Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 5540 times)

Offline josephmcateer

• 1st Kit
Insurance
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
In the newest Zymurgy, it is stated that the AHA is going to allow clubs to sign up for insurance. Can anyone provide me with more information? Thanks!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:29:34 pm »
Crispy posted this on Facebook back on June 18th

Christopher Frey The AHA still needs to finalize some details as does the agent, but I am hopeful the details will be forthcoming in 30 days or so.

So I bet details will be coming soon...
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:48 pm »
Subbed.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:23:12 pm »
In the AHA member meeting in Grand Rapids, Crispy (and the agent, can't remember the name) indicated that the insurance would be general and alcohol policies, and is expected to be $3.50 per member per year. I believe the company is Cincinnati Insurance. I, for one, as the current president of my club, am eagerly awaiting further details. We currently insure the club (meaning officers) and our events for more than 10X that price.

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:47:48 pm »
Yeah the $3.50 per a member price that Crispy announced would end up being about $300.00 less a year than what we're paying for all of our insurance as well.  Kudos to those that were able to get this program lined up.  Looking forward to it getting rolled out.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:28:05 am »
My club is interested in the insurance too.  How will the word get out?  We really look forward to this, and are thankful that it will be offered.
There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:15:32 am »
It's been a pretty important topic for the past few years. I'm betting a post to the forums here, a write up on the AHA website, and possibly an email blast to the AHA Membership.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:02:34 am »
I definitely expect the AHA will broadcast the final details thoroughly. The more clubs that sign up will make it easier to negotiate the price downward on the policy renewal.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline deathrider

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:27:13 pm »
Our club is also looking forward to this awesome offer by the AHA. Hoping to hear about it soon!
Paul Brown
current DOZE pres.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:19:49 am »
It is official, the AHA has a signed agreement with West's Insurance, which is now providing a package of General Liability ($1M/$3M) and Liquor Liability ($1M/$3M) insurance for AHA Registered homebrew clubs, covering meetings and events with up to 1000 attendees. The cost to clubs is just $3.50/member (paid in one lump sum to West's).  The initial enrollment deadline is September 1, though clubs will be allowed to enroll at various times following that deadline.  The program is dependent on getting enough clubs signed up by September 1 for the underwriter to justify moving forward, so we are hoping to have several clubs enroll before the deadline.

We have a post on HomebrewersAssociation.org: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/american-homebrewers-association-rolls-out-homebrew-club-insurance-program/.

Details on coverage can be found on the West's Insurance website at http://westinsurance.com/homebrew-home.html.  Questions about the coverage should be directed to West's, as they are the experts on this program.

The AHA has opted not to receive any financial compensation from the program, as we wish to keep the enrollment cost low and maximize the number of clubs that can take advantage of this great insurance product.  There was clearly a need for an affordable, nationwide insurance option for clubs that includes liquor liability and we are very please to assist clubs in meeting that need.

Cheers!
Gary
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline deathrider

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »
Great News! Thanks AHA and Gary!
DOZE
Paul Brown
current DOZE pres.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
I highly encourage clubs to take advantage of this.
This IS the real deal, and has been a long time coming. 

Please Try to sign your club up before the September 1 enrollment.

Thanks

It is official, the AHA has a signed agreement with West's Insurance, which is now providing a package of General Liability ($1M/$3M) and Liquor Liability ($1M/$3M) insurance for AHA Registered homebrew clubs, covering meetings and events with up to 1000 attendees. The cost to clubs is just $3.50/member (paid in one lump sum to West's).  The initial enrollment deadline is September 1, though clubs will be allowed to enroll at various times following that deadline.  The program is dependent on getting enough clubs signed up by September 1 for the underwriter to justify moving forward, so we are hoping to have several clubs enroll before the deadline.

We have a post on HomebrewersAssociation.org: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/american-homebrewers-association-rolls-out-homebrew-club-insurance-program/.

Details on coverage can be found on the West's Insurance website at http://westinsurance.com/homebrew-home.html.  Questions about the coverage should be directed to West's, as they are the experts on this program.

The AHA has opted not to receive any financial compensation from the program, as we wish to keep the enrollment cost low and maximize the number of clubs that can take advantage of this great insurance product.  There was clearly a need for an affordable, nationwide insurance option for clubs that includes liquor liability and we are very please to assist clubs in meeting that need.

Cheers!
Gary
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline shockerengr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:18 am »
Will further details be provided prior to Sep 1?  A number of aspects are still vague.  It's not clear to me at least who counts as a member and how the membership number is to be calculated.  As that's directly tied to the cost, it seems important to be defined.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:22 am »
Will further details be provided prior to Sep 1?  A number of aspects are still vague.  It's not clear to me at least who counts as a member and how the membership number is to be calculated.  As that's directly tied to the cost, it seems important to be defined.

Agreed.  I'm a bit concerned about the lack of info so close to the deadline.  After our club Executive Committee meets and formulates their questions, I'm gonna directly email Luke at West.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:34 pm »

Every physical body that is part of the dues paying structure. (e.g. member or each person in a family member) is counted.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny