Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 NHC Impressions  (Read 10548 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
2015 NHC Impressions
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
I just want to say what an awesome time I had at the NHC.  I can’t believe I was thinking about not going.

A lot of people must have worked very hard to make it happen, and they did a fantastic job. 

It was inspiring to try so many great homebrews, and it was a sincere pleasure to meet all of you (especially, but in no way limited to, the crew I was out with Friday afternoon).

To me, this weekend reinforced everything that is positive about homebrewing.  I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did and that I’ll see you all next year and beyond.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2015 NHC Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
Glad ya made it to the party!  Great to meet you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:40:20 pm »
It was a very good conf, my 10th, you know understand why some keep going to it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »
Couldn't be helped this year, but I'm reminded that I said previously I'd never fly out early morning the day after conference. I am on waaaay to little sleep to put up with hours of airport delays! Just stay an extra day!  8)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:52:10 pm »
I was there in spirit. I kept a watchful eye on the forums. Next year is east coast and I will have to make it.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:06:02 pm »
I am stuck in Denver. My flight was late leaving SD. I missed my connecting flight.  Other than that minor hiccup, NHC 2015 was a blast.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 06:41:02 pm »
Mark - it was very nice meeting you. And thanks for passing along your yeast knowledge. Seriously - write a book someday. I will buy it!

I got such a kick out of meeting everyone. Except for Marshall, Denny and Drew - nobody looked like I expected! Hopefully - the beginning of some long standing friendships.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 07:12:29 pm »
Very nice meeting y'all!
It may take a couple days to recover.
Some impressions:
1) seminars seemed generally less scientific and more basic this year.  Did anyone else feel this way?
2) Need to make sure there's enough light the next time the Reception and Club Night are outside.
3) I love San Diego and even though it is pretty old, I love the Town and Country, too.
4) The conference app was great.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:01 pm »
Very nice meeting y'all!
Some impressions:
1) seminars seemed generally less scientific and more basic this year.  Did anyone else feel this way?
2) Need to make sure there's enough light the next time the Reception and Club Night are outside.
3) I love San Diego and even though it is pretty old, I love the Town and Country, too.

1 yes
2 yes, or placed so that they don't shine in your eyes when reading the beer lists.
3 yes, worked better with the whole hotel dedicated to the NHC.
4 The App, the App, the App! I didn't use the program.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 11:26:28 pm »
Mark - it was very nice meeting you. And thanks for passing along your yeast knowledge. Seriously - write a book someday. I will buy it!

I got such a kick out of meeting everyone. Except for Marshall, Denny and Drew - nobody looked like I expected! Hopefully - the beginning of some long standing friendships.
So you're saying the rest were handsome athletic and well behaved?

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:09:36 am »
Handsome... Maybe with the beer goggles. I'll defer to the lovely AmandaK. Athletic... If drinking were a sport or hauling around my beer belly or 30#s of books to get signed. Well behaved... I plead the fifth.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:23:02 am »
Couldn't be helped this year, but I'm reminded that I said previously I'd never fly out early morning the day after conference. I am on waaaay to little sleep to put up with hours of airport delays! Just stay an extra day!  8)

Yeah, I did that last year (5:55am Sunday flight) and swore I'd never do that again.

Very nice meeting y'all!
Some impressions:

1) Depended.  I would definitely like to see some more visual seminars (like a yeast management seminar with actual pictures or video of the process).  The only one I really disliked was Ray Daniels Hands-on Activities seminar.  He spent almost half the seminar on introductory talk when I was expecting either actual activities or at least some ideas for activities.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:31:54 am »

It was nice meeting you and everyone from the forum. 

As much as I would like to have at least one major publication to my name before I join the land of the permanently horizontal, I fear that I may be too introverted for the kind of attention that an author has to endure.  Plus, how does one top "Yeast?"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:38 am »
  Plus, how does one top "Yeast?"

Well that is easy.  Write one that is a fraction of the size.  Just focus on quick how's and whys. 

The Yeast book is intimidating and has way too much peripheral info for the guy who just wants to make good beer.  I'll bet a book like that would outsell Yeast. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 10:16:32 am »
I'll chime in on my impressions of NHC too.

1. My biggest impression was how well organized it was.  That takes a lot of thinking and work.
2. San Diego was a great place for it.
3. As mentioned above, having essentially the whole place was great.
4. The best part of the motel was all the flowers, plants, etc.,
5. The worst part of the motel was maintenance.  My wife and I seriously discussed moving to another motel.  The bed was total crap.
6. I too thought the seminars were too basic.  Some I learned nothing, most I learned one to two factoids
7. This was my first NHC.  Everything was very clear as to what was going on except for the final night Social Club.  That sounded awful to me.  I almost didn't go.  If I had known that they would be serving the competition beers I would have taken it easier at dinner (which by the ways was surprisingly excellent).  I ended up quite plowed because the beers served at the Social Club were freakin awesome!  Seriously the best beer of the week.

In sum, if future NHCs are in driving distance I'll definitely go, but maybe not otherwise.  It was very nice meeting forum members though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton