Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blizzard  (Read 10536 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Blizzard
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:16 am »
Its the loaf that one of Peter Rheinhart's students is holding on the cover of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." My girlfriend couldn't wait the two weeks to give me a birthday present of a pro-series Kitchenaid mixer so I broke it in with a double batch of pizza dough and the miche. I came very close to firing up the outdoor wood-fired oven to make pizza and bread as a protest against winter yesterday but the wind was blowing the snow around too much so I had to do the baking stone and pan of water thing.
I love that book. I just got a sourdough culture going in November, so I'll have to try the miche.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 11:59:41 am »
Everyone in the NE be safe.  We haven't had a really big one here in South-Central Iowa in many years.  Don't miss them too much either.

The comments about the grocery stores make me chuckle.  Last Fall the forecasters were calling for 4" and light winds.  You would have thought it was the end of the world judging by the grocery store parking lots.   ::) 

The big storms we have here today (knock on wood) are still small compared to the ones we had in NW Iowa when I was a kid (I know, know, walked to school, up hill both ways, 120 digs and 4 feet of snow and all that).  We had one that lasted for 3 or 4 days with 40+ inches of snow and 40-50 MPH winds for 4 days.  Most amazing snow storm I've ever seen.  Getting to the milking parlor required following a rope, it was crazy.  The sledding on the 35' drifts behind the grove was awesome though!  Once we found the cattle back, that is.   ;D

Again, be safe and have some fun in it once it's calmed down out there again.

Paul
I'm always reminded of the Blizzard of '78 on my tenth birthday which was three days long, 36" of snow and completely unexpected. We shoveled paths through snow that were above the adults heads and the kitchen was pitch black because the snow was higher than the doors and windows.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:23 pm »
Its the loaf that one of Peter Rheinhart's students is holding on the cover of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." My girlfriend couldn't wait the two weeks to give me a birthday present of a pro-series Kitchenaid mixer so I broke it in with a double batch of pizza dough and the miche. I came very close to firing up the outdoor wood-fired oven to make pizza and bread as a protest against winter yesterday but the wind was blowing the snow around too much so I had to do the baking stone and pan of water thing.
I love that book. I just got a sourdough culture going in November, so I'll have to try the miche.
Its actually not that hard either. You make a firm starter the day before from your barm then just make the dough the next day. I sub bowl and cloth for bannetons. I made it because I'm trying to use more whole grains and its my possibly favorite whole grain recipe. I almost typed "all grain" instead of "whole grain". You know your a homebrewer when...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:05:21 pm »
Everyone in the NE be safe.  We haven't had a really big one here in South-Central Iowa in many years.  Don't miss them too much either.

The comments about the grocery stores make me chuckle.  Last Fall the forecasters were calling for 4" and light winds.  You would have thought it was the end of the world judging by the grocery store parking lots.   ::) 

The big storms we have here today (knock on wood) are still small compared to the ones we had in NW Iowa when I was a kid (I know, know, walked to school, up hill both ways, 120 digs and 4 feet of snow and all that).  We had one that lasted for 3 or 4 days with 40+ inches of snow and 40-50 MPH winds for 4 days.  Most amazing snow storm I've ever seen.  Getting to the milking parlor required following a rope, it was crazy.  The sledding on the 35' drifts behind the grove was awesome though!  Once we found the cattle back, that is.   ;D

Paul
I'm always reminded of the Blizzard of '78 on my tenth birthday which was three days long, 36" of snow and completely unexpected. We shoveled paths through snow that were above the adults heads and the kitchen was pitch black because the snow was higher than the doors and windows.

Yeah, I was a kid living in the country in the winter of '78 and it took a bulldozer to open up our county road, a couple days after the snow ended. Still the biggest drifts I've ever seen. It was a kid's snow day sledding paradise, though.  I'll never forget it.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:51 pm »
We got a lot of snow last year, and bitter cold. Not much snow this year, the temp has been below average, the heating degree days are up about 10% from the long term average. Compared to last year, everyone is saying it isn't so bad!

Last year I couldn't through the snow any higher. Stay safe in the East.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:53 pm »

Paul

Yeah, I was a kid living in the country in the winter of '78 and it took a bulldozer to open up our county road, a couple days after the snow ended. Still the biggest drifts I've ever seen. It was a kid's snow day sledding paradise, though.  I'll never forget it.

We hired a bulldozer to "build" fences after the storm ('75 I think).  Snow was packed so hard the steers could just walk out of the yard.  Most of them came back when they got hungry but we had to go find and herd back a few.

The drifts out by the burn pile were taller than the cattle shed and the 80 year old pine trees looked like Christmas trees.  I'd laugh at the "old man" telling tall tales if I hadn't lived through it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:36 pm »
  I'd laugh at the "old man" telling tall tales if I hadn't lived through it.

Yeah, exactly !   'Hey you kids.......'     :D
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »
I was in VT in '78 and almost 11 years old.  I don't remember getting an enormous amount of snow from this storm.  But then I was a kid and didn't really care.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 12:57:37 pm »
I was in VT in '78 and almost 11 years old.  I don't remember getting an enormous amount of snow from this storm.  But then I was a kid and didn't really care.

No one knew it was coming and everyone had a big car with rear wheel drive...

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »
Good luck. Hope your fridge is stocked and your internet doesn't go out.

+1.  Be safe. I'm sure the Midwest will gets its turn soon.

glad this one is missing us..and i hope no time soon!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 01:08:15 pm »

We had 4 wheel drive vehicles...but you did need to get out and lock the front hubs to engage it :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »

We had 4 wheel drive vehicles...but you did need to get out and lock the front hubs to engage it :)

ha exactly. i had a 1966 jeep truck at 16..had caterpillar drive and you engaged it from the glove box.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:10 pm »
I may have a dim memory of that '78 storm. I would have been two. Possibly living in a Quonset hut at the time. in Hinesburg VT. possibly in the north end of Burlington.

I remember quite a few big 24"+ storms growing up in Vermont. actually not just growing up. I lived on the side of mt mansfield before I moved out west and we had a couple 24"+ storms over the two years we lived there. Nice back country skiing after a big storm like that. Just don't go out alone or you might get stuck up to your chest is snow.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:19 pm »

I may have a dim memory of that '78 storm. I would have been two. Possibly living in a Quonset hut at the time. in Hinesburg VT. possibly in the north end of Burlington.

I remember quite a few big 24"+ storms growing up in Vermont. actually not just growing up. I lived on the side of mt mansfield before I moved out west and we had a couple 24"+ storms over the two years we lived there. Nice back country skiing after a big storm like that. Just don't go out alone or you might get stuck up to your chest is snow.

Exactly. I lived near sugar bush and then went to ski school at killington. Great times in Vermont ; always love to go back there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »
The winter of 78 was the biggest reason we moved from Cincinnati to Florida.
I drove to work the day of the blizzard, mostly because when it got too cold the radio stopped working in my car so I didn't know it was a blizzard until later.
During the next week people were walking across the Ohio River for cryin out loud.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995