Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The ethics of keggles  (Read 10957 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: The ethics of keggles
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »
NOS means 'Not Otherwise Specified' - basically a designation for generic gas. Converted? Probably not, but you might be able to exchange it at a gas shop. If may need hydrostatic testing at this point though, which may affect value.

For the kegs, you're kind-of asking 'How long is enough?' Ethically, I'd say if you know you have someone's property the ethical route is to try to return it. In the large gray area of ethics, I'm sure at this point nobody knows they're missing. The gas cylinder, on the other hand, was probably owned by whomever left it there - or at least, you'll never figure out who owned it anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2015, 01:19:47 pm »
All of this is as figured. My main issue was finding out about the gas tank, as I said I really have no use for the kegs or means to open them to clean. I did some research and found that a local brewery is still producing Hudepohl beer after buying the rights in mid 2000's. I will start with them as I think I can guess what their distributor will tell me. Thanks for your thoughts guys
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »
Bump for input,
     At work today, I found 2 old Hudepohl brewing Company half barrel kegs. They are left over from a company picnic at least 10 years ago. One is actually still about half full and pressurized. I also found a 20#(I think) tank of beer gas: labeled "compressed gas, N.O.S."
    So I have a few questions, as the brewery is operated by a different company now than when these were used at the party. I know there is a link in here for returning kegs, but at this point, is it worth it? Is it ethical to keep them? The second part also involves the question, They are metal, with rubberized tops and bottoms. Besides re-filling with beer, are they functional for anything around a home brewery? They have a metal American sanke head, and may just be rubber coated(and that is my guess) Can this rubber coating just be removed? I already have a 15 gallon boil kettle and use either a 48 or 70 qt cooler for batch sparging, so really no need for a keggle anyways. Also, any thoughts on the tank of gas? Is looks like on the other side of the label it says "Ultra mix" maybe. Can it be switched over to CO2 when I start a draft system?
     Any thoughts or suggestions anyone has would be most appreciated. Not looking to game the system, just looking for suggestions. Let me know what you think...

The only thing I can tell you is that "compressed gas, N.O.S." only means that it is non-flammable.  It's probably CO2 but you can't tell from just that label.

As for the rest of your questions... I'll leave those to others because I'm not sure where "found" 15 year old kegs fall on the ethical scale.   ::)

Paul

I'm pretty sure that N.O.S. means nitrogen.  Not sure of the safety life of a keg, but my guess is it's past.  I'd contact the brewery and see if they even want them back.  If not, and given the rubber, I'd bring to my local recycle center. 

Offline 69franx

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2015, 01:57:40 pm »
Yeah, I can't imagine them being put back into the production cycle. I'll try to make contact tomorrow afternoon when I am closer into downtown Cincinnati where the current brewery is located, Christian Moerlein. Their name is an homage to heavier lagers brewed back in the day by Hudepohl and named "Christian Moerlein cincinnati select lager." New guy opened the CM brewery and bought the rights to brew and sell all of Hudepohl and Schoenling breweries beers. Kind fun topic to study
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure that N.O.S. means nitrogen.
Not in this case.  NOS is slang for N2O (nitrous oxide) because it's a brand of nitrous used in the performance car world.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »
NOS means 'Not Otherwise Specified' - basically a designation for generic gas. Converted? Probably not, but you might be able to exchange it at a gas shop. If may need hydrostatic testing at this point though, which may affect value.

For the kegs, you're kind-of asking 'How long is enough?' Ethically, I'd say if you know you have someone's property the ethical route is to try to return it. In the large gray area of ethics, I'm sure at this point nobody knows they're missing. The gas cylinder, on the other hand, was probably owned by whomever left it there - or at least, you'll never figure out who owned it anyway.

That makes sense.  It isn't what I was told but in the machine shop I learned it in, it was probably easier to tell the young'uns "this one won't blow you up and these will" without going into details.   ;D

Still not to old to learn.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:25 pm »

And that's why their executives are multi-millionaires and you are not. 

As pointed out earlier, it's not criminal theft by law, if that makes a difference in your ethics..  Failure to return forfeits your deposit.  Don't think they haven't done the math. They are knowingly complicit in underage cash keg sales and choose to ignore it.  Cigarettes don't cause cancer, either.

No, my ethics are personal, not dictated by law.  They are also not dependent on someone else's ethics.  I do what I do because I believe it's the right thing to do.

"I have gained this from philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle

One of my favorite quotes.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline 69franx

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »
i agree, and if I get no relief from the current brewer or distributor, what is my next step?  Its easy to say what I should do, but if noone wants the kegs as they are, what do I do? Its easy to take the moral high ground, but I have already stated that I neither need them or necessarily want them. What is the right thing to do then in those circumstances? This is really the crux of my post and questions in general. I am not asking when it it okay to keep them, or how many years, etc. Maybe my original post was unclear, and for that I apologize. For thse in the pro sector, what are your thoughts if you had a member of the public in this situation 10-15 years down the road?
Frank L.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2015, 06:04:06 am »
The important question is this:  Will you stop in at the Moerlein Lager House and what will you order??  Love their food and fresh beer on tap.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2015, 11:24:39 am »
I love the views from the lager house, especially in spring out on the deck. Great place.
Frank L.