Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you strain your wort?  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
Do you strain your wort?
« on: December 25, 2014, 09:27:19 pm »
When I started home brewing this year, I started using a strainer to both clean up the wort going into the primary and also aerate the wort. Generally, I would run the cooled wort from the kettle to the primary bucket through the strainer.

As I have gained more experience, have started using oxygen to aerate and am brewing a bit more complicated extract beers, I am wondering if I should:

1) stop straining
2) continue straining
3) use the strainer on certain types of beer

These thoughts occurred as I was making a Belgian Tripel and ended up straining the orange peels I had just added at flame out...now wondering if this screwed up the flavors. Then when I made my second batch for the day, an FBS clone with cocoa nibs, I didn't strain as I wanted to leave the primary on the nibs.

Any thoughts out there on straining?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Do you strain your wort?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 10:37:18 pm »
Personally ive never strained. I used to use mesh bags. But for at least a year I just wirlpool chill, let settle, and rack.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:45 am »
Since I just throw my hops in loose in the boil (I don't use a bag or spider or anything like that), I do use a strainer for most of my beers. But if you're brewing a beer without a lot of trub, then you could just use an autosiphon to rack to your fermenter. Or you could just pour carefully and leave the last few pints (with the thickest amount of trub) in the kettle.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:46:32 am »
Yeah I run through a strainer because I don't have a way to siphon out of the kettle and use a whirlpool to keep all that stuff out of the fermentor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:22:06 am »
I use a SS hop spider to retain the big majority of hop matter. As for the trub I let a good portion of it into the fermenter most times. There have been many postings here (some recently) that letting trub into the fermenter  doesn't hurt beer quality and actually could help with final clarity.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:20 am »
I strain smaller batches because its easy and autosiphon larger batches. I don't really care that much about trub, in fact I try to have a little. When I'm using whole leaf hops I strain and squeeze some of the wort out of the hops.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »
I dont strain.  I do not thin it hurts anything if done before oxygenating.  I do not do it mostly becuast it is just one more thing that I might screw up... and one more thing to clean. 

I am one for keeping trube out of the fermentor, but I just siphon after a whirlpool, and what little bit makes it in... never been an issue.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

Do you strain your wort?
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 07:08:07 am »
I use a hop spider and strain. I figure the resulting foam indicates aeration.  Maybe not but I like the outcome!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:09:47 am by BrewBama »

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:27 am »
I use a hop spider as well and have a bazooka screen in the kettle since I use a CFC to chill, works well and prevents clogs
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Online tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
I pour everything (hops, trub, etc) in the fermenter. All of it sinks and stays out of the way. It gets buried under a layer of flocculated yeast after fermentation completes. I also repitch the slurry unwashed 3-4 times per yeast purchase.

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 10:59:32 am »
I used to, but stopped as it's much easier and I haven't experienced any negative effects since doing it. I toss all of the hops in loose, chill, stir, let settle then open the valve and right into the carboy. Usually the most trub comes from the very last bit of volume, but if there's a lot mixed in with the remaining wort, it goes right into the carboy with the rest. The only real issue is with my IPAs and that I lose an additional 0.5-.0.75 gallons of final volume due to all of the hop matter, but that's negligible overall. I'll probably just to 6 gallon batches of IPA/DIPA for 5 gallons of final volume.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:02:38 am by Multifaceted »

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »
Thanks all for the replies! Not a clear consensus but good arguments for both cases of strain vs. no-strain...mostly I sense people generally strain over trub concerns.

I use a SS hop spider to retain the big majority of hop matter. As for the trub I let a good portion of it into the fermenter most times. There have been many postings here (some recently) that letting trub into the fermenter  doesn't hurt beer quality and actually could help with final clarity.

I'll look into the thoughts on the benefits of leaving trub in the fermenter...although its too late for me to dive into another topic tonight; however, I will tell you that I just finished racking my FBS and Belgian Tripel a few minutes ago and noticed the FBS is VERY cloudy (first time I haven't strained)...so I will see how the secondary magic works with regard to clarity.

Cheers!

Statsmats

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:51 am »
I strain although it doesn't really pull much out of the liquid until towards the very end, and I'm starting to tweak my equipment profile to get my volumes so that I can just call it quits once it gets trubby and I hit my final volume goals. 

In my experience temperature has a much more significant impact on clarity than the trub issue.  I used to notice beers would go from cloudy to clear at the flip of a switch right around 2.5-3 weeks after kegging.  Then I got a chest freezer and started cold conditioning pre-kegging and have found so far that beers are very clear once carbonated.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 06:51:01 am »
used to worry about how much boil trub made it into carboy....not so much anymore. never strained, just with a good hot and cold break, everything settles as its chilled and then i rack really clear wort for 95% collected. the last bit always pulls a little trub, and i haven't experienced any negative issues from it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:36:13 am »
I use a hop spider for almost all my extract and all grain batches and I dont usually strain anymore unless i happen to NOT use my hop spider. I also oxygenate using pure o2.