Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeasty Smell?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
Yeasty Smell?
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:16 am »
Last Sunday I transferred my fermenting beer into a secondary, dry-hopped, capped it off, and put it back in the closet. Then I went out of state for a few days. I came home last night. 6 days in primary carboy, then another 5 days in secondary. This morning, I came downstairs to a strong smell. Seems to be emanating from the closet. Should I be worried?   :-\
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Yeasty Smell?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:19:31 am »
What do you mean by "capped it off"? If you sealed the secondary without a way for pressure to release (like an airlock) and the beer was still fermenting then you might have blown up your fermentor. You can quickly resolve that issue by looking in the closet.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:44:30 am »
It was California Ale White Labs WLP001 yeast added at 68-70 F - the primary fermentation went awesome, and the gravity reading I took at secondary transfer was 1.014ish. The color and taste were both excellent, I thought.

Yes, I meant Pressure-release cap.

Thanks!
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:02:28 am »
so what did you see when you opened the closet? or is this a Schrodinger's cat thing? Until I open the door the beer is both good and bad.

The transfer to secondary probably slowed your fermentation down as you removed much of the yeast from the beer. It then got going again and fermented some more hence the smell.

Also, I'm still not 100% clear, was the fermenter sealed or was there an airlock?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:26 am »
What does the beer look like?  Have you tasted it?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:44 am »
FWIW, when I used to transfer to secondary to dry hop (I dry hop in keg now), I waited a couple weeks until the beer was done fermenting and dropped fairly clear before transferring. I can't see any need to transfer actively fermenting beer, and as mentioned it can actually disrupt your beer from fermenting/attenuating fully.
Jon H.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:12:01 am »
It was an airlock with some water in it. Sorry, this is my very first ever homebrew. It's an Organic IPA - all grain.

not sure how to upload an image.. but it tasted excellent when I sampled during transfer to secondary.

We'll drink to that.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:56 am »
I'm going to guess there was additional fermentation in the secondary and/or that the hops knocked some CO2 out of suspension and that's where the yeasty smell came from.

I've had some beers (typically Belgian) that smell strongly of yeast in the fermenter but once they drop clear and are in the glass no worries.

Since it's your first ever, the recommendation to wait and be patient before dry hopping and/or transferring is one of the very best you will ever get.  Patience is important, don't rush the beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:16 am »
It was an airlock with some water in it. Sorry, this is my very first ever homebrew. It's an Organic IPA - all grain.

not sure how to upload an image.. but it tasted excellent when I sampled during transfer to secondary.

No worries, Jason. We all started somewhere. I wish this forum had been around when I started - there's always somebody here to help. Here's a link on posting pics here :

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20.0
Jon H.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 11:33:06 am »
Awesome! Thanks guys! I will create a folder online to host my beer related pics.

Cheers!

:D

We'll drink to that.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:39:15 am »
I wish this forum had been around when I started - there's always somebody here to help.

I know there were Bulletin Boards (BBS for us old people) but I don't recall even using e-mail back then.

Maybe on America On-line.  But I don't remember too much about that service.  Dial-up, baby.  You were hot if you had a 1200 baud modem.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:47:39 am »
I wish this forum had been around when I started - there's always somebody here to help.

I know there were Bulletin Boards (BBS for us old people) but I don't recall even using e-mail back then.

Maybe on America On-line.  But I don't remember too much about that service.  Dial-up, baby.  You were hot if you had a 1200 baud modem.

Oh yeah, 1200 was cooking !  But the info (and variety of ingredients)has gotten so much better. Different ballgame.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 11:48:56 am »

I used the rec.crafts.brewing Usenet group when I started brewing in 98.  "Met" Mike Dixon there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:54:02 am »
I remember using the old Cat's Meow database, RealBeer page among others, scouring for recipes and ideas. Pretty hit and miss, to say the least !
Jon H.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:05 pm »
You guys are cracking me up! I've been working in tech/software/internet for 22+ years. I remember the speeds... crazy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongael/14359694364/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongael/14360571275/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongael/14380758193/

these were from the transfer day.. I will try to get a decent pic of the beer now.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:18:25 pm by jasongael »

We'll drink to that.