Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Still learning my yeast strain  (Read 3150 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Still learning my yeast strain
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:08 am »
As you know, I've been brewing my lagers with Wyeast 2352 since the PC release last October. I thought I knew it well, but I guess I'm still learning. For several batches I fermented at 50 till 50% then 68. Had pretty good results. But last time I started at 48F. That was the batch that after 4 days still had 0% ADF, so I pitched 1056 that I had on hand. We are drinking those now and they are amazingly lager-like. I don't detect any ale esters. Hmmm.

This past brew day I pitched propagated 2352 cultures at high krausen as normal, and again at 48F. Today is day 3 and I'm just starting to get activity. The German Helles Exportbier has dropped from 1.056 to 1.050... I think I found the issue. 48F is too cold for that strain. I knew that Wyeast says 52-62F but how often are their suggestions dead on? Seems to be the problem this time though.

Next time I will start at 52F and see if my hunch is correct.

Its crazy sometimes how just when you think you know something, you still have more to learn

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Still learning my yeast strain
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:53:30 am »
Interesting. I've been fermenting this yeast strain around 49-50F with no problems, but I may boost it to 51-52F or so on my next go-around.
I usually start my fermentations at 45-46F and let them rise to about 50F and the 2352 seems to be fine with doing that with about a 24 hour lag time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:55:19 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:00:39 am »
I have not brewed with this strain yet, but I have read elsewhere (homebrewtalk IIRC) about others saying it was sluggish below 50F and that 52F was preferred for a more classic lager ferment.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
It drops off sharply apparently. I normally have about 8-12 hr lag (first sign of visible activity) at 50F but at 48 its days. I'll try 52 next just for kicks but I've been happy with 50.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:11:36 am »
Its crazy sometimes how just when you think you know something, you still have more to learn

In the words of the immortal Jethro Gump, "The more I know about beer, the more I know I need to know more about beer."
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »

In the words of the immortal Jethro Gump, "The more I know about beer, the more I know I need to know more about beer."

Aint that the truth.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »
Jim find the Devil's Backbone presentation from 2014. They use the Augustine yeast, and ferment at 52F if IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:57:01 pm »
Jim find the Devil's Backbone presentation from 2014. They use the Augustine yeast, and ferment at 52F if IIRC.
Will do

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 06:42:55 pm »
I assume 2352 is believed to be Augusteiner. I'm going to try it at 52F next, but my gut feeling is that Augusteiner uses it at 50F. Maining because it seems more likely that they would do 10C rather than 11.11C lol

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »
Devil's Backbone brews a fantastic Vienna Lager. No foolin'.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:05:56 pm »
I assume 2352 is believed to be Augusteiner. I'm going to try it at 52F next, but my gut feeling is that Augusteiner uses it at 50F. Maining because it seems more likely that they would do 10C rather than 11.11C lol
Yeah, 2352 is the Augustiner as far as I can tell. BSI sells an Augustiner to commercial breweries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 06:46:46 am »

I could see that. But also keep in mind, if this is their "house" strain they have been using for hundreds of years it is has probably acclimated to fermenting at a lower temp than the reported lab produced strain will do effectively.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 07:25:47 am »

I could see that. But also keep in mind, if this is their "house" strain they have been using for hundreds of years it is has probably acclimated to fermenting at a lower temp than the reported lab produced strain will do effectively.
True, but I doubt Wyeast got their culture 100s of years ago
I've done really well with this yeast for multiple batches at 50F, I was just surprised to see how a two degree drop effected it so much. I almost have to try it at 52 now. If dropping 2f did that I wonder what adding 2f will do.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:29:13 am by klickitat jim »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »

Yeah, but that yeast goes to 11.  :D

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »

Yeah, but that yeast goes to 11.  :D

The Spinal Tap strain.  ;D
Jon H.