Do you have an AHA membership?

Yes
748 (86.8%)
No
83 (9.6%)
No Pants
31 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 848

Author Topic: AHA Membership  (Read 172030 times)

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
Re: AHA Membership
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:23 am »
I joined about a month ago and have not received my membership card yet. Is that strange?

In other news just bottled my first beer and it tastes great! Can't wait to start another batch, but haven't decided what to do yet. Plus can you buy non AHA members tickets to GABF  at the pre-sale?

I'm happy to be supporting AHA and look forward to the rallies, benefits, and more brewing.

I didn't get mine and joined about the same time. I emailed them and found out that there was a problem with their 3rd party printer and that they mailed them out about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago. So if you don't get it soon. I'd shoot them an email just asking. (Still haven't gotten mine).

Offline jmkristin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »
Thanks everyone for you responses. I think I'm just anxious to get it, lol.

Happy Brewing!

Offline ohiotim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
I am a member and have been for three years (need to renew soon actually). There aren't any establishments near me that participate in the pub discount program, so other than Zymurgy (which is great) I don't see any tangible benefits, but that won't stop me from renewing.

To me it's about what the AHA does for the homebrewing community. I attended the AHA member meeting for the first time this year at NHC, and it was great hearing from Gary, Crispy and the GC about what they are working on and what we can expect in the next year.

I look at it more like a donation to a charity - I don't get a lot out of it personally, but I know they do good things. And it's not very expensive (to me anyway).

-Tim
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »
I voted some time ago when I wasn't a member. I joined  over three months ago. Don't I get a card or something?  Not that that would do me any good here in Beerhell but it is possible I'd venture out to some pub that accepts one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:24:47 pm by Malticulous »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:06 am »
Yeah, you do get a card.  It seems like it should already be there.  If it doesn't show up shortly, contact Kathryn Porter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
It's been a long time with three emails to Kate and still I have no card. A sub forum for only AHA communication would be nice. Her frigging email is @brewersassociation.org even, what the hell happened to the AHA anyway?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »
The AHA is part of the Brewer's Association. Both the AHA and the professional group fall under the Brewer's Association umbrella. (Kinda like in the old days when it was the AHA and the AoB)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:59 pm »
I just requested enough details via PM for Kate to look into this
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:54 pm »
The AHA is part of the Brewer's Association. Both the AHA and the professional group fall under the Brewer's Association umbrella. (Kinda like in the old days when it was the AHA and the AoB)

The pros need to take care of them selves, I do what I can with what I have. I am a homebrewer. I'm getting the impression my dues may go to their agenda.

I'm not a pro but I do better than the most of them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:50:36 pm by Malticulous »

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »
The AHA budget is reviewed at the members meeting at the NHC each year.
Your dues really do support homebrewing issues
Fred Bonjour

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »
The pros need to take care of them selves, I do what I can with what I have. I am a homebrewer. I'm getting the impression my dues may go to their agenda.

I'm not a pro but I do better than the most of them.

The AHA does a lot for homebrewing on a national basis including, but not limited to, legislative lobbying to make sure it becomes and remains legal in all 50 states (and territories, I suppose, but there are apparently weird legal issues with the weird legal status of territories).

Incidentally, the interests of home and professional brewers are probably aligned more than you or I would think.

That said, if the AHA could do something to get rid of the archaic distributorship laws that'd be something...

But that's distributors interests, not brewers.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2010, 08:01:03 pm »
I'm getting the impression my dues may go to their agenda.

According to the budget we review every year, the pros ship some of their dues over to the homebrewers.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:57 am »
It's been a long time with three emails to Kate and still I have no card. A sub forum for only AHA communication would be nice. Her frigging email is @brewersassociation.org even, what the hell happened to the AHA anyway?
Kate has gotten back to me and is looking into this.
Fred Bonjour

Offline KathrynPorterDrapeau

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
Malticulous says >>>It's been a long time with three emails to Kate and still I have no card. A sub forum for only AHA communication would be nice. Her frigging email is @brewersassociation.org even, what the hell happened to the AHA anyway?<<<

I’m very sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble receiving your AHA Member Card. I’ve spoken with Kate Kingsbery, AHA Member Services Team Lead, who’s been helping you resolve your missing AHA Member Card issue. She has verified that your AHA Member Card was sent from our printer three times to the address you confirmed as correct.

It’s disappointing for all of us to hear that the card hasn’t been delivered to your home after three attempts. Unfortunately, once the card leaves the printer we’re at the mercy of USPS to make the transaction complete.

Kate is going to print out one of the older style AHA Member cards to send to you directly from the BA office. Many of our members still carry these, so you shouldn’t have any troubles using it for Pub Discounts. Hopefully that one will find you!

To give you a brief history of the American Homebrewers Association, the AHA was created in 1978. The AHA then formed the Association of Brewers (AOB) in 1983 and at that point became a division of the AOB.  In 2005, the AOB merged with the Brewers Association of America to form the Brewers Association (BA). The AHA is still a division of the BA, just like the Professional, Events and Brewers Publications divisions. We all use @BrewersAssociation.org email addresses to represent the whole company that we are.

AHA members can contact the AHA regarding membership issues at any time by emailing info@brewersassociation.org or calling 888.822.6273 x 0.  Our member services team will be more than happy to help you.

Happy Brewing,
Kathryn Porter Drapeau
Kathryn Porter Drapeau

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »
Thanks,

Fred Bonjour