Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Out of ideas  (Read 5737 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Out of ideas
« on: July 07, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »
I have a keg of some of the best wheat beer I have ever tried, let alone brewed. When I first tapped it, it poured perfectly. Then I started getting nothing but foam. It is only a quarter of the way low. The first thing I did was disconnect the hoses and hook them to another keg. It worked fine so I know it isn't the hoses. Next I depressurized the keg and removed the dip tube to see if it was abstructed I cleaned the ball lock before putting it back together. Next I did the same with the inlet. Everything is fine. I tried it again, nothing but foam. What am I missing?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Out of ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
Maybe over carbonated?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:31:22 pm »
I was gonna guess a clogged beer out poppet. I assume you checked that when you pulled the dip tube?
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »
It isn't overcarbonated. I released all pressure, waited 8 hours, released it again, for 2 days after putting the keg back together. I did that until there was no pressure in the keg when I pulled on the relief valve. I have to assume the beer at that point was flat. As soon as I hooked the lines up I got foam again.

And yes when I had it apart I disassembled the locks, cleaned and sanitized the poppets and springs.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »
Not sure what kind of kegs you have, but a couple of mine you have to position the out tube into a dimple in the bottom of the keg, it can turn out of position when you tighten the post and plaster itself against the bottom of the keg, restricting the flow.  It did till I cut those ones off.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »
Not sure what kind of kegs you have, but a couple of mine you have to position the out tube into a dimple in the bottom of the keg, it can turn out of position when you tighten the post and plaster itself against the bottom of the keg, restricting the flow.  It did till I cut those ones off.

+1
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:07 pm »
I was wondering about that. This is a brand new keg I have never used before. It is one of the ones Farmhouse Brew Supply is selling for $75. It would be really hard to position it while it has beer in it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:05:27 pm »
Did you check the faucet, perhaps something got lodged?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »
I was wondering about that. This is a brand new keg I have never used before. It is one of the ones Farmhouse Brew Supply is selling for $75. It would be really hard to position it while it has beer in it.

I ran into this a time or two. Take off the out post and rotate the dip tube 90 degrees, replace post, then try to pour. If no help, remove the post and rotate the tube a little more, and repeat. Hopefully it'll get the beer flowing smoothly !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:24:13 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:55 am »
If you decide the dip tube is the issue, don't cut it, just bend it a tad so it sits off the bottom. I've cut a couple and it was pointless and wish I hadn't.
Jesse

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »
I think I have this figured out. The "in" disconnect does not click on like it should. I am ordering a new "in" post at midwest supplies for each of the new kegs I bought. It does not click on properly to the other keg that I hadn't taken out of the box yet either. If you order one of the $75 kegs from farmhousebrewingsupply.com you should go ahead and order new posts from either Northernbrewer or midwestsupplies at the same time.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:34:05 pm »
I think I have this figured out. The "in" disconnect does not click on like it should. I am ordering a new "in" post at midwest supplies for each of the new kegs I bought. It does not click on properly to the other keg that I hadn't taken out of the box yet either. If you order one of the $75 kegs from farmhousebrewingsupply.com you should go ahead and order new posts from either Northernbrewer or midwestsupplies at the same time.

Did they put "out" posts on accidentally?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Out of ideas
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 08:05:18 pm »

Yes the dip tube in the dimple thing.  I forgot until reading this but that happens to me once.  Fixed the problem.  But sounds like you probably solved it with the post issue.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 08:26:36 pm »

Did they put "out" posts on accidentally?

If that happened it would be almost impossible to get the quick disconnect off. It is the "out" post they don't click onto properly I didn't get that right in my post. New posts were $11.99 each then another $11 for shipping. So the $75 kegs with $10 each shipping weren't the deal they appeared to be.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 08:55:48 pm »
Email farmhouse. I have never dealt with them, but I hear they are a pretty stand-up company.