Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: does anyone brew two batches at the same time?  (Read 11972 times)

Offline woody

• Cellarman
does anyone brew two batches at the same time?
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »
Any have a dual setup, i.e. two burners, two mashtuns and two boil kettles so you can do simultaneous batches?   
I suppose I could upgrade to 20 gallon batches instead of 10, but I wouldn't care for 20 gallons of the same beer all at once.   
Aside from the initial cost, I can only see a few problems...   would splitting my garden hose into a Y to run two chillers be effective enough?   
And I'd probably have to keep good notes on what goes in which batch at what time... (I can see it now-   Oh s**t!  I just dumped 2 ounces of centennial in my german pils at flameout instead of the IPA!)   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: does anyone brew two batches at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:31:25 pm »
A guy in our club has 3 large systems and often does 3 batches at once.  I've heard stories of "Oh, crap, what goes into which batch when?"  Me, I'm not brave enough to try it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:33:24 pm »
I've done two in one day but only one burner so never two at a time.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »
A guy in our club has 3 large systems and often does 3 batches at once.  I've heard stories of "Oh, crap, what goes into which batch when?"  Me, I'm not brave enough to try it.

ha ha I'd have to plan carefully.   I think I could pull it off.   Hell, sometimes at work I'm designing, programming and running jobs on 4+ CNCs at the same time when we're short handed, so I should be able to handle 2 brew days.    And they don't even let me drink at work!    A beer would make it all the easier....  ;-)

Offline pashusa

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:43:42 pm »
Why?  It seems like a lot of work. Would be kinda hard to relax not worry and have a home brew while you were doing that much WORK. I takes me a month or two to drink up one 5 gallon batch. Leaves me more than enough time to brew more batches some time in that period. Maybe if you were planning a big party or had to use up a lot of grains fast.
I wasn't even in town that day, I swear.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 03:52:31 pm »
Why?  It seems like a lot of work. Would be kinda hard to relax not worry and have a home brew while you were doing that much WORK. I takes me a month or two to drink up one 5 gallon batch. Leaves me more than enough time to brew more batches some time in that period. Maybe if you were planning a big party or had to use up a lot of grains fast.

The extra work doesn't scare me.  The way I look at it, I bust my ass all week long for someone else, so when it comes to working for me (i.e. my hobby) I have no problem working just as hard.    Not that I consider brewing work anyway   ;)

Plus my wife and I like to hit the kegs pretty hard, so its nice to have a variety on hand (in large quanities!) 

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »
I normally do overlapping 10 gal batches (20 gal total).  I use 2 burners and and extra pot, but only 1 mash tun.  I've found that overnight mashing the second mash is the most time efficient method for me.  Like you, my wife and I like to hit the kegs.  We also have younger children so I try to get as much beer for my brewing time so we can have family time.

I'm currently assembling a 20 gal setup while keeping the 10 gal system in tact.  That way I can brew 30 gal at once if I want to.

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
I've also done overlapping batches, which is hairy enough - but manageable.  1 mash, lauter into the first BK, then another mash while the first is coming to a boil, lauter into the second pot, chill the first while boiling the second.  I don't think I could manage 2 simultaneous mashes.  Hops can be measured out and marked ahead of time, so mixing up which hops in which batch shouldn't be a problem if you're organized.  If you're comfortable with your process, go for it man!  More beer in less time = better.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:32:23 pm »
yeah - overlapping batches is hectic on its own, but you can certainly do it.  just don't plan on relaxing any until the cleanup is over and the wort is in the fermenters.

I just did a 12g wit and 12gal schwartzbier on Oct 30th, started at 7:30am and finished at ~4pm and it was hectic.

That said, around Christmas time I'll be subjecting myself to it again, with an additional batch - partigyle BW/ESB and then a RIS.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »
It's pretty common for me to do a 10gallon batch, and then split it into two 5 gallon fermentors at the end. 
Sometimes I have done that back to back, brewing 2 10gallon batches one after the other.  That makes for a long day. 

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:49 pm »
I'll do overlapping 5 gallon batches. I keep them a step apart.
Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

I agree with you and that's why I'll likely never do it.  But some people have a different idea of "fun" than you and I.  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:05 pm »
Denny- I'm guessing your wife doesn't drink anything like my wife does

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:21:29 pm »
I used to do it a lot (in fact I have done 3 back to back 10 gallon batches in a day a few time before.) But now one batch is plenty, though I will brew 2 days in a row often.

Offline jackfromjax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:45:57 pm »
I usually get the "green light" to brew for one day, so I'll at least do two batches.  I've done three a couple of times, but that was a brutally long day.  When doing two, I'll overlap so I'm mashed in with sparge water ready on the second batch  while I'm boiling and chilling the first batch.  The key for me is timing the chilling of wort, transfer to fermenters and cleaning of the boil kettle while I'm raising the mash to 168 prior to the sparge.  It's such a great moment when I just finish up cleaning the boil kettle when the timer goes off to begin the sparge.  Talk about being in the zone.  Of course, this perfect timing has only happened once.