Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phenolic Feedback  (Read 11445 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Phenolic Feedback
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:56:02 am »
Hi strangers! It's been a busy time around the house with the newborn and no homebrewing consequently. I did get some scores back from a recent competition where I scored a 25  :o and a 37 (IPA that made it to the second round).

The Pale Ale that got terrible marks had numerous remarks around a phenolic off flavor (smoky/plastic). Two score sheets said the same thing (although I've been told judges score together so perhaps they influence each other).

While I'm not the best taster, I don't get this flavor at all. What is usually the main culprit for this off-flavor? I don't think my equipment or sanitation would be to blame as I've used the same stuff for other entries. Regarding my water (I saw notes about checking for chlorine), I only use RO/ Distilled and a mixture of filtered tap.

Yeast- WLP001 w/ starter
Mashed at 153, normally my sparge water is around 185 or so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:59:05 am by flbrewer »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Phenolic Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:44 am »
What type of water are you brewing with?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:59:29 am »
Just added that ^

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:00:54 am »
Are you treating your tap water for chloramine/chlorine?  Does your filter eliminate that totally?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:02:52 am »
Carbon filtering can remove chloramine, but it has to be run very slow.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:03:18 am »
Are you treating your tap water for chloramine/chlorine?  Does your filter eliminate that totally?

You know I want to say it does, although for this purpose I bypass the water softener and run it through a Brita filter. Maybe it doesn't. I may just stick with R/O for now or donate another $30 to Ward Labs!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:04:35 am »
I would go with just 100% RO water.  That way you know you have eliminated all potential sources of issues. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:05:08 am »
I can't be certain, but I believe I used the same water setup for my IPA that scored a 37. Maybe the hops (Zombie Dust clone) dominated that one so they didn't pick anything up? The low scorer was a SN Pale Ale clone.

Offline tommymorris

Phenolic Feedback
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:27:12 am »
Maybe you should send the same beer to a second contest. See if different judges detect the same taste issue before you fix a phantom that you can't taste.

Also, could you have a packaging problem? Beer can change between bottling day and contest day.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:34:40 am »
Maybe you should send the same beer to a second contest. See if different judges detect the same taste issue before you fix a phantom that you can't taste.

Also, could you have a packaging problem? Beer can change between bottling day and contest day.

Perhaps...I packaged the same as the other beer. It was a mess though, I was jury rigging some silicone tubing onto my Perlick taps and it kept shooting the tubing off. I need a better system at some point!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League

Offline tommymorris

Phenolic Feedback
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:51:39 am »

Perhaps...I packaged the same as the other beer. It was a mess though, I was jury rigging some silicone tubing onto my Perlick taps and it kept shooting the tubing off. I need a better system at some point!
I have bottled beer and kept it in my fridge for weeks and months with no problems. Then on a few occasions I have shipped beer to contests and had reports of geysers, gray beer, and other likely packaging issues.

I think when the bottles warm up in shipping and or storage at the contest site the bugs in the bottle wake up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:07:00 am by alestateyall »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:57 am »
I would go with just 100% RO water.  That way you know you have eliminated all potential sources of issues. 

+1.  That'll rule out the filtered tap water. I'd bet that's the culprit.
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 09:38:37 am »
Bottle one from the tap and leave it at room temp for a few weeks, then open and taste it.  That'll tell you if you need to clean your lines.  I've had some issues with that in the past for comps.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:04 am »
Up until about 6 mos ago I used to use my tap water and treat it with campden tablets (or potassium metabisulfate powder) to eliminate chloramines in my municipal water supply.  Even with doing that I would still occasionally pick up some plasticy aroma/tastes that even some experienced judges detected in competitions.  Since then I have been using straight RO water with no issues whatsoever.