Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Stout, Need Little Direction  (Read 4773 times)

Offline mmuniz276

• Cellarman
First Stout, Need Little Direction
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
Whats up Guys,
So I am about 5 days into my primary fermentation, I used WLP002 and made a big yeast starter. My air lock has stopped like normal and this is about the time I would be dry hopping and racking into my secondary (i have only made ipa's and pale ales). My question is because I dont need to dry hop, should I just let it ride in the primary? If so how long? Or should it go in the secondary so its not sitting on a huge bed of dead and or unactive yeast cells.
Thanks guys

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First Stout, Need Little Direction
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:48:18 pm »
I would let it ride minimum of two weeks, maybe longer. Wait until it is finished and don't bother with secondary unless you are adding ingredients or aging for a long time. The tried and true method of telling if it is done is two identical gravity readings two or three days apart.

Honestly I wait three weeks most of the time just out of laziness or lack of clean kegs/bottles.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:50:55 pm »
One week is sufficient.  Two weeks is better.

Racking to secondary is unnecessary unless you plan on keeping the beer in primary for a couple of MONTHS.  In the first 6 weeks or so, there is zero risk of yeast autolysis unless you were to friggin cook it at 100 F or something stupid like that.

Let it ride for a little while, then keg or bottle.  It's all good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mmuniz276

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »
Sounds good guys, Yea I was worried about the beer sitting on yeast, But its in a temp control chamber so all good there. Thanks guys

Online BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:06:15 am »

Honestly I wait three weeks most of the time just out of laziness or lack of clean kegs/bottles.

+1 to laziness and no clean kegs/bottles.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:31:07 am »

+1 to laziness and no clean kegs/bottles.

+2
Jon H.

Offline mmuniz276

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »
wish I can keg, Bottle washing is gettin old fast

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »
+1 to leaving most of my beers in primary for 2-3 weeks. Laziness plus giving the yeast more than enough time they need for their fermentation party and cleaning up after themselves after.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:46 am »
I too let it ride for about 2 to 3 weeks and that allows the yeast to clean up any potential nasty side-effects of fermentation.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »
Also, what temp did you mash at?

Offline mmuniz276

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »
What do you mean by ''mash"? Its a extract with some grains thrown in. Those were about 155F for 50mins and 160-170 for the last 10ish mins

Thank you

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:57:41 am »
oh haha ignore that, for some reason i thought this was a partial mash recipe. keep in mind that extract is only about 80% fermentable. what was your OG and what is the SG now?

Offline mmuniz276

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:34 am »
The OG was 1.057 and I ill take a reading when I am about to bottle, I dont like to open the fermenter up. i am shooting for a FG: 1.019

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:44:01 am »
1.019 should be possible. Has there been any activity recently?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »
The OG was 1.057 and I ill take a reading when I am about to bottle, I dont like to open the fermenter up. i am shooting for a FG: 1.019

if you don't take a reading until you bottle how do you know your done before bottling? it might be fine 9 out of 10 times but that 10th time could be a big mess with exploding bottles. the only time I've had bottle bombs the beer had spent two or three months in primary. but it was stalled and hadn't finished. I finally got impatient and bottled only to have fermentation start up again in the bottle.

you should get over your fear of opening the fermenter. nothing is going to jump in there and ruin the beer and you can't know what's going on in there without measuring.

to paraphrase Denny, if you can't take a gravity reading without infecting your beer, perhaps you should take up knitting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce