Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mustard?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Mustard?
« on: March 09, 2014, 02:42:14 pm »
Did yall know Seirra Nevada makes mustard? I was at the Natural Grocers and I saw it. They had 3 varieties. I picked up the hot one. I was looking at the ingredients and the 4th one was Porter. I had it on a burger today and it is some good stuff.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Mustard?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:01 pm »
It's been around since 2002 at least, maybe longer. The pale ale on fresh focaccia is very good.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:56:53 am »
It's one of my favorite 'fancy' mustards.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:22:19 am »
Mustard is so ridiculously cheap and easy to make there is no need to buy it. I made a stoneground (coarse) with some homebrew dubbel that was rockin.

The seeds are readily available from most of your whole foods type bulk aisles. And cheaper than buying a can of Coleman's powdered mustard.

You'll have more control over the process and tailor to your tastes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:18 am »
makes me wonder if one could perform a lactic fermentation on said homemade mustard instead of using vinegar.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:58:44 am »
Mustard is so ridiculously cheap and easy to make there is no need to buy it. I made a stoneground (coarse) with some homebrew dubbel that was rockin.

The seeds are readily available from most of your whole foods type bulk aisles. And cheaper than buying a can of Coleman's powdered mustard.

You have a recipe for a starting point?  I have a bunch of mustard seeds, and have been planning to make some mustard, but have not found the round tuit and recipe yet.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:40 am »

You have a recipe for a starting point?  I have a bunch of mustard seeds, and have been planning to make some mustard, but have not found the round tuit and recipe yet.

There is a thread in here somewhere...

I have found that a lot of the mustard seeds I find in the grocery store are old, and don't provide the fresh sharp mustard flavor I like. I have gotten better results when I buy them from penzeys, and use them quickly thereafter.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:40 am »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:23:40 pm »
This has got to stop.  Now I have to try making my own mustard :o. We use Amora, the French equivalent of French's over here(but very deliciously spicy), but a jar that costs about one dollar in France costs about $10 over here and it's hard to find.  We usually just have friends and family mule it across the water to us. 
I went to Penzeys, ordered the seeds and some horseradish powder, I can't wait to start making another food item for the house.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:34:10 pm »
Sweet.  Thanks for the link.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »
Lol corky...

We won't stop! We can't stop...

That link is a blast from the past! I've made so much dang mustard that it is like second nature now. I'm making cheese regular, so whey will certainly be in my next batch. If'n I remember I'll report back.

My best results have been with homebrew though. Let it set out art room temp for a few days or so and that really seems to make a difference. Like dialing it up to 11.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »
Mrs. R made her first mustard recently. She used a blend of brown, yellow and hot Oriental yellow mustard seeds. She wanted a cup of beer that was not hoppy, so a yummy Doppelbock worked for that. It turned out very nice, good mustard flavors and a little spicy zing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21:00 pm »
Mrs. R made her first mustard recently. She used a blend of brown, yellow and hot Oriental yellow mustard seeds. She wanted a cup of beer that was not hoppy, so a yummy Doppelbock worked for that. It turned out very nice, good mustard flavors and a little spicy zing.

can I call your wife Mrs. R when I meet her Jeff?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 06:12:51 am »
I've been thinking about that old mustard thread lately.  I found a jar in the back of the fridge with about an 1" of the last batch from last Fall in it.  It's kind of watery and got me thinking I need to check out the new Indian market at the end of the street. 

Luckily next week is Spring Break and I have the week off.   ;D

I feel the same way about these food threads as Corky.  My wife will shoot me and order that chipper shredder if I pick up anymore "foodie" habits.  I haven't pulled the trigger on cheese making yet because I'd like to see my kids grow up.   ::)

Paul

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:18 am »

can I call your wife Mrs. R when I meet her Jeff?
No problem, she won't bat an eye.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!