Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wort makeup and attenuation  (Read 5934 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: wort makeup and attenuation
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 08:04:20 am »
If you repitched  a dry yeast from a previous fermentation (slurry) with poor aeration, then that could definitely be your issue. While dry yeast reportedly does not need oxygen in its initial use, subsequent generations will most definitely be oxygen deprived and in great need of proper aeration to fully attenuate your next batch of wort.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:42 am »
There seems to be something wrong with my process (aeration) when repitching dry yeast slurry. I don't do it very often but I seem to have more issues when I do. For me, the savings in money doesn't appear to be worth the headache.

+1 to this.  For the low cost of most dry ale yeast, I pretty much use a new rehydrated pack each time.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 08:11:43 am »
I am glad to find the cause. Until I change my aeration process, I know to just direct pitch straight from the sachets.

I kegged the beer a couple of days ago. The final reading was 1.015 so not horrible by any means. This was my 4th lager. The 3 before it went better than planned and this was my first hiccup.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 08:14:44 am »
You really need to be getting these lagers to 2.5p and below. 3.8p is syrup sweet.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 08:16:33 am »
You really need to be getting these lagers to 2.5p and below. 3.8p is syrup sweet.

I am good with it. Tastes fine to me.

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 08:21:15 am »
 :o Ok.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 08:23:28 am »

Sorry. I am one of those lager novice's that drive you crazy. This isn't a German lager and the FG fits within the style guidelines for what I was going for. It is not ideal but I am good with it  :o

Are you willing to give me some helpful advice on how to get my lager down below 3.8p or provide input on the possible problem?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:25:02 am by goschman »

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 08:27:47 am »

Sorry. I am one of those lager novice's that drive you crazy. This isn't a German lager and the FG fits within the style guidelines for what I was going for. It is not ideal but I am good with it  :o

Are you willing to give me some helpful advice on how to get my lager down below 3.8p or provide input on the possible problem?

Without FFT's you don't know what kind of wort your are making. So FFT's, along with plenty of healthy oxygenated yeast. That should get you on the map.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:32:52 am by The Beerery »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 08:33:46 am »

Without FFT's you don't know what kind of wort your are making. So FFT's, along with plenty of healthy oxygenated yeast. That should get you on the map.

Great thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:43 am »
If you repitched  a dry yeast from a previous fermentation (slurry) with poor aeration, then that could definitely be your issue. While dry yeast reportedly does not need oxygen in its initial use, subsequent generations will most definitely be oxygen deprived and in great need of proper aeration to fully attenuate your next batch of wort.

Hmmmm...if oxygen is used to synthesize sterols needed for yeast reproduction, but you already have a heavy population of yeast cells, do you really need aeration?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 09:36:52 am »

Why would a slurry from an initial pitch of dry yeast be any different from a slurry from a Wyeast pitch?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 10:40:56 am »

Hmmmm...if oxygen is used to synthesize sterols needed for yeast reproduction, but you already have a heavy population of yeast cells, do you really need aeration?

If you believe in the gospel according to S. Cerevisiae: (i) yeast cells harvested at the end of fermentation have reached quiescence and have low ergosterol and UFA reserves, (ii) ergosterol and UFA reserves help keep cell walls pliable, (iii) low pliability negatively affects the ability of yeast to attenuate extract as it makes it more difficult for nutrients and waste to pass in and out of cells, (iv) since yeast use O2 to synthesize ergosterol and UFA, cells with low ergosterol and UFA reserves have higher O2 demands and benefit from proper aeration/oxygenation.

Not my own knowledge, just paraphrasing...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46:52 am »

Why would a slurry from an initial pitch of dry yeast be any different from a slurry from a Wyeast pitch?

I don't believe it is.  Both are oxygen deprived and in need of a good healthy dose of aeration.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 10:52:38 am »

I don't believe it is.  Both are oxygen deprived and in need of a good healthy dose of aeration.

OK.  Agreed.  I seemed odd to me that a number of posts kept referencing dry yeast.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:02 am »

OK.  Agreed.  I seemed odd to me that a number of posts kept referencing dry yeast.

I thought the OP stated that he had re-pitched a slurry from a dry yeast packet so I was just referencing that.