Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry yeast cell counts  (Read 17807 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: dry yeast cell counts
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:42 am »

one packet (11 grams) in 1.050 is just fine. I'd even go one packet in 5 gallons of 1.070 and not worry about it.

+1. I prefer liquid cultures but have used dry yeast many times for short notice brewing.  When I get up around 1.075-ish I'll use 2 packets. Up to that point 1 has worked perfectly fine for me.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:03 am »

one packet (11 grams) in 1.050 is just fine. I'd even go one packet in 5 gallons of 1.070 and not worry about it.

+1. I prefer liquid cultures but have used dry yeast many times for short notice brewing.  When I get up around 1.075-ish I'll use 2 packets. Up to that point 1 has worked perfectly fine for me.

awesome guys thanks for the info-good timing as in an hour i will be pitching the rehydrated yeast.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 08:53:07 am »

I've only done counts on US-05 (and only a few) but it runs 20 billion/gram, give or take.

and manufacturer list 6BB/gr for US-05...go figure.

so perhaps experience can weigh in here. for avg 1.050 ale with target of approx 185-200BB- a.) have you pitched 1 pack with good results or where there signs of under pitching, or b) have you pitched 2 or 3 packs with good results or where there signs of over pitching.

I suspect the manufacturers estimate low in order to prevent complains. of course they also say 200b cells per packet which, by the way is just about 20b/gram

So your experience is that one packet isn't under pitching? Just asking because 6b/gr is a long way off from 20b/g

that has been my experience. I have been dinged in competition for too few esters pitching 1 packet of us-05 into 5 gallons of 1.065 IPA
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 09:10:39 am »
Nothing specific, but it just strikes me as strange that yeasts from the same manufacturer would vary so widely.

The cell count per gram delta is due to yeast cell size. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:23 am »
So your experience is that one packet isn't under pitching? Just asking because 6b/gr is a long way off from 20b/g

You are reading the specification incorrectly.  The number listed is the lower bound, not the upper bound or actual cell count.  For those who have studied computer science (comp sci), think of the number as Ω(cell_count_per_gram), not O(cell_count_per_gram) or Ɵ(cell_count_per_gram).  Comp sci types can also think of yeast cell growth as O(2n).  I know that comparing yeast cell counts to asymptotic growth rates is a weird analogy, but hopefully it helps a few forum readers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:36:12 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 10:44:49 am »
Other than "I'm reading the specification incorrectly", I don't understand but take your experienced word!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 10:54:29 am »
Other than "I'm reading the specification incorrectly", I don't understand but take your experienced word!

basically he's saying that 6b/gram is the lowest cell count you can expect to encounter within the best by window.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 11:32:01 am »

basically he's saying that 6b/gram is the lowest cell count you can expect to encounter within the best by window.

ok. i pitched 1 packet so lets see how she rolls. thanks again.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

Thanks, Jonathan!  Sometimes, it is difficult to remember that terms like "lower bound" are foreign to many people.  It's one of those terms that people with comp sci, engineering, or math backgrounds take for granted.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Thanks, Jonathan!  Sometimes, it is difficult to remember that terms like "lower bound" are foreign to many people.  It's one of those terms that people with comp sci, engineering, or math backgrounds take for granted.

yes sir-no engineer here  ;D i did sleep at a holiday inn last night
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 10:31:27 am »

well took off in about 7 hours and is like a tornado in there ripping through those sugars with a vengeance.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 12:32:04 pm »

What the specification sheet from Fermentis says is- in a typical analysis you will see greater than 6 billion cells per gram at packaging.  This is different from the number of cells you can expect to get, as that number will depend on a number of factors- such as storage and rehydration.

I have pitched 1 and 2 packs of US-05 into 1.060 worts and liked the results of both, no real distinction between the two. I have also pitched 1 rehydrated and one straight into equal worts and noticed no ascertainable difference in the resulting beers.

What my experience has shown me is that there is a very wide range of "pitching rates" which will make very good beer. Chasing down a specific number that is in the billions is futile. Consistency with your processes is far more important to me. You have to decide for yourself what you like.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »
What my experience has shown me is that there is a very wide range of "pitching rates" which will make very good beer. Chasing down a specific number that is in the billions is futile. Consistency with your processes is far more important to me. You have to decide for yourself what you like.

Bingo!  That's what I have been saying since I joined the forum.  Far too many brewers are fretting over the numbers provided by pitching calculators.  Yeast cultures are like atomic weapons in that one does not need pin-point accuracy in order to obtain effective results, especially when using extremely forgiving yeast cultures such as Siebel Bry 96 (a.k.a. Ballantine "Beer" Brewery, "Chico," Wy1056, WLP001, US-05 ...) and Whitbread "B" (a.k.a. NCYC 1026, Wy1098, WLP007, S-04 ...).

Offline mblanks2

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 04:26:09 am »

well took off in about 7 hours and is like a tornado in there ripping through those sugars with a vengeance.

You should have no issues at all with this strain at this gravity. As stated earlier by others, I've had great performance up to 1.070 with one package. I do rehydrate, though.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 04:27:55 am »

You should have no issues at all with this strain at this gravity. As stated earlier by others, I've had great performance up to 1.070 with one package. I do rehydrate, though.

Seems so. I rehydrated yeast also.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde