Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: does anyone brew two batches at the same time?  (Read 11973 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: does anyone brew two batches at the same time?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:17 pm »
I'll sometimes brew a big beer (long mash and long boil) and a starter at the same time.  I've already got the time I'm putting in on the big beer, so no problem.  It is a long day with or without the second beer.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
I'll sometimes brew a big beer (long mash and long boil) and a starter at the same time.  I've already got the time I'm putting in on the big beer, so no problem.  It is a long day with or without the second beer.

Fred

you CAN make good BIG beers without boiling for 8 hours, you know  ;) ;) ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tappedout

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 08:36:00 am »
If I were trying to up production, I'd go with a bigger wort-production system, but then split up the ferment.  Different yeast, ferm. temps, dry hopppng, dry herbing, oaking, etc.  You'll get different beers (and probably some fascinating comparisons), without stressing on brew day.

Offline mtburr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 09:07:34 am »
I did this once with two 5 gallon extract recipes. One of the batches was more complicated because I started with 8 gallons of sweetwater (maple sap) and boiled it down to about 4 gallons. I had a helper (a newbie) and STILL I screwed up the DME addition schedule for the other batch. Both beers turned out fine, but I thought this two-at-once process was just too much to keep track of at one time. I don't think I'd try it again.
However I know somebody who boils an extract batch while he's mashing his AG batch. Maybe there's some logic to that.
-MTB

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09:29 am »
Never 2 at once, but I have done 2 batches in one day.  Once the first one is boiling, I mash in for the second batch and go from there.  Only done it a few times.

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:20 am »
I haven't done concurrent brews, but like others I've done overlapping. I don't usually do it though. My brother and I did three 5 gallon batches on a Saturday. It was a long but successful day.
Travis R.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:15 am »
I also do parti-gyle batches for my big brews. First runnings for the big beer. Second runnings for the small beer. If you have a 2nd boil kettle you can have the second runnings boiling within 15 minutes of the first.
Brew on

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:09 am »
I've done three in one day and five in 24 hours !:o  I'll never do that again!
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 01:02:34 pm »
I have done two in one day with my equipment (2 burners and more than one MT) while helping my neighbor learn to brew.  We did a 12 gallon batch and a 10 gallon simple pale ale for him, staggering the steps so that when my boil was starting his sparge was going.  It was hectic, but mainly because it was an unplanned second batch.  I have also collected second runnings and made 5 gallons of small beer following a 10 gallon batch of stronger beer on more than one occasion.  I am not usually pleased with the small beer, but second runnings are also a good way to get a batch of starters out of the way. 

Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »
I am not usually pleased with the small beer

in what ways?  I was thinking of partigyling my barleywine at the end of the year, throwing a few more pounds of basemalt and half pound of crystal to brew an ESB of sorts with the seconds - please explain further.  perhaps another thread is in order as to not hijack this one...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 01:49:27 pm »
It's pretty common for me to do a 10gallon batch, and then split it into two 5 gallon fermentors at the end.

That is MO these days.  I like being able to try two yeasts or dry hop one and not the other, or just make 10 gallons of a tried and true session beer (Starter for Fred.)

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 03:06:01 pm »
I usually brew 2 batches simultaneously. Extract batches boiling on a stovetop :)
My record is brewing 5 in one day - 2/2/1. No problems at all.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline bigdog

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 09:16:51 am »

However I know somebody who boils an extract batch while he's mashing his AG batch. Maybe there's some logic to that.
-MTB

That's what I've been thinking about doing, but I think I would still need second burner to get the sparge water ready.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 09:44:53 am »
I often do multiple batches with multiple tuns. An even easier method is to split the wort and do separate boils to end up with two different beers. Another fun thing is to water one down post boil to end up with a stronger beer and a lower abv beer. Think IPA and PA, Alt and Sticke, etc.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 07:21:10 am »
I've done 2 batches in one day several times, but it's a ton of fun/work.  The last time I did it I brewed 10 gallons of Bohemian Pils and 15 gallons of brown ale split into 3 buckets with different yeasts.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico