Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recommend some Pots and Pans  (Read 15117 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: recommend some Pots and Pans
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:58 pm »
I have the 8" revereware skillet. One of my favorites. Great for eggs. After testing my stuff with a magnet a number of my crew wouldn't make the cut for induction. The revereware is one of them. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »
I love cast iron and I have a bunch of different cast irons for my kitchen, camping to making jambalaya for 50 people.  I got rid of all my non stick skillets and now have a few ceramic skillets.

Like the ceramic Dutch oven, the ceramic skillets heat evenly and are non stick.  I actually like the ceramics better than stainless.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:31 am »
Hey, thanks for all the excellent thoughts and recommendations!
It helped me clear up my perceived needs considerably.

I am going to simmer a bit, and give it some more thought. :)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 03:47:49 pm »
I agree with Amanda, we what are you going to cook and what are you cooking on. IMO unless you are displaying them a set is a waste. Get what you need and will use.

We got a Martha Stewart anodized aluminum nonstick set from KMart before chick went to jail and I must say the set is awesome. It is getting a bit long in the tooth now and I don't know who has something similar but when they bite the dust I'll find a replacement for the pans we use day in and day out. I believe our favorite covered sauce pan was a wearever. Once it bit the dust we went to Amazon and ordered the exact same pan. You really can never go wrong with cast iron once it is seasoned.

One thing to think about is if you will put the pan into the oven. If so the handle must be able to handle the heat.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline stevenb

• Cellarman
  • Aurora, CO
    • Baker's Beer Production and Reviews
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 12:29:26 pm »
I have the Emerilware set that is stainless with the heavy copper bottoms to conduct heat more efficiently and evenly.  I love them.  I've had them for 12 years and don't see getting another set anytime near.  For frying pans, I usually buy a triple set of the three different sizes with the non-stick Teflon coating.  The last set I got at Sam's Club and they've lasted about 10 years.  I use the pan, let it cool, then wipe it out with a paper towel.  Keeps the coating like new.
Member, Aurora City Brew Club
Homebrewing goes from hobby to obsession faster than anything I know!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:54 pm »
Bought the 12" T-Fal skillet ($19- optimal technology) a couple weeks ago. Swore I'd never buy a nonstick but figured what the hay, I'd give one a try after reading on how to use and take care of one.

Manufacturer recommends lightly oiling before use, and it makes sense. They were never meant to be used without fats anyway AFAIK. Works like a charm for omelets, channa masala etc.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »
Bought the 12" T-Fal skillet ($19- optimal technology) a couple weeks ago. Swore I'd never buy a nonstick but figured what the hay, I'd give one a try after reading on how to use and take care of one.

Manufacturer recommends lightly oiling before use, and it makes sense. They were never meant to be used without fats anyway AFAIK. Works like a charm for omelets, channa masala etc.

Yeah, I love my nonstick for omelets.  I'm pretty OCD about oiling/fat before using.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02:39 am »
I'll go back to the cast iron thoughts again. I almost exclusively use cast iron now. I even have a cast iron wok. The outlier is I have 2 ss stock pots that I use for boiling or sauces. And they can go in dishwasher.

There is nothing better than a nice, seasoned non-stick cast iron surface.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 08:46:48 am »
I'll go back to the cast iron thoughts again. I almost exclusively use cast iron now. I even have a cast iron wok. The outlier is I have 2 ss stock pots that I use for boiling or sauces. And they can go in dishwasher.

There is nothing better than a nice, seasoned non-stick cast iron surface.

+ 13 lbs

I have a cast iron double burner griddle that lives on my stove. love me some cast iron.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:33 am »
That company that was at the NHC with the finned pots... they also have pans etc... if you have a gas stove... Obviously I have no idea how evenly they heat.. but in theory it should be pretty even and pretty efficient.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 09:27:28 am »
I'd say cast iron is pretty nifty but not for all applications. The same goes for non-stick technology.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:00 am »
That company that was at the NHC with the finned pots... they also have pans etc... if you have a gas stove... Obviously I have no idea how evenly they heat.. but in theory it should be pretty even and pretty efficient.

I talked to that guy.  Evidently they are really efficient.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

I'd say cast iron is pretty nifty but not for all applications. The same goes for non-stick technology.

Yep. I love my cast iron, but stainless is the best option when it comes to getting a quality sear on a price of fish.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 11:50:43 am »

Yep. I love my cast iron, but stainless is the best option when it comes to getting a quality sear on a price of fish.

I don't know, I can get a pretty mean sear in my cast iron.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:47 am »
I'd rather do a steak or piece of salmon in cast-iron and get that crusty exterior. An omelet or crepe in a nonstick pan when you want to minimize the maillard reaction.