Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian whitbier  (Read 2595 times)

Offline dan13r

• 1st Kit
Belgian whitbier
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
Anyone with experience with this recipe I need a little help.

Does the standard recipe call for both barely malt extract and wheat extract or is it only wheat extract in a whitbier? Also, do you leave the coriander and orange peel in the wort during the fermentation phase or does it get dumped with the spent hops prior to pitching yeast?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Belgian whitbier
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:22 am »
Use a wheat extract (for an extract version). Spin the coriander and orange peel to dust in a coffee grinder and add them into the boil with ~5 min or less left.

My first extract witbier took 37 at comp and best all the other wits in the flight. I lost the recipe long ago, but take a look at my AG Wit or Witout recipe for my spice recommendations for a Witbier.
www.ipass.net/mpdixon
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Re: Belgian whitbier
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:38:11 pm »
  I brew a wit on a regular basis.  I use a wheat extract because it is 65% wheat and 45% base malt. (from Briess via Northwestern).  As for the orange and coriander, I crush them on brewday and make tea bags for them.  I steep for 20 min after flame out.  Many people add them to the boil at 5 - 10 min with great results, either way they should come out of the wort with the hops before fermentation.  Summer is a great time to enjoy this style! Cheers.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID