Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer dumb phase  (Read 3552 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Beer dumb phase
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:56:30 pm »
I've been noticing that my APAs and IPAs go through a dumb phase after they are on tap.  Just to head off questions, my routine is to ferment for a few days then ramp the temp up gradually and let that sit for a couple of days, dry hopping for 2 days then cold crashing, for a couple of days.  After which I keg and force carbonate for a week or so.  So all in all this process typically takes the better part of a month before I think about tapping the keg.

Then when I do taste it, it usually tastes acceptable but 'acceptable' isn't.  For example, I brewed a single hop IPA with Idaho 7 hops Feb. 15.  It was reasonably good, but I was underwhelmed.  As a consequence it has been languishing for some time.  Until this weekend.  Now I find it quite good.  As I said, this seems to be a well established pattern - at least with my beer.  So is it something I am doing or not doing, or is this typical?

It could be that my darker beers go through the same phase, but I intend to drink them later, so I haven't noticed it as much with them.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
Re: Beer dumb phase
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:43:35 am »
I have noticed this with my beers as well.  Most often then not, after 2-3 week of being on tap (my fermentation/carbonation schedule is similar to yours), they change...usually for the better.

I am not sure what it is exactly that changes or why it changes, but it does.
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

On Tap: Pale ale, RIS, Wee Heavy, Belgian Tripel

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:17:50 am »
I think 2-3 weeks in the keg is just normal conditioning time. Gravity is pulling out unwanted particles and yeast. Chemical reactions are dealing with some off flavors.

My beers are generally good after a week in the keg, but peak after 1-2 more weeks. Usually the changes  in this timeframe are subtle but for the better.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:54 am »
I think 2-3 weeks in the keg is just normal conditioning time. Gravity is pulling out unwanted particles and yeast. Chemical reactions are dealing with some off flavors.

My beers are generally good after a week in the keg, but peak after 1-2 more weeks. Usually the changes  in this timeframe are subtle but for the better.

+1.  A couple weeks of cold conditioning improves my beers quite a bit. Even when they look fairly clear going into the keg, some yeast and other sediment always drop out.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:50 am »

+1.  A couple weeks of cold conditioning improves my beers quite a bit. Even when they look fairly clear going into the keg, some yeast and other sediment always drop out.
Agreed. Usually I keg and put it in a controlled chest in the shop to carbonate. Even if it sits there a month, the action of moving it to the kegerator in the house kicks up some dust and its usually not at its best for a couple more days.

But... if you are going to share it, show it off, enter it... this is not a problem because you just enjoy it as is until it hits that peak, then bottle what you need. I see it as a benefit of kegging, where you are more "locked in" with bottle conditioning

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:44 am »
I'm new to kegging but have found that when I get to the last beer its just right. :'(
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:51:04 am »
This isn't too dissimilar to bottle conditioning. I've learned not to even waste a 12oz bottle to check at 1-2 weeks. The carbonation is usually good but the beer is typically helped by a bit more time. Three weeks seems to be the starting point of good carbonation plus the beer tasting significantly better. 3-6 weeks at room temperature in the bottle is the peak period for most normal/low gravity ales, depending on style of course. If any remain at room temp after 6 weeks, I stuff as many as possible into the beer fridge and squirrel one or two in the back of the closet to see what happens to it long term.

I've also noticed that the longer the bottles sit in the fridge, the better they are. I can never seem to keep them in the fridge very long though.  ;)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:52:02 am »
I'm new to kegging but have found that when I get to the last beer its just right. :'(

That's typically been the case for me as well. However, the two beers that I've fined with gelatin weren't that way. They got to their "peak" a little earlier IMO, about a week before the keg kicked instead of a day.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
I wonder if lagering the beer for a few days after cold crashing would skip this phase by getting a cleaner beer into the keg.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
I include a few weeks of cold conditioning into the timing of almost every beer I make.
got some Zombie Dust on 4/21, bottled the previous day.  Mediocre.  Now, after a few weeks in the fridge?  Noticeably better.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 09:33:04 am »
I wonder if lagering the beer for a few days after cold crashing would skip this phase by getting a cleaner beer into the keg.

I've observed this pretty clearly when fermenting "extra" wort in my 1G glass jug. There's a significant difference between what I would normallyconsider "clear beer" 24 hours after cold crashing versus leaving it cold for 3 more days. I'm always hesitant to do this in my primary fermentor due to oxidation concerns, but I'd be interested in hearing what others have experienced.

As for conditioning, I agree with what Jim and others said above. I like drinking the keg down to that "sweet spot" and then bottling any that I want to archive, enter, etc.

I have noticed that my 2.5G kegs don't take quite as long to condition as their 5G brethren (with the same beer). I'm still torn on whether I would attribute this to a sheer volume issue, or if it's just the simple fact that my 5G keg is twice as tall as my 2.5G. I lean more towards the height just due to my experience with settling samples in hydrometer jars versus short, fat glasses. A sample in the short, fat glass always settles out much faster than in a tall, skinny hydrometer jar.

I find that I can accelerate the conditioning process with gelatin, but that only seems to contribute "some" of the flavor differences I expect. Others you just have to wait for....

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:58:11 am »

Agreed. Usually I keg and put it in a controlled chest in the shop to carbonate. Even if it sits there a month, the action of moving it to the kegerator in the house kicks up some dust and its usually not at its best for a couple more days.
This is why, ideally, I'd have twice as much or more spaces for kegs than taps in my kegerator.

I think once the beer clears coming out of the tap, it's starting to taste how it should. You can have a beer be clear going into the keg (if you cold crash, etc), but it won't be clear in a week if you tap it. Some haze will form, some of the yeast will drop out, muddying up the clarity and flavor. Once it clears, that's when it's good. Usually that's in the 3-4 week range for me.

Quote from: Phil_M
That's typically been the case for me as well. However, the two beers that I've fined with gelatin weren't that way. They got to their "peak" a little earlier IMO, about a week before the keg kicked instead of a day.
I've noticed this too. They taste thin at the end of the keg. I've stopped using gelatin (yet again) and am just going to let time being cold do its thing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:00:43 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:25 am »

Quote from: Phil_M
I've noticed this too. They taste thin at the end of the keg. I've stopped using gelatin (yet again) and am just going to let time being cold do its thing.
[/quote]

I was going to mention this observation. Usually the very last beer (or two) of the keg, while good, has seemed to thin out a bit in body.  I was wondering if this was due to the extended "lagering" phase this portion received or what?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 11:13:41 am »
Interesting topic. I have noticed the same thing as the OP especially with my APAs for some reason. Everyone always says to drink hoppy beers fresh however mine seem to be better after a few weeks. I use very simple grain bills however it always seems to take weeks for the hop and malt profile to come together. The aroma does dissipate a bit but overall the beer is better. I don't seem to notice this phenomenon with the other typical ale styles that I brew other than maybe kolsch.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:37 am »
It's as simple as differing tastes and differing beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell