Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: question for comp organizers/staff  (Read 4945 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
question for comp organizers/staff
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:04 am »
the software that most everyone uses seems to include a default for packing that goes something like this:

"Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Do not over pack! Write clearly: "Fragile. This Side Up." on the package. Your package should weigh less than 25 pounds. Please refrain from using "messy" packaging materials such a Styrofoam "peanuts" or pellets; please use packaging material such as bubble wrap.

Enclose your each of your bottle labels in a small zip-top bag before attaching to their respective bottles. This way it makes it possible for the organizer to identify specifically which beer has broken if there is damage during shipment."

unpacking almost 1000 bottles yesterday we had ONE that was leaking.  None broken. 
my question to organizers/staff has to do with the "small zip-top bag" around each bottle label.  It seems like this creates a lot of work, when bottle breakage is very rare.  As a new competitor some years ago I asked several organizers if they wanted the ziplocs.  Everyone said no.  Since then I've never used a trash bag or zip-tops. 

So, are the zip-tops something organizers/staff truly want?

thanks--
--Michael
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:42:30 am by udubdawg »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: question for comp organizers/staff
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:13:25 am »
I never asked for that. Waste of plastic bags too. I suppose the problem though is that some ink jet printer ink is very water soluble, so if one bottle breaks they all might be unreadable.

I also question "do not overpack". Not sure what it really means but the last thing you want is loose bottles knocking around. It is the opposite of how shipping companies tell you to pack fragile items.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:15:36 am »
Have always really hated when people use ziploc bags or plastic wrap. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:42:41 am »
I sent entries in once with ziplock bags but determined it was too much work.  In all the entries I've sent, I have only had one break (and I suspect that was once it was there not during shipping...just a suspicion).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:23 am »
My favorite is when entrants use packaging tape to seal their entry labels, then use color coded rubber bands to identify the matching pairs of entries.

It's pretty sad that I have a favorite way for entry packing...
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:00 am »
Glad to know I can stop wasting my zip lock bags...

It does seem like overkill, but whatever. 

My shipments of wine have never come in any sort of secondary water tight container and they've never arrived broken.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:12:55 am »
The cynical POV is that it doesn't really matter what instructions you provide since people won't follow them.

The two things I would really like to get across are no tape inside the box and no peanuts. I think I can live with the other stuff.

Think about the way commercial beer is packed. Inside thin cardboard six pack holders inside of a box. Nothing else. Obviously the people shipping commercial beer know it is beer but all you really have to is avoid movement within the box and avoid glass to glass contact.

I always did one perforated sheet of bubble wrap per bottle held on with a rubber band. Then I lined the box with a garbage bag and filled any loose space with newsprint.

I can pack a box very fast that way and I can unpack a box very fast that way. I've shipped hundreds of beers that way and zero have broken.

This could be confirmation bias but it seems that the broken bottles are often in elaborately packed boxes.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:30:11 am »
I never use the zip lock bags for my entires.  I do use a garbage bag to line the box though.  I've had a bottle break during shipping... and it caused them to not deliver my package... they didn't return it either... Just stole everything I guess.  I tried to do get reimbursed and it fell on def ears.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:57 am »
Think about the way commercial beer is packed. Inside thin cardboard six pack holders inside of a box. Nothing else. Obviously the people shipping commercial beer know it is beer but all you really have to is avoid movement within the box and avoid glass to glass contact.

But the commercial guys don't need to worry about UPS trying to kick 40 yard field goals in the warehouse with their packages  ;D

The only tape I put in the box is to secure the bubble wrap and then it's only a small strip.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:47:53 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:05 am »
hmmmm... Having never worked behind the scenes in a competition, I have always done the sandwich bag thing.  Not really so much because of being worried about bottles breaking - always been more concerned about bottles "sweating" from warming and cooling and making the labels unreadable.  But, if that is not a problem, it would certainly be nice to get rid of that step.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 07:14:57 pm »
I'll be rubber banding my bubble wrap from now on. Sorry Seattle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:26:55 am »

Whadya do? Duct tape the bubble wrap on?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:11 am »
the 'best' packing job I've ever seen was when someone used this black spray foam insulation and shot some in the box and then applied a layer and kept repeating this until the box was full of a big square of rubbery foam... and by best I mean worst.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10:32 am »

Whadya do? Duct tape the bubble wrap on?
Cable ties and hose clamps.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 09:05:15 am »
On a somewhat related topic, does anybody else feel that it should not be against the rules to have the style number written on the caps?  I leave it on in spite of the rules for two reasons: 1) it verifies that the cellar people don't mix up the entries I send in and 2) in every competition in this state, a label immediately goes onto the cap.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995