Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blizzard  (Read 10531 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Blizzard
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 09:32:35 am »
hang on to your shovels NE...another round incoming.

bring it on... SKI THE EAST

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're getting a kick out of it. :P

Obviously none of these people have ever driven in MA during a snow storm or even light snow.  Hell, probably not even a sunny day in Summer.  NH isn't much better.

I'm always amazed by people who have lived in New England their whole lives and still don't know how to drive.  My wife got bumped yesterday because some idiot was following too close (the roads were pretty bad).  All the damage was done to his driver's side door and none to my wife's Kia (he hit the bumper).  Serves him right.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 11:23:48 am »

bring it on... SKI THE EAST

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're getting a kick out of it. :P

Obviously none of these people have ever driven in MA during a snow storm or even light snow.  Hell, probably not even a sunny day in Summer.  NH isn't much better.

I'm always amazed by people who have lived in New England their whole lives and still don't know how to drive.  My wife got bumped yesterday because some idiot was following too close (the roads were pretty bad).  All the damage was done to his driver's side door and none to my wife's Kia (he hit the bumper).  Serves him right.

I'm trying to figure out if your anger at this driver is directed at me, and you're being presumptuous about my driving skills/habits, or if I'm misinterpreting the tone of this comment, particularly if "these people" means me, who you've quoted... I live in Waltham, drive into Boston every day unless I'm on my bike.  This was not "obvious" from my comment or profile.  I'll be headed to NH this weekend just like almost every other weekend.  My family is in Franconia.  I just like to ski, which requires snow, which there is plenty of, which I'm happy about. 

That said, I friggin hate it when people ride my ass too, regardless of the road conditions.  I agree, serves the tailgater right and I'm glad your wife is ok.  Yes, the commute has sucked lately, but I'll take it every day of the week if I get to ride fresh snow on the weekends.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
I'm trying to figure out if your anger at this driver is directed at me, and you're being presumptuous about my driving skills/habits, or if I'm misinterpreting the tone of this comment, particularly if "these people" means me, who you've quoted... I live in Waltham, drive into Boston every day unless I'm on my bike.  This was not "obvious" from my comment or profile.  I'll be headed to NH this weekend just like almost every other weekend.  My family is in Franconia.  I just like to ski, which requires snow, which there is plenty of, which I'm happy about. 

That said, I friggin hate it when people ride my ass too, regardless of the road conditions.  I agree, serves the tailgater right and I'm glad your wife is ok.  Yes, the commute has sucked lately, but I'll take it every day of the week if I get to ride fresh snow on the weekends.
No..not directed at you.  I'm just pissed at those people who can't drive safely in the conditions.  I have lived in NE my entire life (except for the 2 years of insanity when I was in NY) and never had a at-fault weather related accident.  It's more of the inconvenience of having to go to work during a storm.  I'm not one of those "you live in NH...get used to it or move" people and I'm glad there's snow for the skiers and riders (I don't ski and I grew up in VT a few miles from a ski area - go figure).

I actually find it better when the news stations all freak out and say there is a huge storm coming because most people will stay home, leaving little to no traffic on the roads. 

Stop in Londonderry/Derry on your way through and check out some of the breweries we have if you have time.  Kelsen's, From the Barrel, 603 brewery and Moonlight Meadery.  Also, drive safe this weekend...looks like we have another foot coming from Saturday night thru Monday night...yippee!
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
Saw a news video the other night from out east.  The reporter was talking about impassable and dangerous roads blah, blah, blah.   All of a sudden a mini van towing a bumper skier goes by on the street behind him.  It reminded me of college.  It made me laugh.

We would go bumper skiing in KCMO on the ice after storms.  One night a city cop turned on to the street we were on.  Our tow car turned onto a side street and we skiers let go of the ropes and calmly slide past the police car like we always slid around and 20mph.    ;D  The cop just smiled.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »
I'm not looking forward to any more snow. I'm not sure where we can put it. I might need to find someone with a front-end loader to move some of the buildup from the last few storms before the next one hits.

