Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noodles & Pasta  (Read 24811 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Noodles & Pasta
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »
Something about honeycomb tripe, in particular, that weirds me out.  I'm sure it is quite nice, but can't get the mind past it.  I could probably handle it ground up with other meat though.  I have eaten enough hot dogs in my life!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
Ever have andoullie sausage? Thats made with tripe.

My grandmother would make this when we were kids. It was terrifying to us to go there and have eat it.

Back them we had to clear our plate before leaving the table. I cant tell you how many times I left my grandmothers table with tripe in my pocket, but it was a few.

Then years later after my grandma went on ahead I learned to love it.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
Ever have andoullie sausage? Thats made with tripe.

Can't make jumbalaya without it!!!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »
I like a good organ in the blues or jazz...but that's about it. On my plate is another subject... :-\
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:53 pm »
I like a good organ............

Snicker.....hehehehe.........
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:17 am »
Made a great pasta last night!  Homemade spinach tagliatelle in a basic tomato sauce (homemade, of course!) with a dollop of lemon-pepper mascarpone and some julienned basil.  Served with a caprese salad and paired with French rosé.  Buon appetito!

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 08:30:48 am »
Matt...that looks fantastic!

Noodlemania at it's finest.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 09:32:17 am »
Thanks!  It's definitely going in my summer rotation.   8)

Pizza night tonight...woohoo!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
Thread resurrection!

It's getting cooler here so I'll be slurping more noodle soup. Made a quick hot and sour noodles with grilled shrimp and smoked bacon.

I used the Caravelle Hot and Sour soup paste. It's a tom yum base. Added a little soy and fish sauce to punch it up a bit. The noodles were new to me from the local grocer- King Soba noodle culture organic Thai Rice Noodles. I really like these noodles. They retained their toothiness and didn't get soggy like rice noodles tend to do.

Spicy!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »
Sort of pasta/dough related, but does anyone have a good recipe for dough that gives a good deep fry result?  We did samosas but the shortening/flour dough basically tasted like fried pie crust...good in its way, but the wife was hoping for something more like what they make crab rangoon with...wonton dough, is it?  Samosas are a bit like deep fried ravioli or pierogi.

Somosa dough traditionaly has some graham flour and some chickpea flour in it. that is was gives it the nice flaky crust but with more flavor than pie crust. also probably you could use ghee instead of shortening. I wouildn't use wonton wrappers for somosas I don't think the poportion of dough to filling would be right. the skin should be about 1/8 inch thick and a wonton wrapper is just to thin.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 11:39:51 am »
Dragging this old thread out...

Been eating lots and lots of pasta. But I'm back to making my own. Been making it two ways:

Egg based

3 eggs. 2 cups all purpose flour (sub durum for one if desired). One half teaspoon salt. Basically it's one egg per 2/3 cup flour if you want smaller batches.

Water based

Two cups all purpose flour (sub durum for one if desired). One half teaspoon salt dissolved in 1/2 cup piping hot water. Two tbs of olive-oil.

The process:

I do mine in the food processor. Mix dry ingredients and then add the eggs. Should start to come together to form a ball, but if it actually forms a ball then the dough will most likely be too soft. Add a few drops of water if the dough is still too dry. Pull the dough out and form a ball in your hands. It shouldn't be crumbly or sticky but nearly plastic at this point. Wrap tightly with cling-film and rest in the fridge for at least one hour- overnight is better. This will result in a firm dough that cuts well without sticking together.

The water-based is made the same but cut in the fat and then add 1/4 cup of the water initially, then drizzling the rest into the dough as the processor runs. I like to take it to just before a ball forms and form it myself. Wrap and rest overnight.

The important points are getting the consistency right and the overnight rest- especially if using durum wheat. Too much liquid and the resulting dough is too soft and while it still makes delicious pasta it cooks far too rapidly and is problematic to make into noodles. With an overnight rest even the durum will soften resulting in a non-gritty pasta that is workable and makes smooth non sticky noodles.

Roll the dough through the machine until desired thickness- I like to roll to a three (one is the thinnest with my machine) and run the sheet through the thin noodle cutter. This gives me spaghetti type. Or I can make fettuccine with the wider cutter.

After cutting the noodles toss in a little flour to insure they don't stick together. Dry out or cook them in generously salted water and enjoy some of the best pasta you will ever have. Cooking times are shorter, but YMMV.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 12:04:22 pm »
I've been making a lot of pasta lately, too.  I use a mix of 50% semolina and 50% AP flour.  I start with 100 gr. dry mixture and 1 egg per person, add more liquid if needed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
Yeah the ol kitchenaid has been earning it's place on the counter of late in my house as well.

I never really bother with much of a rest though. I use 100% semolina, sometimes I get the whole wheat semolina but usually just use the polished. Can't really give proportions but it's about a pound of semolina to 2 or 3 eggs, a tablespoon or so of EVOO a healthy pinch of salt and enough water to make it up to about 2 thirds a cup of liquid. Mine is not consistant and I am sure it could be if I took notes ::) Makes a pretty stiff dough but since I don't have to kneed it I don't really care.

Roll to a 4 or 5 on the kitchenaid roller and cut with the wide cutter or leave in sheets and make lasagna, or cut even wider by hand and make tagliatelli. I have the extruder attachement as well but I rarely use it as I have not found a dough recipe that really works and my elbow noodles collapse on themselves.

also do udon style with 25% buckwheat and 75% AP, no eggs in that but boy does it get sticky.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »
Oh man you should rest your dough. Really is a big difference! I'm making the dough the night before while enjoying a HB and pull it out of the fridge to warm it up a bit when I want to use it. For me about 4 oz dough is plenty for one person so I'll just cut off and weigh a chunk of it out. Re wrap the remainder and back in the fridge.

Any recommendations on extruding pasta? I have an Atlas roller that I got for $30 a few years back, but want to be able to make tube-shapes. Figure some plastic jobbie won't do the trick since that dough should be really stiff.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:21 pm »
Oh man you should rest your dough. Really is a big difference! I'm making the dough the night before while enjoying a HB and pull it out of the fridge to warm it up a bit when I want to use it. For me about 4 oz dough is plenty for one person so I'll just cut off and weigh a chunk of it out. Re wrap the remainder and back in the fridge.

Any recommendations on extruding pasta? I have an Atlas roller that I got for $30 a few years back, but want to be able to make tube-shapes. Figure some plastic jobbie won't do the trick since that dough should be really stiff.

I rest it for about 20 minutes but more often than not it's a 'honey what do you want for dinner?' 'Pasta!' situation. I find that if I make it ahead of time it ends up gettign little black spots on it in the fridge in a couple of days. sometimes I will roll out a batch and wrap in plastic and be ready to go a day or two later.

I can't really recomend the kitchen aid extruder as I have only used mine a couple of times and I did not get the dough stiff enough. It's plastic but seems fairly beefy and the plates are metal. It's also the base unit for the sausage filler for all y'all meat eaters. But I love all the other kitchenaid gadgets I have and it might be great I just don't have the experience. I even thought about getting the grain mill attachement but it is a corona style mill better for flour than brewing.

If you don't have one and are looking to drop a couple hundred on a great kitchen tool I will recomend the kitchenaid in general. I have the ice cream maker, the slicer shreader (although I use my mandoline more often) and the pasta roller set which gets used alot.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce