Do you have an AHA membership?

Yes
748 (86.8%)
No
83 (9.6%)
No Pants
31 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 848

Author Topic: AHA Membership  (Read 172040 times)

Offline halenrush

• Cellarman
  • Humboldt County, CA
Re: AHA Membership
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 11:37:34 am »
Thats funny, I kinda thought you had to be a member to be on this forum.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 11:42:29 am »
We will be adding some Members only areas in the future.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:41 am »
We will be adding some Members only areas in the future.

Fred

So do we get the jackets too then?  :D  ( Members Only )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 06:43:54 pm »
I'll see what can be worked out ;)
Fred Bonjour

boulderbrewer

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »
Jackets would be so so coooool!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
Fred Bonjour

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »
I see a lot of love going on in the thread and perhaps rightly so.

From where I sit on a day to day basis I just don't see much for my membership dollar and never have. In effect you MUST be a member in order to attend the conference (which is something worth it, but fodder for another topic). If you select the non-member rate you will automatically pay for the membership and become a member.

So what does one really get for the $? 6 magazines a year and PERHAPS some pub discounts. And let's not forget a lesser cost for entry into the AHA NHC. I guess now this forum could be considered a benefit. (FWIW - I am a member and have been for awhile.)

Let's explore those pub discounts further. In NC there are a grand total of 3 to be had. One in Asheville and two in the Charlotte area. In truth one in the Charlotte area does not apply. It is "Happy Hour Prices on Food - Anytime (where allowed)" and NC does not have a Happy Hour so no discounts there. Now we are back to TWO total places in the state and only if you can get your server to recognize they participate.

The AHA should have long ago started working on legalization of homebrewing and repealing archaic ABV limits which restrict the creativity of homebrewers. I'm sure I could be mistaken, but those efforts only seem to have begun in earnest in the last few years. I do applaud the current efforts being made and hope legalization is realized in all 50 states.

So maybe someone can spell it out for me the benefits the average AHA member would enjoy who is not entering the NHC nor attending the Conference?
[Fred - no fair pointing to the membership-benefits page. Denny - yes, I am stirring up trouble ;) ]

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:46 pm »
I guess now this forum could be considered a benefit.

FYI there is no AHA membership needed to be a member of this forum.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2009, 12:27:45 pm »
I actually knew that and was being facetious, well, was trying to be at least...  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »
Actually, this forum is a benefit because part of the dues AHA members pay go to support this forum.  So, while all homebrewers are more than welcome here, it's the paying members who are footing the bill for those who are not.

Mike, what you get personally from the AHA is one way to look at it, of course.  But to me, equally if not more important, is what can I help the AHA do for other homebrewers.  For me, that's more important than either Zymurgy or the pub discounts.  And while you can certainly cite things the AHA should/could have done in the past (I think we could all do that in our own lives!), isn't the important thing what the AHA is doing now?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »
I love to help people, and I really love to help people with their beer.  I am an AHA member, among several other organizations, and donate my time and effort to help other brewers.

Your note was very well stated Denny.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 01:33:18 pm »
Maybe I'm just thick, but I'm still not ready to drink the Kool-aid at the love in.  Forum hosting can be completely free or almost free, so I'm not seeing huge costs there which would deplete the Association coffers.

I can feel the Denny vibe of "Ask not what your country can do for you" ... but before a person becomes a member of the AHA a legitimate question is what will the organization do for me. Doncha think?

- -

As far as what I do for the AHA, I've was Judge Director for the South Region of the 2008 AHA NHC First Round, and that was a gracious plenty. If I never see another shipping box it may be too soon!
;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 01:37:39 pm »
Maybe I'm just thick, but I'm still not ready to drink the Kool-aid at the love in.  Forum hosting can be completely free or almost free, so I'm not seeing huge costs there which would deplete the Association coffers.

I guarantee you that the forum and new website came at a price....

I can feel the Denny vibe of "Ask not what your country can do for you" ... but before a person becomes a member of the AHA a legitimate question is what will the organization do for me. Doncha think?

Maybe...but for me, what I get is no more I consideration than what I give.  Sorry, dude, we just have different attitudes.

- -

As far as what I do for the AHA, I've was Judge Director for the South Region of the 2008 AHA NHC First Round, and that was a gracious plenty. If I never see another shipping box it may be too soon!
;)

I know that what you've done is not inconsiderable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 04:43:19 pm »
You also get discounts for brewing ingredients.  ;)

Also, if you want your local brew pub to offer AHA specials perhaps you could ask them for it? You appear to be a well spoken person, perhaps you could use your powers of persuasion to work with your group and achieve your goals. That kind of activism and selfless behavior would certainly get you a free membership, and the gratitude of your fellow brewers. Empowerment could solve alot of your problems, and maybe get you a 2 for 1 special on Wednesdays down at the Slap N' Pickle brewery.

So while I do agree that the AHA could have done more to work on various issues, I also think that getting members actively involved in naming, and then addressing those concerns would move the process along. Take it by the reigns, even part time activism can yield major results. BTW I have only been a member a year, and plan on joining the ambassador program because of the same concerns you voiced.  ;D
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 09:03:45 pm »
Just joined up again.  I was a member before but let it lapse when I stopped brewing for awhile.
Clint
Wort Hogs