Traffic in Providence is still insane since none of the side roads are clear. When I get out of work the first 1.5 miles takes 45 minutes and the other 18 takes twenty.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »
I actually find it better when the news stations all freak out and say there is a huge storm coming because most people will stay home, leaving little to no traffic on the roads. 

Stop in Londonderry/Derry on your way through and check out some of the breweries we have if you have time.  Kelsen's, From the Barrel, 603 brewery and Moonlight Meadery.  Also, drive safe this weekend...looks like we have another foot coming from Saturday night thru Monday night...yippee!

I agree completely!!  The coverage of the first storm was appropriate, then the second one was more or less ignored because (a) of the super bowl and (b) i think the media got exhausted by the first storm.

I have a gift certificate for a granite state growler tour that i'm holding until the spring... very excited!!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »

I agree completely!!  The coverage of the first storm was appropriate, then the second one was more or less ignored because (a) of the super bowl and (b) i think the media got exhausted by the first storm.

I have a gift certificate for a granite state growler tour that i'm holding until the spring... very excited!!

My homebrew club just did a private tour with them last weekend in Maine.  We hit Bissell Brothers, Austin St. Foundation in Portland (all 3 in the same complex across from Allagash), Run of the Mill in Saco for lunch, Banded Horn in Biddeford, Hidden Cove in Wells, and SoMe in York.  It was a great day.

AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:45 am »
OK, the snow has officially lost its charm. As has the freezing temperatures.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 06:47:34 am »
So after nearly another foot over the past couple days, there are two more snow storm possibilities this week.  One on Thursday and another on Sunday.  Currently for my area, each is in the 2-6 inch range.

Up until January 23rd, Boston had something like 5.5" total.  Since then, they have received 71" of snow.  These next two storms may add another foot to that.  Anyone who knows Boston knows what a pain it is to drive around in Summer.  Now add 7-8ft of snow to that and it practically a standstill.  They want to truck some of the snow out of the city and dump it in the ocean, but there are people concerned that the snow will contain salt and sand...wouldn't want to dump those into the ocean.  ::)  Problem is, they are running out of room and it's gotta go somewhere.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 06:55:04 am »
So after nearly another foot over the past couple days, there are two more snow storm possibilities this week.  One on Thursday and another on Sunday.  Currently for my area, each is in the 2-6 inch range.

Up until January 23rd, Boston had something like 5.5" total.  Since then, they have received 71" of snow.  These next two storms may add another foot to that.  Anyone who knows Boston knows what a pain it is to drive around in Summer.  Now add 7-8ft of snow to that and it practically a standstill.  They want to truck some of the snow out of the city and dump it in the ocean, but there are people concerned that the snow will contain salt and sand...wouldn't want to dump those into the ocean.  ::)  Problem is, they are running out of room and it's gotta go somewhere.

its crazy. heard its the most snow boston has ever had. the rate the storms are coming, this thread may stay alive until April!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 07:12:27 am »
its crazy. heard its the most snow boston has ever had. the rate the storms are coming, this thread may stay alive until April!
It's the most they've had in a 30 day period.  Still about 30" off from the highest total ever from 1995-96 which was around 107".  I have a feeling they have a chance to break that record.  Going to be one hell of a mud season.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 07:25:40 am »
It's the most they've had in a 30 day period.  Still about 30" off from the highest total ever from 1995-96 which was around 107".  I have a feeling they have a chance to break that record.  Going to be one hell of a mud season.

the mayor was on tv today and sad its the most in history of boston....perhaps he doesnt have good historical researchers!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

the mayor was on tv today and sad its the most in history of boston....perhaps he doesnt have good historical researchers!

I believe it's also the most "current snow cover" ever, meaning snow on the ground as opposed to snowfall.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 01:06:38 pm »
OK, the snow has officially lost its charm. As has the freezing temperatures.
Yep. Eff snow.

And it's not going to get better any time soon. I have already paid more for snowplowing in the past month than heat in the entire season.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:42 pm »
The forecast high tomorrow in Portland, OR is 62.
Just sayin'. 
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women