Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indoor Hops?  (Read 15340 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Indoor Hops?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:13 am »
Damn, I better go look at mine.  I haven't even cut down the bines from last year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:24 am »
Damn, I better go look at mine.  I haven't even cut down the bines from last year.

+1

I haven't cut the bines down from last year's crop as well. I also didn't have time to havest the hop cones.  :(
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:29 am »

+1

I haven't cut the bines down from last year's crop as well. I also didn't have time to havest the hop cones.  :(

I harvested maybe 1/4-1/3 of of mine and then said screw it.  For the last 8 years, I've processed lbs. more than I've been able to use.  I decided to skip the useless effort this year.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »

+1

I harvested maybe 1/4-1/3 of of mine and then said screw it.  For the last 8 years, I've processed lbs. more than I've been able to use.  I decided to skip the useless effort this year.
I wish I had that problem.  For the first time in about 5 years I had enough to harvest and brew 2 batches with.  And I just cut down last years bines on Sunday because the new ones are peeking out of the dirt
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »
My guess is that unless you have a full glass conservatory, there won't be enough light for good growth. Even direct sunlight through a window isn't as good as outdoors unless that plant is directly in front of the window. Then again, it's OK if it's a little smaller.

Pot size can be overcome. What's really limiting plant growth with pot size is water and nutrients, so the right schedule of feeding and fertilizing should work. I've wondered about growing hops hydroponically. It could work really well for an indoor planting.

I must stop by next time I'm near Leadville (near = anywhere in CO).

Edit: Hydroponic hops in 5 gallon buckets of gravel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htaRSWDVv28
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:16:10 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »

+1

Looks you need to make hoppier beers, Denny  ;)
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »

No matter how hoppy I make them, it's hard to use up 19 lb. of Cascades in a year!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 02:58:42 pm »

No matter how hoppy I make them, it's hard to use up 19 lb. of Cascades in a year!

according to fmader and erock that's only like 15 gallons of beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 03:01:29 pm »

Haha... I don't think I could use 19 lb of cascades... However, I'm thinkjng about brewing a heavily hopped, cascade only stout for the fall  ;D
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »
That is a buttload of Cascade. I could put a good dent in it, but it would go further than 15 gallons. At least it's a great hop - not like being stuck with 19# of Fuggles, eh Denny ?   ;D 

Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 05:03:24 pm »

You can only fit about a pound of whole hops per gallon, silly. And you need to wring the wort out afterwards. Don't ask how I know that lol. Still waiting for that one to be drinkable. I call it "hop spinach" IPA.

So 19lbs would be maybe 30 gallons worth.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:25 am »
Weld a threaded rod to the bottom center of your boil kettle, then you can kind of cider-press the hops at flame out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:10 am »
Weld a threaded rod to the bottom center of your boil kettle, then you can kind of cider-press the hops at flame out.

:)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 08:19:36 am »

That's actually not a half-bad idea. Or at the very least, you could drop a false bottom on top of your hops and press the whole thing down. For the brew in question, I had to dump the wort/hop mass in my BIAB bag and wring it out. My "whirlpool" consisted of me pressing down on the hops with a slotted spoon to squeeze a bit of juice out in spots - like wringing out a massive sponge on top of itself.

So, if anyone was wondering what's the most amount of hops you can put in a beer, it's about 1 lb/gallon for whole hops. The verdict is still out on pellets...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 09:24:38 am »

Actually, a friend built something like that he calls the "Hop Screw".  Kinda like the press part of a cider press made out of SS.

www.dennybrew.com