Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 hop growning season  (Read 11331 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
2016 hop growning season
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:47 pm »
Well, my cascades are starting to sprout.  And it's just mid-February.  Pretty shocked. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2016 hop growning season
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:27 am »
And now Chinook is sprouting. 

Nothing on the Fuggles or Centennial. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
How much of your hop usage for the 1bbl brewhouse(I think) are home grown?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »
Oughta go see what's left of mine.  I tore them out last year, but I suspect it'll be a while before they're really gone.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:31:49 pm »
Still too cold in Indiana for anything to sprout for me. I am looking forward to building a trelis for them to climb on vs. the chain link fence I tried training them on. I got a whole dried ounce of Cacade and nothing from my Centennial last year.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:17 am »

Zero.  We have them in half barrels in front of the brewery for landscaping only.  Every other year we have to dump the barrels, cut the crown up, and replant a few rhizomes.  I give the rest to local homebrewers and such. 

Although we are considering a fresh hop beer in the fall for (big surprise) the Fresh Hop festival in Yakima.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:52:42 am »
Still too cold in Indiana for anything to sprout for me. I am looking forward to building a trelis for them to climb on vs. the chain link fence I tried training them on. I got a whole dried ounce of Cacade and nothing from my Centennial last year.

Several years ago at a different place, I grew them on chain link fence.  It worked great, except fall clean-up was a PITA.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:58:45 am by micsager »

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:54:38 am »

Zero.  We have them in half barrels in front of the brewery for landscaping only.  Every other year we have to dump the barrels, cut the crown up, and replant a few rhizomes.  I give the rest to local homebrewers and such. 

Although we are considering a fresh hop beer in the fall for (big surprise) the Fresh Hop festival in Yakima.
thanks, the fresh hop craze is pretty big out there, good brewing
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:45 am »
.... and the fuggles are up.  Good deal, all four.  I was worried maybe we cut that crown up a bit to much last fall. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:47 am »
Oughta go see what's left of mine.  I tore them out last year, but I suspect it'll be a while before they're really gone.
I have a blackberry plant like this. It's been 2 years and I still pull out shoots every few days all summer long.

Even though I know it's going to hurt my yield, I have my hops in containers for just this reason.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:00:47 am »
Mine are starting to sprout. I plan on repotting all my hops this year, figure after two years in pots they could stand to have the crowns broken up and start fresh.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:22 am »
Mine are starting to sprout. I plan on repotting all my hops this year, figure after two years in pots they could stand to have the crowns broken up and start fresh.

Yep, I do that every other year.  A PITA sometimes, but the half barrels keep them contained. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »
I hate this time of year.  I've got all four hop hills (half whiskey barrels) with lots of little 6-8 inch sprouts.  Tonight, they all get cut down.  It'll be a few weeks before they re-emerge.  Maybe I'll pickle them like HopsDirect does. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »
I hate this time of year.  I've got all four hop hills (half whiskey barrels) with lots of little 6-8 inch sprouts.  Tonight, they all get cut down.  It'll be a few weeks before they re-emerge.  Maybe I'll pickle them like HopsDirect does.
This year I'm keeping mine hacked down till mid June, then let them do their thing. Mine are only for decoration, conversation peice while sharing beer on the deck and BBQing. So I might not even trellis them this time, or just short trellis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:06:08 am »
Hops are already getting some height on them. Cascade and Mt. Hood started peaking out late February and they are both already close to six feet tall. Nugget is out and about two feet tall. Sterling slow to appear and about a foot tall now.

We're getting some rain this weekend so I'll probably see several more feet over the next week.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing