Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Hearted Clone  (Read 8217 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Two Hearted Clone
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 10:20:11 am »
I think the lb of sugar could do the trick. But you're right, where there's extract involved it's tough. The OG is too high for BTH.

Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 10:20:45 am »
I forgot this was extract. Steep the grains at about 150 for 30. I would skip the vienna all together and brew the recipe linked from Northern Brewer.

Offline Kelvard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:00 am »
How about:

5 lbs of DME - Light
2.5 lbs of American Vienna
.75 lb of Cane Sugar
.5 lb of Crystal 40L

This gives me an OG of 1.065, FG of 1.017, ABV of 6.27%

It brings my IBU up to 81, so I just won't put in some of the hops.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:31 am »
I think the lb of sugar could do the trick. But you're right, where there's extract involved it's tough. The OG is too high for BTH.

yep even if he hits 82% ADT, thats about 8.2%abv.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:41 am »
How about:

5 lbs of DME - Light
.75 lb of Cane Sugar
.5 lb of Crystal 40L

looks better. but based upon what other post said about 80-82% ADT, expect and hope for FG of around 1.012 and 7% abv
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:45 am »
I forgot this was extract. Steep the grains at about 150 for 30. I would skip the vienna all together and brew the recipe linked from Northern Brewer.

Yeah, that's where I was torn - that's a lot of Vienna to try to get gravity points from, so it seemed mashing would be better.  I'm with you, probably better to use the clone recipe, and tinker with it on a rebrew if need be.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 10:29:06 am »
I would keep OG in line with the brewer's recipe in Zymurgy and would probably add no more than .5 lb of sugar.  Or none at all - I've never used DME in a recipe so I guess I'm not sure.  But I would think OG in low 1.060s would finish in the 1.012 -14 ballpark regardless, which is where you want it.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 10:33:06 am »
How about:

5 lbs of DME - Light
.75 lb of Cane Sugar
.5 lb of Crystal 40L

looks better. but based upon what other post said about 80-82% ADT, expect and hope for FG of around 1.012 and 7% abv

Agree.  But again, 82% is with O2 from a stone, Mark's high krausen pitching and solid temp control with a ramp up.  And I don't know how DME will end up!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:59 am »
I would keep OG in line with the brewer's recipe in Zymurgy and would probably add no more than .5 lb of sugar.  Or none at all - I've never used DME in a recipe so I guess I'm not sure.  But I would think OG in low 1.060s would finish in the 1.012 -14 ballpark regardless, which is where you want it.

If you use Briess DME you get a fairly fermentable extract (for extract), but most all of the others, especially with a fair amount of crystal, will often leave a higher FG than you like. I just find sweet IPA hard to drink. The gypsum would help with that, though.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 10:38:53 am »
How about:

5 lbs of DME - Light
.75 lb of Cane Sugar
.5 lb of Crystal 40L

Agree.  But again, 82% is with O2 from a stone, Mark's high krausen pitching and solid temp control with a ramp up.  And I don't know how DME will end up!

yup agreed. thats why i shot a flare on this one. got to finish 1.012 or lower IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:16 am »

If you use Briess DME you get a fairly fermentable extract (for extract), but most all of the others, especially with a fair amount of crystal, will often leave a higher FG than you like. I just find sweet IPA hard to drink. The gypsum would help with that, though.

Makes sense.  Mallet does suggest Briess extract and some gypsum in the boil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:10 am »

FWIW, I use Briess pils DME and a couple oz steeped crystal for my 1 gallon hop trial APAs.  Using most other extracts leaves a higher FG.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 10:48:50 am »

FWIW, I use Briess pils DME and a couple oz steeped crystal for my 1 gallon hop trial APAs.  Using most other extracts leaves a higher FG.

where you listed 2oz at "0"...you doing that at flameout and throwing them in, or are you doing a whirlpool?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:31 am »

My experience with Breiss pils DME is that it is highly fermentable.

I've switched to their golden light in order to maintain more body in my beers.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 11:13:13 am »

where you listed 2oz at "0"...you doing that at flameout and throwing them in, or are you doing a whirlpool?

I just assumed a standard FO addition there.  I don't push newer brewers to hopstand unless they're ready for the jump. It's not like it's harder, just different from how most recipes are written.
Jon H.