. I've spent more than a day on the infernalweb searching for mills but was unaware of the Cereal Killer & JSP until now, at the moment I'm leaning towards the adjustable JSP. As a former Tin Knocker, fabbing a larger hopper should be gravy. Any of the JSP owners opt for the gear drive or hardened rollers? I'm hoping this is the last mill I have to buy, and am an admitted tool junkie, so spending extra for truly useful stuff isn't a problem.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
I guess that makes me +4 for the JSP. Nothing but good luck with it.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
   Thanks, all interesting and useful contributions. I've spent more than a day on the infernalweb searching for mills but was unaware of the Cereal Killer & JSP until now, at the moment I'm leaning towards the adjustable JSP. As a former Tin Knocker, fabbing a larger hopper should be gravy. Any of the JSP owners opt for the gear drive or hardened rollers? I'm hoping this is the last mill I have to buy, and am an admitted tool junkie, so spending extra for truly useful stuff isn't a problem.

No gear drive or hardened rollers here.  No need for either IMO.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:39:25 pm »

No gear drive or hardened rollers here.  No need for either IMO.

Same here. Just the base model. I like it.
Jon H.

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:51 pm »
I guess that makes me +4 for the JSP. Nothing but good luck with it.

+5 Non adjustable JSP
Concord, NC