Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Am I being too anal?  (Read 10502 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Am I being too anal?
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »
In my ongoing quest to make my brewing process as perfect as possible, I've hit an impasse - I can't figure out if it even is a problem.  And then, I don't know how to fix it anyway.  Here's the essence of it:

Cold crashing wort after fermentation causes the beer to condense; the consequence of which is the intake of air (or starsan).

Obviously installing a filter will prevent any spoilers from getting in, but I also think about staling brought on by post-fermentation exposure to oxygen.

So is the amount of oxygen so small as to be insignificant?  If true then yes indeed, I am being too anal.

Do pro-breweries address this?  If so, what do they do?

No, I have not experienced any of the negative effects this post is concerned with, I'm just trying to fine-tune my process.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:50:50 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Am I being to anal?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »
I use a solid stopper for this reason... A little bit of a vacuum created in the fermenter but I've never had an issue with it.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »
I think you are probably being a little too anal.  The addition of a little starsan is no problem, and the amount of oxygen that may be pulled in is negligible when compared to the amount introduced when racking to a bottling bucket or keg (assuming they are not purged).

It is honestly something that I have never considered in the past and would not worry too much about it, but that is me.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »
I cold crash in the keg while I force carb - when the outside air gets a chance to find equilibrium, that means the keg just kicked and I'm cleaning it.  But when I crashed in the fermenter I always felt that the air must've been sitting on top of the heavier blanket of CO2, because my beer wasn't oxidized from it. I'm just more confident crashing in the keg now.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:13:24 pm »
I think you are probably being a little too anal.  The addition of a little starsan is no problem, and the amount of oxygen that may be pulled in is negligible when compared to the amount introduced when racking to a bottling bucket or keg (assuming they are not purged).

It is honestly something that I have never considered in the past and would not worry too much about it, but that is me.

I agree with all of this.  In addition, by the time you;re ready to crash it, there's no need to use an airlock.  Use a stopper like Dan suggested, or do what I do...rubber band some foil or plastic wrap over the top.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
Glad I read this post from you Denny. I will use this process the next I cold crash: hopefully 2 batches 2 weeks from now

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 03:59:18 pm »

I agree with all of this.  In addition, by the time you;re ready to crash it, there's no need to use an airlock.  Use a stopper like Dan suggested, or do what I do...rubber band some foil or plastic wrap over the top.

You always have the high-tech solution.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:24 pm »
RDWHAHB was coined for a reason.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:02:27 pm »
It is absolutely best to limit o2 exposure wherever possible. But as I learned from a conversion with another forum member recently, on unfiltered beer oxidation damage is much less of a concern. I don't think the vacuum you are creating is a problem. I do think that lagering in stainless with positive co2 pressure is your best option, however.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 07:11:42 pm »
There is only so much you can do about it if you are using a carboy. Even if you use a solid stopper then as soon as you take the stopper off it will suck in the ambient air. I guess you could put on a solid stopper, then crash cool and then let it warm back up before you transfer it. Also, you can use a solid stopper, then crash cool and then open the carboy and shoot in a few blasts of co2 before you close it back up. Not sure it is something to worry about, but if you are trying to save beer for a long time, the less oxygen the better.

Professional breweries have pressurizable conical tanks. Usually you will cap off the tank with just a little bit of fermentation left to go to start building up some pressure inside the tank. This allows the pressurized co2 to just be absorbed into the beer once it cools down, and even when you open the tank after chilling there is positive pressure.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:48 pm »
This problem is not a problem.  I'd be more concerned about having lacto infested malt within 500 meters of my fermentor.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »
If you really want to be anal, wort after fermentation is called "beer."  :P

All that being said.  Don't worry about the star san and limit the 02 and you'll be fine.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:05 am »

All that being said.  Don't worry about the star san and limit the 02 and you'll be fine.

If you really want to be anal, add another "o" in your title.  ;)

I don't think the O2 makes much difference in your case, but I suppose you could add a blanket of CO2 before crashing cooling to limit it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:25 am »

If you really want to be anal, add another "o" in your title.  ;)

I don't think the O2 makes much difference in your case, but I suppose you could add a blanket of CO2 before crashing cooling to limit it.

...or purge your entire fermentation chamber with CO2 before you crash. I'd recommend wearing a respirator around the brewery if you go this route.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline porterpounder

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:51 am »
I heard somewhere recently of a guy using a cask breather on his fermenter during cold crash to avoid oxygen influx. Seems a bit of overkill, but then again, that's what we do.