Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: State Championships  (Read 4213 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
State Championships
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
Here in Florida we are in the midst of having two State-wide brewing competitions, one for homebrewers and one for pro brewers.  This year we have over 750 entries in the homebrew competition and 340 in the pro competition.  All from Florida
Does any other state do this or are we the only ones?
I gotta say this puts us on the map for craft beer, even if the state is otherwise known as a wasteland.
Tampa Bay Beer Week starts on March 1 if anybody is down this way.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: State Championships
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:12:53 pm »
The Michigan State Fair Homebrew Comp was around 750 to 800 entries about the time the State Fair went under due to lack of funds. You know, crappy economy up here around Replaced by the Michigan Beer Cup, but that is a little smaller.

We did not have a commercial competition. So my hat is off to Florida.

You are judging, correct?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:35 pm »
Sounds like a lot of fun and great to hear.  The Barons used to run the WI State Fair Homebrew Competition but that was for homebrew only and I don't think it ever got any higher than 250 entries.  That competition only allowed WI entrants.  I know there are more state fairs out their that have several more entries.  I've also been to fests that have had a pro competition associated with it, but not as many entries as you're talking about.  Hope you have enough judges to cover all of those entries!

FYI - I'm currently in the Tampa area now.  Was supposed to go back to Milwaukee today but flight cancelled due to a snow storm.  Currently enjoying a Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale and later tonight some Jai Alai IPA.  I wouldn't call the state a wasteland.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »
California does a state wide comp for both home and pro. The trophy is actually pretty bad ass.

Former prez from my club won it last year.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 04:33:05 pm »
California does a state wide comp for both home and pro. The trophy is actually pretty bad ass.

Former prez from my club won it last year.

Bad ass Golden Bear indeed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:55:43 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:47:05 pm »
that is awesome.  there's more great beer in Florida than I expected, and it gets better every time I go back.  Any movement on the weird <32 or >128 growler law?

I do hope we can eventually do a KS state championship, but until we can legally remove said beer from our home I figure we've got bigger fish to fry.  :(

cheers--
--Michael

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »
That Golden Bear trophy is way cool.
We started out associated with the Florida State Fair, but broke off about 12 years ago.  Nobody liked judging in the middle of the woodworking and pie contests.
I've been judging quite a bit.  Pro comp all day the 8th, homebrew comp all day the 9th, more homebrew all day the 15th, and homebrew finals the 22nd.  Lots of other events going on, too.  Check us out at www.BestFloridaBeer.org if you want.  It's a great time to be in Florida, especially Tampa.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:57 pm »
At least as of Christmas week 2013. That Goofy <32 or >128 law was still in effect. The only good thing about it was that I left Cigar City with 1 gallon of Tocobaga! But I now have a 1 gallon growler that nobody local will fill for me that I have found so far!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:23 pm »
At least as of Christmas week 2013. That Goofy <32 or >128 law was still in effect. The only good thing about it was that I left Cigar City with 1 gallon of Tocobaga! But I now have a 1 gallon growler that nobody local will fill for me that I have found so far!
There's a bill moving through legislation right now to get rid of that packaging law.  We may be able to have 1/2 gallon growlers soon.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:15 am »
I can't think of any comp like this in NH or New England.  Sam Adams used to do the Patriots Homebrew Competition which was only open to residents of the 6 NE states but they ended that.  And this was going to be my year, too!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 06:22:30 am »
Indiana does produce a championship contest for both the amateur and pro ranks. It is sponsored and held at the State Fair grounds, but fortunately not during the fair. The entries are not limited to only Indiana residents though. With over 1200 entries for the combined amateur and pro ranks, its a big event.

PS: Judges participating in this event are paid a stipend to cover their expenses. They are not 'bought'.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:10 am »
Delaware has a state fair competition in it's 4th year this year - homebrew only.

And the Maryland Brewers Association runs the Maryland Comptrollers Cup, a BJCP commercial beer competition. The Maryland State Comptroller is involved in picking and announcing the winner.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:38 am »
Washington has a Washington Homebrewer of the Year award (WHOTY), which is given based on entries in the big 5-6 competitions in the state. The State fair is one of the competitions, but is one of the smaller competitions that qualifies for WHOTY.

Last year was the first edition of the Washington Beer Awards, which is the state version of GABF, with the awards announced at the Washington Beer Festival on Father's Day weekend.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:26 am »
Washington has a Washington Homebrewer of the Year award (WHOTY), which is given based on entries in the big 5-6 competitions in the state. The State fair is one of the competitions, but is one of the smaller competitions that qualifies for WHOTY.

Last year was the first edition of the Washington Beer Awards, which is the state version of GABF, with the awards announced at the Washington Beer Festival on Father's Day weekend.

We have a Florida Circuit, too, consisting right now of seven competitions, plus the NHC.  We award Florida Homebrewer of the Year and Club of the Year.
But Best Florida Beer is the only one that requires the entrants to be either a resident or the member of a local club.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:39 pm »

To expand on this, the BOS winner of each of the WAHOTY qualifying competitions is allowed to submit an entry (e.g. 1 entry for each BOS you won) to be judged in a Best-Of-BOS competition known as the Bert Grant competition to crown the Bert Grant Award winner.  The WAHOTY is overall points based -- sort of WA's version of the Ninkasi.  The Bert Grant is the BOS winner - WA state equivalent to the NHC Homebrewer of the Year.

Needless to say, judging the Bert Grant is quite a treat!

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge