Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving is Coming!  (Read 4319 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Thanksgiving is Coming!
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanksgiving is almost here, and my wife and I are hosting for the first time. We are gonna have 14 people in our house, and its gonna be fun. I am making the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and some brussels sprouts. I might end up making an apple pie. My wife is making the stuffing. What crazy concoctions are you planning for your holiday?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thanksgiving is Coming!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »
I'm cooking for two this year. We thought about ordering a complete dinner, but the cost is ridiculous. I may order a turkey breast and make all of the sides and rolls.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
I make a brined smoked turkey every year - usually a big hit with people who aren't turkey fanatics. Gonna add garlic smashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and balsamic glazed brussel sprouts w/bacon to my list. My wife is an excellent cook too and will carry the rest of the load.

EDIT  -  The brine is water, honey, salt, peppercorns and bay leaves. 24 hrs.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »
I don't know what we're doing for Thanksgiving, but I'm sure it will involve lots of cranberry sauce and pie. It's pie season!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:55 pm »
we'll most likely do polenta cakes with wild mushrooms, cranberry sauce, creamed onions (cause I gotta have 'em), I sometimes do a seitan roullade with stuffing as the center piece. smashed potatos, and pie, pie, pie.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:04:11 pm »
Oh! I'm hosting for the first time this year too.  ;D Just 6 of us for a little friendsgiving, but it's a start!

I'm doing a spatchcocked turkey, mushroom stuffing, and roasted acorn squash w/ wild rice, while others are bringing desserts and sides.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:56:27 pm »
Oh! I'm hosting for the first time this year too.  ;D Just 6 of us for a little friendsgiving, but it's a start!

I'm doing a spatchcocked turkey, mushroom stuffing, and roasted acorn squash w/ wild rice, while others are bringing desserts and sides.

Careful, the first Thanksgiving we hosted was to be for 4 friends and us who were not going to be able to see family for that year.  Ended up with 2 of my sister's and there entire families alone the 4 friends and a couple of tag alongs, 2 neighbors and us.  Planned for 8, served 19 and still had leftovers.  It was a great dinner.   ;D

Whatever you serve, make it home maid and everyone will be thrilled.

Paul.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:05:51 pm »
None of us have children and 2/3 of us are homebrewers. I think we'll be fine. ;)

I make nearly everything from scratch, so that isn't an issue either. Well, nearly everything... That tomato paste in a tube is just too convenient!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
I am the youngest of 6 and we all live near enough to all get together at my parents so everyone brings something. I think we're up to about 25 of us. We do 2 turkeys, my sister does one and I do one. Several years ago I gave up factory farmed meats so I buy a free range organic turkey that gets slaughtered the Tuesday before Thanksgiving from a farm I am friends with. Its expensive but amazing. Store bought turkeys don't taste like turkey (or even chicken) once you have had the real thing. I do a honey Rosemary brine. Since I buy and cook the turkey the leftovers and carcass come home with me for turkey soup etc. This year I'll also make braised leeks and roasted parsnips because I have a big crop of both that I can leave in the ground until the day before.
EDIT: change the words "does" and "do" in the second sentence to "cooks" and "cook"
Also, hurray for tomato paste in tubes!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:14:12 pm by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »

Careful, the first Thanksgiving we hosted was to be for 4 friends and us who were not going to be able to see family for that year.  Ended up with 2 of my sister's and there entire families alone the 4 friends and a couple of tag alongs, 2 neighbors and us.  Planned for 8, served 19 and still had leftovers.  It was a great dinner.   ;D

Whatever you serve, make it home maid and everyone will be thrilled.

Paul.

I am worried about chairs more than food, I am always known for cooking too much.

I am gonna do a dry-brined natural turkey (Spatchcocked of course). Stuffing will be cooked under the turkey for the first 45 minutes, and then held until the turkey is done to be warmed back up. Standard homemade Cranberry Sauce, and doing my "famous" roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, onions in a mustard vinaigrette. I just added roasted sweet potatoes to my list because my mom has decided that white potatoes are evil.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »
I'll be at my Dad's, so not much cooking for me. I do plan on making some cranberry sauce with the last of my cranberries from this year's harvest. My 4-year old should get a kick out of watching/hearing them all pop as they cook up.

I'll probably bring some Sriracha chevre as well. Unfortunately I might have to use store bought cheese as I don't think I'll have time to make up a fresh batch before T-day.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »
I'll be at my Dad's, so not much cooking for me. I do plan on making some cranberry sauce with the last of my cranberries from this year's harvest. My 4-year old should get a kick out of watching/hearing them all pop as they cook up.

I'll probably bring some Sriracha chevre as well. Unfortunately I might have to use store bought cheese as I don't think I'll have time to make up a fresh batch before T-day.

I'm 27 and I still get a kick out of the cranberries popping!

Otherwise, the wife and I just tested out a new roasted squash and tart apple soup that was quite good. Gonna need another test to cut through the sweetness. Still need some test batches on the veggie pot pie. Turns out poultry seasoning is great on tofu. The pumpkin chocolate cheesecake is going to be vegan this year, not that that is too much of a change. Looking forward to the broccoli and green bean casseroles as well.

Thanksgiving is by far the best holiday!
Kyle M.

Offline BrewBama

Thanksgiving is Coming!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:51:28 pm »
We always cook at our place. I usually fry one turkey and smoke/roast the other on the WSM. We have a bazillion every year: 4 kids 4 grand kids, SIL, niece, friends with kids, etc, etc. Boat load of food, great beer, football, and a triptophan induced comma.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:56:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 08:32:39 pm »
I may or may not do any cooking on Thanksgiving..............I may or may not go hunting that morning..........

But one thing is for sure.  I will be drinking home-brewed saison along with Wild Turkey bourbon as I watch my Philadelphia Eagles kick the snot out of the Dallas Cowboys as well as the same time watching the wax melt off of Jerry Jones' face.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 06:29:28 am »

........watching the wax melt off of Jerry Jones' face.

Nice. I'm surprised the Dallas heat hasn't melted his face like a crayon. Maybe the Botox holds it together.    ;)

Full disclosure - I'm a longtime Cowboy hater.
Jon H.