Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New recipe  (Read 3539 times)

Offline billmiller324

• 1st Kit
New recipe
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »
I'm trying a recipe I had put together for me at my local brew store I want to know from experienced brewers whether you think it will taste good its an extract batch steep the folowing english red wheat 4oz, torrified wheat 4oz, flaked red wheat 8oz, rye 8oz, cara red 2oz...... malt is as follows...  6.6 lbs wheat LME, 1 lbs wheat DME... uk challenger hops 1oz at 60min, uk challenger hops 1oz at 10min   so let me know what you think thanks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:44 pm »
You want a reddish hue to your beer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline billmiller324

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »
Yes I am also going for a spice character to stand to the malt and a slite banana from the yeast I'm using white labs hefeweizen ale yeast wlp300

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:34 am »
all that flaked grain with no diastatic malt is going to lend a lot of unconverted starches and not much else. I'd add a lb of pale malt and do a teeny tiny minimash.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline billmiller324

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:49 am »
Ok thanks

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:05:22 pm »
all that flaked grain with no diastatic malt is going to lend a lot of unconverted starches and not much else. I'd add a lb of pale malt and do a teeny tiny minimash.
If you don't do the minimash, what happens to the unconverted starches?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »

They make your beer thick and cloudy and provide a food source for possible contamination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
It will transfer over to the boil and become "fixed" which could lead to haze in the finished beer or even allow some extra food for unwanted microorganisms to spoil the beer (pretty unlikely if your sanitation regiment is up to snuff - but still some chance). 

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:39 pm »

They make your beer thick and cloudy and provide a food source for possible contamination.
Guess I'd better learn how to do a minimash since I want to do something similar to what Billmiller is doing.  Very different beer/recipe but same idea.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:34 pm »
Guess I'd better learn how to do a minimash since I want to do something similar to what Billmiller is doing.  Very different beer/recipe but same idea.
Simple. Sub some of the extract for 2-row and hold at ~150-152 for an hour

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:42 pm »
How much water?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:38 am »

How much water?
2 qts per pound of grain. Use a large grain bag, pull it, put in a strainer over kettle, pour some of the remaining hot water over the grains to get the sugars out. Basically do a mini BIAB.

I would use at least 1lb of 2-row or pils for each pound of other grains.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:21:31 am »

How much water?
2 qts per pound of grain. Use a large grain bag, pull it, put in a strainer over kettle, pour some of the remaining hot water over the grains to get the sugars out. Basically do a mini BIAB.

Yup, I can do that.  Thanks Steve.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 09:13:38 am »

How much water?

Instead of the strainer over kettle thing (after 1 hour at 150), can I just dunk/steep the grain bag in the same 4 gallons of 160-ish F water that I'm steeping other grain?  Will that rinse out the remaining sugars?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 09:17:02 am »

How much water?

Instead of the strainer over kettle thing (after 1 hour at 150), can I just dunk/steep the grain bag in the same 4 gallons of 160-ish F water that I'm steeping other grain?  Will that rinse out the remaining sugars?

you can dunk rinse. I would put all your grains in the mini mash. it's simpler that way as you don't have two steeping steps. you can have another pot with the remaining volume of water up to temp and dunk or you can pour the hot water over the grains as steve suggests. either way will work.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce